joining at 36- good decision?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by blofeld, Apr 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm bored with my civilian job and want some adventure and a chance to achieve something; I'm interested in Royal Navy as a career, at my age joining as a rating. I'm not from a military background and I'm worried that I'm a bit old for all this, however i'm open to new things and would welcome a challenging way of life. Can anyone shed some light on what it would be like as a mature entrant?
  2. Welcome to Rum Ration, Blofeld.

When will you turn 37?
  3. Is this your mid life crisis?
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Because of the current waiting lists its unlikely that you would be succesful before reaching the age limit.
  5. September this year, also looking into reserves which may be the better option
  6. Ha,ha, yeah I guess it is, although i cant say Ive been happy in my work for awhile now, no real ties and restless
  7. The RFA has a higher age limit - recruiting in a limited way at the moment - but perhaps a possibility for you.
  8. Ta, didnt realise there was a waiting list; 37 in sept so i guess I've missed the boat as it were...
  9. Yes I looked at that- it's certainly an option- only problem ive got is despite holding a degree my maths GCSE was grade C and they are asking for B or higher. I'm also thinking of retaking my GCSE.
  10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I think that the lowest wait at the moment is around the 18 month mark, thats from the time certain elements of the recruiting process have been completed. Have a look at the Newbies threads they will give you some idea.

One of the AFCO people will no doubt be along at some stage to give you more accurate information.

To save Sol. asking loads of questions before getting to the point, could you supply your inside leg measurement.

For Sol. :toothy4:
  11. Turn it in Pops:D:D