Joining as rating then joining as an officer

Rum_pot

Midshipman
Is it possible to join as a rating then when you get the qualifications leave then join as an officer. I know that a rating can become an officer through upper yardman but I heard that is rare. So I thought this would be a easy way to do it or is this not possible.

Wild thoughts from an insomniac.

For whichever route there is always that small but significant matter of the AIB 'qualification' to be gained along the way.

Being a meritocratic organisation I think you'll find that circa 40% of RNOs 'came up through the hawsepipe' as former serving ratings, either as UY or SUY candidates. The RN's Divisional system has a well-honed reputation for spotting/encouraging/mentoring leadership potential at all levels, including in service preps. for the AIB,

Alternatively, your 'easy route' only burns up time unnecessarily:
eg time starting from initial application for rating entry to the earliest discharge date after fulfilling your obligation for return of service. (those early years are pretty intensive with little time for gaining any DIY qualification shortfalls).

Meanwhile your contemporary starting their officer application at the same time as your rating one would likely be 1/2 way through a first appointment at your terminal date.

Unless you hear otherwise from a suitably qualified AFCO I'd say it is possible but IMO would NOT be easy route.

(Anecdote - I knew of only one person who went along that route of yours but he gained his degree outside after his 2 yrs RN National Service. He then became an RNO via AIB etc as an Instructor Officer - But that was a looong time ago.)

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Is it possible to join as a rating then when you get the qualifications leave then join as an officer. I know that a rating can become an officer through upper yardman but I heard that is rare. So I thought this would be a easy way to do it or is this not possible.
Entirely possible. Ex Chef now nearly Nursing officer, I give you...... @photface

Polto

War Hero
I'm not convinced it's as rare as you might perceive it to be. Why would you join, then leave only to have to gamble on getting in again? You'll be in competition with a load of new peers all trying to make the grade for the limited spaces available. But each to his/her own I suppose.

photface

Lantern Swinger
Entirely possible. Ex Chef now nearly Nursing officer, I give you...... @photface
I did indeed follow the path you propose.
What I will say now is I had no intention of coming back when I left so it definitely was not a deliberate thing. Not only that but I left in 2011 and am only just here at BRNC 7 years after the fact.
I’m not saying that it wouldn’t be faster if you went into it with a definite plan but at the same time we all know that the best laid plans don’t always come to fruition. So if you’re willing to gamble...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I did indeed follow the path you propose.
What I will say now is I had no intention of coming back when I left so it definitely was not a deliberate thing. Not only that but I left in 2011 and am only just here at BRNC 7 years after the fact.
I’m not saying that it wouldn’t be faster if you went into it with a definite plan but at the same time we all know that the best laid plans don’t always come to fruition. So if you’re willing to gamble...

How you doin? :)

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Hey! I just finished the first term of BRNC. I’m okay but can’t wait to get out of training and into the job!
How are things with your good self?

Glad you're doing OK. Keep on trucking.
Enjoy your Christmas leave.

FunkyJunky

War Hero
if you are of the required standard, you can be put forward for the officer world as a rating. IE, no need to leave

Sumo

War Hero
What appears to be an easy and logical idea, doesn't always work out that way. If you intended officers role is the same as the rating role then go from rating to officer, if for what ever reason you do not make it you will still have a job. Or get your qualification first and join as an office, you will still have to make the grade?
Good luck.

I have a similar question ... my son has always wanted to join the Navy - especially as an Officer. Unfortunately, he has just missed out on achieving the required grade on his psychometrics (3 times). The guy at the testing (apologies, not sure what he is called) has told him that he has passed all but one of the sections with flying colours (his verbal reasoning has let him down each time).

He is distraught at the thought of not joining the Navy as it really has been a life-long ambition and he has great skills to be an Officer. (I know, I'm his mom - but this is an objective observation :) )

Would you suggest he joins as a Rating and then work up to Officer level? How long would this typically take?

Many thanks

WreckerL

War Hero
While feasible, there are many ex-rating officers, it's not a guarantee that he'll get to officer by the rating route, there's no timescale you can work to as each case is different. What would he do if he requests to go officer and he fails AIB, or it's decided that he's not officer material?

@WreckerL

Many thanks for your response - and good questions - he will need to consider his thoughts on those.

If he does fail, would he still be able to stay in the service as a Rating?

Sumo

War Hero
@WreckerL

Many thanks for your response - and good questions - he will need to consider his thoughts on those.

If he does fail, would he still be able to stay in the service as a Rating?
Applying for officer and then not achieving the grade will not require him to leave the navy, his chosen branch will have things he has to achieve to stay in service, this is all part of progressing within his chosen branch, which he would be expected to achieve if applying for officer. As with all jobs the need of the navy will come first in future branch retention.

Taztiff

War Hero
Applying for officer and then not achieving the grade will not require him to leave the navy, his chosen branch will have things he has to achieve to stay in service, this is all part of progressing within his chosen branch, which he would be expected to achieve if applying for officer. As with all jobs the need of the navy will come first in future branch retention.
The very fact he has made it to AIB as an internal application is very commendable. Not passing AIB at that point does not mean he is all of a sudden no good at his non-officer job. It just means he may not be a perfect match for officer.
Could be a [email protected]@dy good Senior Rate though.

Merman

Midshipman
The only thing I'd ad is that if they go down the upper yardman route then you pretty much need the same qualifications you would need to join as an officer in the first place. At AIB you are required to pass various psychometric tests.

You can however go down the senior upperyardsman route, you don't need A levels or degree but you do need to have reached certain trigger points in your career (probably qualified beyond A levels at this point) . For most branches this is Petty Officer if not chief Petty Officer and have served in the rate for a number of years. You also have to be above 30 years old.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
There was a chap on Faceache yesterday - one picture as a bright eyed baby sailor 'several' years ago and a current one - as a 4 ring Captain!

Well done him.