Joining as Officer but undecided, need helping choosing

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Air Traffic is not as described as above; but Fighter Controllers are.

ATCO are fully civilian qualified ATCs, who either work in air stations, Swanwick Military ATC or on ships. For the first group, they work either in the tower (like civvies) or in the air station radar room doing closer in control. On ships, their role is analogous, with the added bonus your airfield moves in three dimensions.
Was never civvy recognised when I was in. 12 years ago.
JATCC isn't recognised by NATS.
Otherwise, all matelots would leave for higher pay.

I could be wrong though, but that was what the 'score was' when I served. As stated, I could be well out of date.

Was never civvy recognised when I was in. 12 years ago.
JATCC isn't recognised by NATS.
Otherwise, all matelots would leave for higher pay.

I could be wrong though, but that was what the 'score was' when I served. As stated, I could be well out of date.

Did not know that - my presumption was that as they controlled traffic in mixed airspace, they were just as qual’d as the civvies...

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Did not know that - my presumption was that as they controlled traffic in mixed airspace, they were just as qual’d as the civvies...
They do.
But NATS wouldn't recognise JATCC.
As I said I maybe wrong. But, they never did due to the amount of sailors that would leave once trained as the money is better.

This was when I was serving as a controller anyway. I'll stand corrected otherwise.

Because in an era where ALARP and SQEP, in particular in aviation, to not train our people to a civilian standard just seems... odd.

If there were to be a incident directly attributable to ATC c*ck-up, I wonder if it would stand scrutiny by the Defence Safety Regulator.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Because in an era where ALARP and SQEP, in particular in aviation, to not train our people to a civilian standard just seems... odd.

If there were to be a incident directly attributable to ATC c*ck-up, I wonder if it would stand scrutiny by the Defence Safety Regulator.
Fair enough. As stated. Was never civvy recognised when I was in. Pretty sure it's same now too.
You must know a bit more than me then.
We had ATCO'a leave the mob, but had to pay to become civvy ATC.
Same as AC's.
This was at VL and CU towers.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
I wasn't completely sure of the distinction between FC and ATCO. Thought it was much the same. Ta for clarfication.
FC and ATCO are different kettle mate.
Not completely clued up on FC, but it's more tactical based than the other.
AC wise, we were all tactical controllers until completion of JATCC.

Latest Threads