Joining as an officer...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by wallace100, May 30, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am just starting my royal navy application. I wan't to go in as a mine clearer diver, or officer equivalent (warfare officer). I have the qualifications to go in at officer level but if I do not get selected in the initial training/selection will they offer me a place at standard level or will i have to go through re-applying all over again?

Any help would be useful

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Some elements of officer selection that you pass, are transferable. Trouble is, if you pass the test for Officer and get as far as AIB but then decide you want to join as a rating Diver, the medical is different, the PJFT needs to have been passed sub ten minutes thirty seconds, you'll need to pass a rating interview and PDA. In effect, the only thing valid would be the application forms & the recruiting test.

If you want to be a professional Diver, join as a rating. MCDOs supervise rather than regularly get wet.
  3. Thanks Ninjia, I think I would be ok for the fitness PJFT testing. Now I just need to decide whether I really want to be an officer or a diver?!?!
  4. Rating = Mine Clearance Diver and some gopher jobs (that's gopher, not goffa)Officer = Manager of the above, lots of paperwork and meetings, not much diving