Joining as an Officer - Qualifications Question

Macaroon

Hi all,

I had a couple of questions about joining the Royal Navy, I haven’t been able to find answers like my case on here on elsewhere.
I would like to join the Royal Navy as an officer, however I do not meet the qualifications. I have the following:

GCSE- History, Geography, English (Grade 4), Maths (Grade 6).
A Level - History, Geography and Business studies at above 96 UCAS points (above standard)

So my problem is I do not have 5 GCSEs, although I have Business at a level higher. I also didn’t make the grade on maths and english.

Would you reckon I could get an exemption from the above, or would that not be possible?
If so what would the other options be?
Or would I be best joining as a Rating and going through the Upper Yardman scheme?

Many Thanks

Drakey

War Hero
You've looked at the eligibility requirements (which are in place for a reason). You don't have them and still want to know if you can get an exemption. That would make a mockery of the whole system, wouldn't it..

Macaroon

Ok, understood. May I ask, do you know much about the Upper Yardman Scheme, about being promoted from Rating to Officer. Would you recommend it or know how long it typically takes, if put forward of course. Thanks for your help

Drakey

War Hero
Eligibility and suitability are two very different aspects. Currently you are not eligible. What do you think makes you suitable...

SeaHawk14

Badgeman
Ok, understood. May I ask, do you know much about the Upper Yardman Scheme, about being promoted from Rating to Officer. Would you recommend it or know how long it typically takes, if put forward of course. Thanks for your help
Your best bet is to ask at the AFCO, and likewise with your eligibility. Call an Careers Advisor and ask them buddy, there's loads of in's and outs to eligibility. They will probably, as Drakey said, say No, but they may also factor in other educational qualifications. Even if they say no, at least you can then ask the questions about the Upper Yardman Scheme and they'll be more clued up about it.

D

Deleted 108567

Hi all,

I had a couple of questions about joining the Royal Navy, I haven’t been able to find answers like my case on here on elsewhere.
I would like to join the Royal Navy as an officer, however I do not meet the qualifications. I have the following:

GCSE- History, Geography, English (Grade 4), Maths (Grade 6).
A Level - History, Geography and Business studies at above 96 UCAS points (above standard)

So my problem is I do not have 5 GCSEs, although I have Business at a level higher. I also didn’t make the grade on maths and english.

Would you reckon I could get an exemption from the above, or would that not be possible?
If so what would the other options be?
Or would I be best joining as a Rating and going through the Upper Yardman scheme?

Many Thanks
Get yourself English Maths and one other A level at grade C or above and you're part way there.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
You don't say how old you are, but (and I HATE to admit it!) Rumtubb is right. Use the search button - many MANY have tried with much 'better' qualifications than you, but not having the basic maths and English is a big no no.

Perry

Lantern Swinger
Don't know if its changed at all but been racking my brain to remember how many UY I came across. Now I know they don't all make it public knowledge but I can recollect 3 in 26 years. Mind you when I got to Warrant Officer I probably stopped counting.

D

Deleted 108567

If I remember rightly, you still need an English 'pass' at GSCE level.
All higher qualifications are irrelevant.
An O level pass in English and Maths is essential (sic). Options are kept open and liable to change if there is a dearth of suitable candidates. Warm and willing might fit the bill in some circumstances.

Latest Threads