Joining as an officer at 26 (soon 27) years old

Is there much hope for someone applying for a commission at 27 years old?

I’m aware that there are a limited number of non professional Officer roles available for looking to apply in their late twenties. However, I still wonder whether this will count against me considerably during selection, any input on this would be appreciated. I should also note that I’m aware I’d be serving alongside younger lads with the same rank, but it doesn’t bother me at all, nor does taking a big paycut to join.

In terms of my background, I’m lean and physically fit and train five times a week; both cardio and Olympic-style weightlifting. With regards to my education I have a BSc and an MSc both in Computer Science/Embedded Systems from a good engineering University in the North East so I have some basic electronics knowledge as well, but likely not enough for professional officer entry (systems engineer officer in the RFA). I work in automotive R&D/telematics/telemetry in Sweden, previously I spent a couple of years in Dublin/London doing consultancy. It has all been desk work for the most part, and as far as I know programming and microelectronics has no real place in the military.

I also barely scrape 180 UCAS points with the old system from what I remember. I’d have to dig out my old certificates, but I was a right little twat as a teenager and pissed my A levels down the drain. If I have 170 or 175, would they overlook that for someone with a masters in STEM with distinction? I’m pretty sure I have a few D’s and an E.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Is there much hope for someone applying for a commission at 27 years old?

I’m aware that there are a limited number of non professional Officer roles available for looking to apply in their late twenties. However, I still wonder whether this will count against me considerably during selection, any input on this would be appreciated. I should also note that I’m aware I’d be serving alongside younger lads with the same rank, but it doesn’t bother me at all, nor does taking a big paycut to join.

In terms of my background, I’m lean and physically fit and train five times a week; both cardio and Olympic-style weightlifting. With regards to my education I have a BSc and an MSc both in Computer Science/Embedded Systems from a good engineering University in the North East so I have some basic electronics knowledge as well, but likely not enough for professional officer entry (systems engineer officer in the RFA). I work in automotive R&D/telematics/telemetry in Sweden, previously I spent a couple of years in Dublin/London doing consultancy. It has all been desk work for the most part, and as far as I know programming and microelectronics has no real place in the military.

I also barely scrape 180 UCAS points with the old system from what I remember. I’d have to dig out my old certificates, but I was a right little twat as a teenager and pissed my A levels down the drain. If I have 170 or 175, would they overlook that for someone with a masters in STEM with distinction? I’m pretty sure I have a few D’s and an E.
My guess is, if it's considered an accredited engineering degree, then it's feasible a Master's could be considered in lieu of a UCAS shortfall - particularly if applying as a Submariner Weapons Engineering Officer.

Certainly worth an ask by digging out your certificates, bimbling into your local AFCO and asking whether AIB would consider a one-off academic waiver.

Good luck.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Get your certificates and evidence of experience, you may well be accepted as a WE Officer if that interested you. Joining at 26/7 won't prevent promotion but by implication you will be slightly behind the curve of others of a similar age.

I would ask the careers office to call the WE Branch Manager/Career Managers in West Battery and ask if they can make any exemptions.

My age didn't come up at all during the application process, I joined BRNC at 26 and found myself fitter than a lot of people there.

Suggest you speak to your careers officer about your degree. I know that Computer Science isn't accepted in the ME world but they may have different requirements for WE's. Educational waivers happen all the time, if you're the type of person the Navy wants you may be able to get one.