joining as an AET need some more info please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by dan1295, Oct 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all, i am applying to become an air engineer technician was just wondering on how much time you get at sea, is it an enjoyable job?, do you get to travel much? and were will i likely be based? thanks for all the help you can give
  2. There used to be a saying RTFM (read the feckin Manual)
    Use the site search facility and ALL your questions will be answered as if by magic
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Being a bright prospective AET I feel sure that if you search in the newbie section a plethora of really gen info will come forth and make you an even more knowledgable future AET.

Save us old grubbers, (that will be an AET in old money), going over the same shit over and over and over and over!!!!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

Sea. Run that one by me again. I think I may of heard of that at one stage.
  5. Time at sea: depends on what aircraft you get drafted to, and if you get a job with an aircraft on a ship (known as being on a 'flight'. A lot of people do get to sea, I did 6 months in the gulf earlier this year on a ship, however certain aircraft rarely go to sea, so if you're on those, then no.
    Travel, yes, on any aircraft type, you will go abroad probably within about 2 years of joining, even if it just to Norway or Germany for a weekend.
    You will be based at HMS Raleigh for 11(?) weeks basic training, HMS Sultan 6 months (basic air engineer tech training), then to either RNAS Yeovilton, or RNAS Culdrose, you can google those for the aircraft based there. From there the fleet is your oyster.

If travel is high on what you want from the RN, then don't go AET. Go ET(ME), ET(WE), Warfare, CIS, Chef... go anything except AET. AET are one of 2 or 3 branches where one can go a full career and very infrequently (sometimes never) sail the seas.
    Enjoyable? Depends if you like watching Jeremy Kyle or not really.
  6. He will not be getting drafted to any aircraft any time soon. As the FAA has none!! He will be rotary only as in parraffin pidgeons,on a ships flight .
    • Like Like x 1
  7. redmonkey

I think one of the killicks on my Sqdn has 14 days at sea (including time on the Gosport ferry)
  8. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

******* sea dodger, I've heard of a female fleet joss..............
  9. redmonkey

Aye but she isn't one of Gods own branch is she?