Joining as an AET hopefully, but it's complicated...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Chappers1, Nov 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone, I am currently in the process of applying to be an AET but, I have hit what seems like a bump in the road and, I have some questions too.

Firstly, I have served previously in the TA, I left as a Cpl after finish Herrick, the AFCO staff have said that this makes me a re-joiner and muddies the water a bit however, I am rather confused as to what issues this brings up?

Secondly, the AFCO staff have given me advice about being fast tracked, I'm not sure as to whether I should take this with a pinch of salt or is there such a thing? Has anyone heard of a fast track for AET? I can't say I'm entirely bothered to be honest, worth asking though.

Cheers for any help :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

If you have a Masters and a degree, why are you joining as a Junior Rate? Ninja_Stoker (or resident AFCO Guru) will be returning from from one of his games of golf shortly, so will give you the SP on the re-entry issues.

Good luck. :thumbleft:

3. Unfortunately I don't have A-Levels so even though I have a BA(Hons) and MSc the AFCO people said I can't be an Officer. But it's all good I'm actually looking forward to being a Rating and having a laugh and seeing the world!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

4. If you can tell me the square root of a jam jar the your AEO material.

If you can open it then go AEM, (deciding to boycott the T from now on).

5. Chappers, what are your degrees in?

6. BA (Hons) History and a MSc in International business management

7. A 4am engine change will be a breeze then! :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'm not too sure but I am excited to learn! I'm a bit worried about the RT I haven't done the type of maths it covers and science in years! I would love to do this job though! Get me in the Navy quick!

9. Ok, so you may not have a numerate degree yet, but obv have the capability to study for one. I take it that doing either HND or BEng in Mechanical or Electrical eng doesnt appeal at the moment? If you show enough aptitude and are streamed fast track you will be on the first rung at the ONC/D level, with some maths and physics at HNC/D level depending on your trade.

As for the RT there are lots of threads relating to it, get the practice in and give it speed (test against the clock)

10. I would love to do a BEng but not as a civvi! Too long spend in education now! I want to travel a bit and hopefully do it through the OU with the Navy!