Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining as a rating with a degree

B

Blackberry

Hi,

Is it possible to join as a rating with a degree and work up to Chief Petty Officer/ Warrant Officer within a couple of years? Are you able to join as an Able rate then be considered for senior rates and be promoted to CPO from AB?

I have a degree but I'm not interested in the occifer type.

G

guestm

Hi,

Is it possible to join as a rating with a degree and work up to Chief Petty Officer/ Warrant Officer within a couple of years? Are you able to join as an Able rate then be considered for senior rates and be promoted to CPO from AB?

I have a degree but I'm not interested in the occifer type.

Only if you have a degree in fine art. That will get you straight in as a Chief Writer.

finknottle

Banned
Blackberry, as you have a degree you could always take the fast track route, estimated time AB to WO1 around 22 months.

The_walk_of_shame

Lantern Swinger
Everyone has a degree these days. My Sister was unemployed for a bit, so she decided to go and get a degree.

She got a 2:1.

Now she works in a call centre on minimum wage with a load of other ***** who also have degrees.

What makes you so special you ******* zip sniffer?

Rachelthree

War Hero
Everyone has a degree these days. My Sister was unemployed for a bit, so she decided to go and get a degree.

Now she works in a call centre on minimum wage with a load of other ***** who also have degrees.

Wow.

What branch are you applying for thread starter?

finknottle

Banned

So your sisters a **** then?

B

Blackberry

Wow, would be interesting if he's got through the RT. Maybe he's going pongo...

Whats a zip sniffer anyway?

Waspie

War Hero
I had to wait about 4-5 years after I joined up but I managed to get three degrees. 'When will I see you again'. Here I am 40 odd years later and I've lost the record so back to square one again with no degrees!!! :grin:

Rachelthree

War Hero

I was going to let this go but i am in a really shit mood and as i am trapped on a train i have no real person to vent to. It really bugs me this attitude that some people without degrees assume that people with degrees think they're the bomb diggity. He was just asking about promotion prospects, didnt say he was too good to be a rating or whatever, just appears to have aspirations- what a knob right. A degree is not a golden ticket to a wonderful job nor does it make you better than people that enter the workforce instead of continue in academia. But with hard work in other areas as well such as gaining work experience and partaking in other activities it can open doors for you, and even if it doesn't it is just as commendable as someone making their way in a career for 3 years. If your sister cannot find suitable employment then perhaps consider a postgrad to obtain a profession, many of which come with attractive bursaries.

If someone could bring me a drip filled with lambrini and some jaffa cakes that would lift my mood. Thx.

G

guestm

I was going to let this go but i am in a really shit mood and as i am trapped on a train i have no real person to vent to. It really bugs me this attitude that some people without degrees assume that people with degrees think they're the bomb diggity. He was just asking about promotion prospects, didnt say he was too good to be a rating or whatever, just appears to have aspirations- what a knob right. A degree is not a golden ticket to a wonderful job nor does it make you better than people that enter the workforce instead of continue in academia. But with hard work in other areas as well such as gaining work experience and partaking in other activities it can open doors for you, and even if it doesn't it is just as commendable as someone making their way in a career for 3 years. If your sister cannot find suitable employment then perhaps consider a postgrad to obtain a profession, many of which come with attractive bursaries.

If someone could bring me a drip filled with lambrini and some jaffa cakes that would lift my mood. Thx.

Are you telling me there are people in the UK under the age of 30 who don't have a degree? I thought everyone had one?

Waspie

War Hero

Errr, bomb diggity - please explain to an old fart! Sorry non drinker with a shortage of Jaffa Cakes.

Rachelthree

War Hero
Are you telling me there are people in the UK under the age of 30 who don't have a degree? I thought everyone had one?

Apparently yeah..what is more surprising is that none of them go into professions such as teaching, nursing anymore- they all work in call centres.

Waspie: it means amazing and usually relates to people rather than events or inanimate objects- so 'he is the bomb diggity'. I don't use it in spoken language but my thumbs felt it appropriate to type mid rant.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Mmmmmmm Jaffa cakes! I love the raspberry ones, but any will do - box at a time I'm afraid, as once started they all have to go, else they go off!

And no, I'm not a bloater!

Rachelthree

War Hero
Mmmmmmm Jaffa cakes! I love the raspberry ones, but any will do - box at a time I'm afraid, as once started they all have to go, else they go off!

And no, I'm not a bloater!

Wait...they make raspberry ones?! I feel excited that they exist yet repulsed in myself that i was not aware of their existance! It is impossible to just eat one or two, has to be at least a good third of the box. Then the other two thirds...

And yes, i would be a bloater if i was weak and always gave in to jaffas, right now though that monent on the lips would be worth a lifetime on the hips as the saying goes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Joining RFA as apprentice rating (but have a CoC) RFA 3
Rum_pot Joining as rating then joining as an officer Joining the Royal Navy 19
S [security check]British National joining the RN rating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
tangerine Graduate joining as a rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
B Joining as a rating after AIB fail. Advice needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
G Joining RFA - Rating recruitment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
P Joining during COVID-19 RFA 3
O Joining date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
F Joining RNR/RMR - Potential Transfer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
A Course joining instructions Bases / Shore Est 7
D Female joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Pre Joining Fitness Test Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
chorzxx Pre-joining fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R Trying to trump the age stakes. Joining at 38, possibilities? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
A Joining up with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Joining with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Multiirishman Joining the Rfa RFA 18
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
7 Joining the RFA as a chef apprentice RFA 8
Y Issue about Joining (Asperger's) Joining the Royal Navy 1
H Joining as a marine engineer (submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
W Joining kit l Joining the Royal Navy 36
N Joining Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
M Thinking of joining RNR. Ex raf rigger Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 35
S Joining tip’s and info Joining the Royal Navy 74
TechnicPR Joining with Aspergers? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
F Joining as a Systems Engineer as an ETO on Cruise Ships RFA 4
A Am I banned from joining the navy? Joining the Royal Navy 39
O Buying Life Insurance before joining... Finance & Pensions 17
0 Joining the Navy as AET compared to RAF aircraft technician Joining the Royal Navy 26
L Joining as Officer but undecided, need helping choosing Joining the Royal Navy 25
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
E Joining up! Various. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
JBNVY18 Re Joining after PVR Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
David-19™ Joining the Royal Marines Reserve at 30. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
T Joining process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Joining age, when is actually too late? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
J Joining process RFA 16
Gnasher Re-joining after 4 years Joining the Royal Navy 3
Dabs Is it worthwhile ..., joining that is? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Joining as a chef, should I join the RFA or the RN? RFA 11
Rum_pot Joining 148 Battery UPO 11
E CT joining times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Am I banned from joining the Navy forever? Please help me :) Joining the Royal Navy 18
Spiced Buoy Leadership oppertunities before joining as officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
M Just done PRNC and have joining date, but have doubts too Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
M Joining as AC but not sure AFCO have been honest about the role Joining the Royal Navy 50
K Joining at 37?! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Oldest_Nozzer Re-Joining the RN - Some Advice Please.. Joining the Royal Navy 4