Fully agree. Spud tanky and DHP were my aim in life.
Good thread. Ambitions? As a very green 16 year old, navy life was a shock to my system for first few year....a junior stoker doing something I enjoyed, punching sprayers, making my stoker po confident in me doing it 'right' if and when things went tits up. From very early days I decided I wanted to be one of 'them'....a stoker po, master and commander of all he surveyed, in the boiler room at sea. Well, long story short, hard work and perseverance, particularly educationally as I failed namet at Raleigh, I made it. Proudest moment of my life at the time, at the captain's table getting my second hook! Then, there I was, master and commander of my boiler room, in my early 20's....
That's my tale, ambition achieved....small beer compared to the attainments of some, but for me, from callow 16 year old, low education, little confidence, nil leadership qualities, the Andrew brought out in me what I never knew I had. Also my appreciation of the sacred tot, and courage sparkling!
Ambition?.......

Waspie

War Hero
Good thread. Ambitions? As a very green 16 year old, navy life was a shock to my system for first few year....a junior stoker doing something I enjoyed, punching sprayers, making my stoker po confident in me doing it 'right' if and when things went tits up. From very early days I decided I wanted to be one of 'them'....a stoker po, master and commander of all he surveyed, in the boiler room at sea. Well, long story short, hard work and perseverance, particularly educationally as I failed namet at Raleigh, I made it. Proudest moment of my life at the time, at the captain's table getting my second hook! Then, there I was, master and commander of my boiler room, in my early 20's....
That's my tale, ambition achieved....small beer compared to the attainments of some, but for me, from callow 16 year old, low education, little confidence, nil leadership qualities, the Andrew brought out in me what I never knew I had. Also my appreciation of the sacred tot, and courage sparkling!
Ambition?.......
Excellent SP. We all have personal mountains. Mine was getting those wings on my arm. Three attempts, but I climbed my mountain and overcome personal and educational obstacles to reach my summit.

Stirlin

War Hero
Ambition?.......
My bold , similar......I am thick as mince at Maths and took namet again after dog watch study and failed again.....and again so gave up.
When I started in IT I failed Excell exam first time round and only just managed to scrape through second time , had a shufty at the advanced Excell exam .....made the back of my knees sweat.
Odd thing is Excell being sort of maths so I struggle but Access being logic I found that a whole lot easier and pissed that exam.

Chris P

War Hero
All joking aside, some excellent advice by pompeyexpat, Wookie42, superpom et al. I can only add you should be comfortable with what you're doing but don't be frightened by going out of your comfort zone - sounds sort of contradictory on the surface! As the saying goes you'll never ever know if you don't give it a go.

Without wanting to sound patronising a good first post too you've provoked some excellent responses which hopefully will give you some heart and direction in the matter.

Stirlin

War Hero
My bold , similar......I am thick as mince at Maths and took namet again after dog watch study and failed again.....and again so gave up.
When I started in IT I failed Excell exam first time round and only just managed to scrape through second time , had a shufty at the advanced Excell exam .....made the back of my knees sweat.
Odd thing is Excell being sort of maths so I struggle but Access being logic I found that a whole lot easier and pissed that exam.

Now that we have left the EU is this no longer valid ? :)
-
pass 1.jpg

-
long ago retired so wot should I do with it ? , piss on it , set fire to it or just wipe my arse with it.
and there is this aswell.....
-
pass.JPG

it is laminated so would be like Izal medicated if I wanted to wipe my arse with it.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Now that we have left the EU is this no longer valid ? :)
-
View attachment 58242

-
long ago retired so wot should I do with it ? , piss on it , set fire to it or just wipe my arse with it.
and there is this aswell.....
-
View attachment 58243

it is laminated so would be like Izal medicated if I wanted to wipe my arse with it.
I've painted over the word European and written "British" in felt pen on mine, looks fine to me.