Joining as a rating after AIB fail. Advice needed

Jack1878

Midshipman
You will know yourself if you are cut out to be an officer having been to AIB once. I came away from AIB knowing that I don't have enough experience/qualities to be an officer just yet.

If you feel deep down you have what they are looking for, go for it again.

Last edited:

Boab1994

Midshipman
I would like to thank everyone for their help with my question and your wise words of wisdom. I received a letter today from my AFCO with a date for my interview (no medical) August 21st. Can anyone give me some examples of the scenarios that will be asked during the interview as i am struggling to find them elsewhere
Thank you

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I would like to thank everyone for their help with my question and your wise words of wisdom. I received a letter today from my AFCO with a date for my interview (no medical) August 21st. Can anyone give me some examples of the scenarios that will be asked during the interview as i am struggling to find them elsewhere
Thank you
If you are having the newer 'competency-based' selection interview, the letter will detail what is expected of you, if it's unclear just give your careers adviser a call in advance. If the letter makes no reference to the interview content beyond advising it's a selection interview, just take it as read.

The interview will last about an hour and the idea is to assess your suitability for the job rather than your ability to rehearse and revise categoric answers to set questions. There's no definitive right or wrong answer so it's best not to over-analyse or second guess what might or might not be asked, just take it as it comes - it's nothing like AIB, so don't get stressed about it.

The interview lasts about an hour on average. Good luck.