Joining as a rating after AIB fail. Advice needed

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Boab1994, Jul 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I failed AIB in March and after quietly sulking in a corner for a few months I'm ready to join up again... This time as a rating.
    I am now looking to join as a ET-ME(SM).
    I know that I am in date for my recruit test but I am receiving mixed messages about my medical and if I will nref to retake it.

Cheers

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

2. Thank you. And yes I have spoken to my AFCO and they are the people giving me the mixed messages as to my medical. Thank you

3. Have you spoken to your ACLO since your AIB? What did he/she say?

4. Don't speak to the pongo or crab ones then - go to Jack direct.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The recruiting test remains valid 3 years, the medical stays valid unless you have incurred injury, visited your GP or A&E (or whatever they call it today) since the last medical, the PJFT remains valid 12 months, SC 12 months. You'll also need to undergo a Rating's selection Interview.

6. I have had no reply from my ACLO since AIB. Thank you
    ninja stoker Thank you for your help

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  7. Are you in the RNR? Might be better if you just joined it (and NOW is the time!), got your commission that way and then went in as a regular?

8. Are you sure you are not keen to try for officer again if you are able to?

9. I am not in the RNR and I was given a 24 months resit timescale for AIB, so my plan was to stay at the bottom and get in sooner.

10. 'The bottom' isn't a consolation prize and you are not guranteed to be able to work your way up, i would wait the 2 years if i were you rather than be stuck in a role you are only doing to get in quicker at a level you don't aspire to. Good luck though whatever you decide

• Like Like x 3
  11. ACLOs contact all candidates within 14 days of the candidate's return from his/her AIB for a debrief though. Did that not happen?

BTW, which Officer role did you apply for and how old are you? What tripped you up at the AIB?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  12. No I have had no response from my ACLO after AIB. And I was told I was poor overall mainly my general knowledge

13. Ninja_Stoker

You can give your ACLO a call for the full debrief if you wish but it's only of use if you are intending to re-apply as a direct entry officer.

If you already know your flaws, it doesn't do much for the ego having it re-iterated, to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  14. It sounds like you are determined to join the RN and that's a good thing. It also sounds as if you aspire to achieve your best and, that too, is a good thing. Finally, it sounds as though you've done some soul searching and have managed to be honest with yourself and realise direct entry as an officer is not really in your grasp. From your report of 'poor' from the AIB and the fact that they said 24 months, instead of 12, I would share your realisation that it's not for you....just as it is not for many.

What is important now is to use your determination to join the RN as a catalyst for your entry as a rating and strive to do the best you can from that standpoint. There are many who have done the same before and there will be many behind you. What's more, it would be very interesting to see how many of those who originally aspired to join as an officer but joined as a rating instead actually found they enjoyed it so much that they decided to bin the idea of gold braid but achieve more on the Lower Deck. Something about fish size versus pond size springs to mind :icon_smile:

• Like Like x 6
  15. Thank you. I forgot to add I am 19(18at the time of AIB) and we'd initially going for warfare officer SM

16. Ninja_Stoker

To give you a bit of inspiration - in the Engineering Officer disciplines, about 40% joined initially as a Rating.

A bit of hands-on experience and practical leadership training can very much improve the prospects of securing a Commission at a later date.

One thing that always amuses me is the young Engineering Officer graduate's look of dismay when he/she gets told to: "put that bloody spanner down."

Joining as a rating ain't that bad, as an Engineering Technician you do the job itself rather than manage those that do the job. When it comes to managing those that do the "hands-on", nothing beats a bit of practical first hand knowledge.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Are you working at the moment or at college, B?

18. I am currently working full time (the same hours as the AFCO)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

19. In that case, I would suggest ringing the AFCO and asking whether one of the CAs there might be available for an appointment at the end of the day, given that it's difficult for you to go there during normal AFCO hours. Once you have arranged to go in, pick up a copy of Navy News and refresh your knowledge of current deployments.

Browse through the job description too:

http://c69011.r11.cf3.rackcdn.com/af63b3c6b30540219f1c109aecc5ca67-0x0.pdf

What appeals to you about that particular job?

20. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Lunch break? Book a "doctor's appointment"..? :?

• Like Like x 1