Joining as a chef

Hi everyone. I apologise if any of these questions have already been answered.
Im currently in my last year of school (year 11) and im looking to join the Royal Navy. The catering services chef role appeals to me. One problem I have is that my family really don’t want me to join as a chef. How should I I go about telling them I’m going to join the navy doing this role? (Sorry if this sounds stupid)

Also, how are you drafted to a ship and shore base. Do you get a choice of where you are based and what ship you serve on or is it down to the Navy?

Thanks I’m advanced everyone and sorry if these questions seem stupid

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
If YOU want to be a chef - be a chef! If YOU want to join the RN - join the RN! It is a win/win for you. A chef's task early on in the career can be thankless, as with any job. However, the Navy used to train the chefs pretty well and there used to be some brilliant jobs around for the good ones. If you apply yourself, you'll get a good training which will stand you in good stead when you eventually leave the Service. At least you should get a better job than flipping burgers in Maccy D! Think cruise ship or yacht - why not! You'll also get a pension if you stay the distance.

You can ask to go to a certain ship etc, however, the Navy decides in the end!

Tell your folks about the instant good pay and pension, the good training you'll get and the fact they'll be able to rent out your room soon!

If YOU want to be a chef - be a chef! If YOU want to join the RN - join the RN! It is a win/win for you. A chef's task early on in the career can be thankless, as with any job. However, the Navy used to train the chefs pretty well and there used to be some brilliant jobs around for the good ones. If you apply yourself, you'll get a good training which will stand you in good stead when you eventually leave the Service. At least you should get a better job than flipping burgers in Maccy D! Think cruise ship or yacht - why not! You'll also get a pension if you stay the distance.

You can ask to go to a certain ship etc, however, the Navy decides in the end!

Tell your folks about the instant good pay and pension, the good training you'll get and the fact they'll be able to rent out your room soon!
Thanks for the response mate. Makes me feel a lot better about it. I’m gonna continue with my chef application

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Every pub and restaurant in my area is screaming out for chefs at the moment, you'll get excellent training, free medical and dental care, and after the first 6 months good pay, when done with RN you'll never be out of work as it doesn't matter how much automation there is, people will still need to eat.

The only other guaranteed civvy job is undertaker, some would say both jobs go together ;)

Union Jack

Lantern Swinger
Every pub and restaurant in my area is screaming out for chefs at the moment, you'll get excellent training, free medical and dental care, and after the first 6 months good pay, when done with RN you'll never be out of work as it doesn't matter how much automation there is, people will still need to eat.

The only other guaranteed civvy job is undertaker, some would say both jobs go together ;)
Surely you're not suggesting that RN chefs might poison anyone?

More seriously Sonar and Wrecker are giving good advice. Former RN chefs are in great demand, whether whilst serving or subsequently, probably more than ever in both cases, so don't let your family deter you.

Jack

slim

War Hero
Everyone and I mean everyone slags off the chefs. Lots of jokes made about the branch but in all honesty Navy chefs are well trained and produce some excellent meals. When you consider the low daily amount of cash they are allowed to feed hungry men and women enough to enable them to work then you will know that they are not just chefs but magicians :)
Having eaten in pay as you starve messes shoreside run by civilians I for one would rather eat on a ship any day.
The quality of the food on board is far superior to shoreside messing.
A trained Navy chef will always find work after leaving the RN
Now chefs are paid extremely well however there is little you can do about the unsocial working hours :)

Thanks for the response mate

More seriously Sonar and Wrecker are giving good advice. Former RN chefs are in great demand, whether whilst serving or subsequently, probably more than ever in both cases, so don't let your family deter you.

Jack

Jack
Yeah thanks mate. I think once I’ve started training they will be alright with it.

Everyone and I mean everyone slags off the chefs. Lots of jokes made about the branch but in all honesty Navy chefs are well trained and produce some excellent meals. When you consider the low daily amount of cash they are allowed to feed hungry men and women enough to enable them to work then you will know that they are not just chefs but magicians :)
Having eaten in pay as you starve messes shoreside run by civilians I for one would rather eat on a ship any day.
The quality of the food on board is far superior to shoreside messing.
A trained Navy chef will always find work after leaving the RN
Now chefs are paid extremely well however there is little you can do about the unsocial working hours :)
Thankyou mate

A mate of mine (RAF Chef) did 6 years then left, due to leaving a relationship a few weeks before the wedding he had to get away from the N West pretty quick (she was from an Italian family). The training he received got him some top jobs on cruise ships and eventually as chef on a private yacht (only used few months a year) he lived on it in the med and had a great time.

Due to chance meetings and taking a punt on a few deals he was offered he's now a very rich man running recruitment agencies in catering, entertainment and during lockdown quickly set up a successful covid deep cleaning company.

He always said if he hadn't become a chef none of the doors would have opened for him.

Latest Threads