Joining as a chef, should I join the RFA or the RN?

CM264

Midshipman
Burger King would be most rewarding lol, TBH not many folks have experience of both, do you want to be a matelot or civilain seafarer? Only you can decide what's best for you.

Lingo

Navy
good wage and pension
Good promotion prospects
Help to buy scheme

RFA
good leave, work 4 months get 3 months off
Decent wage, roughly 27k for working maybe 7 months of the year.
No fitness test

The navy are a like a scalpel, they do one specific role and they do it well.
The RFA are like a swiss army knife.

Taztiff

War Hero
The navy are a like a scalpel, they do one specific role and they do it well.
Ermm, one specific role? Not sure that is totally true.
RN's one specific role? That will be kill people then.
Hang on, no - that will be the Continuous Nuclear Deterrent - not want to kill people by being ready to kill people.
Disaster Relief (yep, RFA do that a lot as well nowadays - they never used to so much). Not killing people.
Freedom of seaways, defence of the realm, fishery protection, international cooperation et al.

The OP might is advised to read the Navy News and look at the diversity of tasks performed by the Naval Service - RN, RM and RFA. It will give an outline of the full spectrum of taskings.

Lingo

Apologies. I did not mean the navy as a whole I meant individual roles like deck department do a cross of seaman spec. and warfare in RFA but in navy they do something specific like helicopter handler or gunnery. Not meaning offense in any way.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Apologies. I did not mean the navy as a whole I meant individual roles like deck department do a cross of seaman spec. and warfare in RFA but in navy they do something specific like helicopter handler or gunnery. Not meaning offense in any way.
RN chefs are also first aid party.

Lingo

As a secondary role yes, not as the primary role. I don't think my point applies to chefs so much. Sorry I'm from a bias department.

Taztiff

War Hero
Dont forget that one of the reasons many people join the mob is for the day to day variety, not just doing the same thing, in the same office/factory/shop every day.

What do you think is better to work for?
Simple.. do you want to be in the Royal Navy? Yes apply.

Or do you not want to be in the Royal Navy? don't apply but if want a career at sea look at RFA and any other merchant career.

RFA bridges a gap between the RN and merchant fleet.

RFA chef does the same course (bar 1 or 2 elements) as the RN chef, but do not do the phase 1 militarisation phase.

RN leave training to go into a billet of AB Catering Services, RFA go as a super numary position of Apprentice chef.

Starting wages is similar but RN T&C's are very different. Once qualified in the RFA the leave is very different.

Depends what you want.