joining an URNU

LiteLite

Midshipman
I am going to Portsmouth Uni in September and hoping to apply to the URNU there, don't suppose any of you know what the academic requirements are to get in? Although my course needed 300 points I got in with less because of my experience and previous studies, do they ask for the 180 points as if you were applying for Officer?

:)

soleil

War Hero
LL

The URNUs themselves don't ask for UCAS points from potential joiners AFAIK. Some URNU members go on to join the RN but others don't, so it would be a bit unfair to impose the requirements for Officer processing on everyone.

I will be back in a few minutes with the contact details for your regional URNU.

The question, however, of applying without 180 UCAS points to join the Royal Navy per se as an Officer is rather more complex.

LiteLite

Midshipman
soleil said:
LL

The URNUs themselves don't ask for UCAS points from potential joiners AFAIK. Some URNU members go on to join the RN but others don't, so it would be a bit unfair to impose the requirements for Officer processing on everyone.

I will be back in a few minutes with the contact details for Pompey's URNU.

The question, however, of applying without 180 UCAS points to join the Royal Navy per se as an Officer is rather more complex.

Thanks soleil!

I have thought about applying as an Officer after my degree, and have contacted the Uni about the possibility of re-doing some of my a levels at a local college alongside my degree, so hopefully by the time I have my degree I will also have the correct UCAS points. Thanks again, I dont start until September but I want to get all the info I can as it was a big decision for me to pick Uni over the Navy, and this seems like a good way to experience both then open oppourtunities for when I leave. :)

AntC

Lantern Swinger
I could be totally wrong here, but as far as I remember the requirements in terms of GCSEs and A-Levels were the same as as for officer entry.

Like I say I could be wrong though, so definitely check!

A

angrydoc

IB08 said:
I doubt that the URNUs will be cut, they are paid from a different pot and its LAND that has overspent.

With a looming Strategic Defence Review, I think that comment is naive at best!

trehorn

War Hero
Can anyone confirm if the URNU will accept 2nd year students.

I have a couple who are looking at withdrawing their application for the RNR to join the URNU but they're already half way through their first year.

They believe that the commitment will be less (although I've read on line that it may be more in some respects?).

Badgeman
Anyone got any more recent experience of URNUs, are they usually oversubscribed and if so, what criteria do they use to select? Fitness, enthusiasm, academic qualifications, personality? Reading this thread, what does associate membership mean by contrast to full membership?

Latest Threads