Joining Advice

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Lost_Soul, May 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey,
    I'm new to the forums although I have read them occasionally, I decided to register today as I have been thinking about joining the navy for awhile now and after going to my local career's office i have been left with some booklets to read through and an application, Now I'm unsure of what i want to do in the Navy Either on a Ship or Submarine, I'm going to look through the booklets I have been given but I'm looking for some advice from people who have been in the nave past or present to give me some of advice on the various roles they think are appealing.

Any Comments and Advice Greatly Appreciated

Cheers
    Lost_Soul ~ Paul

P.S. Sorry if this is in wrong part of the forums.

2. Put it this way, if you join the Warfare branch you will spend 80% of your naval career painting, decorating and scrubbing out flats.

I was an OM (C) totally loved my job, found it so rewarding and would never have left except i was sick to death of only doing my ACTUAL job 20% of the time.

If id wanted to have been a painter and decorator i would have done this out in civvy street. Hence, another reason as to why i ended up leaving the RN! Shame, cuz im telling you now for a fact i would have definatley have done my full 22 if i did my job as an OM (C) all of the time!

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Lost Soul: Welcome to RR and well done for dipping your toe in first! The Newbies thread would be the best start point, and would probably give you the answers to all your concerns. Advice is purely that; it is not a hard and fast rule on what you should do. If you ask a dozen sailors what's the best job to do in the RN and you'll get a dozen different answers. Make you own mind up and stick with it; don't just accept the first option given by the Careers Office. If you do decide to join up and realise you may have made the wrong choice, there will be opportunities to transfer to another branch, if necessary.

4. First Thanks for your comment CrystalTips, that would be something that would also put me of doing that, that's why I've been looking for advice as to what to do and see what it reflects like to what they tell you in the leaflets.

SgtPepperBand - Yea after i made the post i realised i was going to look for a mod to see if they could move it for me, and thanks for the advice, what i decide will be my own decision however I'm undecided on something's that's why was looking for advice, for e.g. something that would put me off going for submarine area would be, what to do to pass time and what things you do in your role (more detail than what they put in the booklet) etc..

Cheers
    Lost_Soul ~Paul

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

To be perfectly honest Crystaltips' observation that you spend 4 days in five painting & cleaning for 8 hours per day and only about one 8 hour day per week doing the job you joined-up to do, is one person's opinion.

It is true that we do not fly out a squad of free-fall parachute trained painters, decorators & bed-makers out to clean & tidy-up after you, but everyone has to take their turn doing menial tasks, including maintaining hygeine & preserving the very fabric of an extremely expensive ship. When alonside, when finance permits, we do employ civilian painters & cleaners to do just that, but frequently the standard is not as high as we would hope, mainly because those jobs don't pay nearly as well as the Navy.

The more you are prepared to learn the job so as you can be trusted to do a job without supervision, seek advancement & gain promotion, rather than sit back being one of life's victims bemoaning your lot, the sooner you will be promoted & the less onerous tasks befall you. Not only that you can double your wages in a very short space of time.

Alternatively you can blame everyone else for your situation & hope someone believes you.

6. I havent got anything against doing menial tasks such as cleaning up etc, as thats obvious that you have to clean up after yourself with living in such close proximity with other people and having to share the same resources.
    If anything i actually find it therapeutical! Because after all a clean home is a happy home!

However, my problem is that they did not state once in the AFCO about having to maintain the upper deck and paint and decorate 80% OF THE TIME if your in the Warfare branch!
    My point is of the things the AFCO DONT tell you, that is in your job specification.

In addition to this, i rarely moaned about doing crap tasks in the RN, i just got on with it and kept my head down as i certainly thought that this was the way ahead, cuz what was the point in moaning - no one ever listens to you anyway!
    BIG mistake though keeping my mouth shut and buckling down to do a job as boy did they take the p1ss out of me. I.E if someone had to be stiched up to do a gash job or weekenders last minute 2 guesses who got it!
    Suppose i should have learnt to have stood on my own 2 feet and do what the rest of the ships company did, not let people walk all over you and simply refused when you get stiched up! Worked for everyone else!

7. Ninja_Stoker

Er, sorry, what was that :lol: ?

To be fair, your point about the AFCOs may have some validity as it depends who you speak to, s'pose, I can't vouch for everyone.

If you read the actual Careers Publications (downloadable on the RN website), or watch the Branch DVD/video, you will see that reference is made to Ships Husbandry & cleaning tasks. Whether you choose to take any notice at the time is up to the individual.

Are you sure you didn't join an Ancient Greek slave galley as I seriously question that you spent 32 hours per week cleaning & painting for your entire Naval career- unless you were constantly under punishment. If you were always on puns, then surely it's worth having a chat with the Human Rights chaps? :lol:

8. No I can actually say i NEVER did puns in the RN - hence why i always kept my head down and just got on with things.

What i meant by my previous posts is probably me just fuelling my anger at having such a sh1t ship (applogies if ive caused any offence).
    Just basically if i wasnt on watch i WAS painting and decorating. I only ever did WE once, was NEVER allowed in the MCO to go over things say for example spend the afternoon going over certain procedures or things i hadnt quite grasped. They're reponse everytime was NO YOUR NOT ON WATCH GO TO YOUR PART OF SHIP! But even if i was on watch they still wouldnt help me or give me advice.

I hated them for that, as when something did arise and i couldnt competently deal with it, i looked and felt so stupid, even though id raised the issue/s previously on that i need/ed more training on what ever! I spent many a night crying myself to sleep, as i could not see a postive way in order for me to learn something I needed to know as no one was willing or more correctly "Could be bothered" to show me!

As i said before i LOVED my job with all my heart and i would still be in today if it wasnt for the added extra crap that gets slung at you. No job in the world could probably ever match up to what i used to do in job satisfaction, but hey, such is life!

9. Crystaltips, sound like a crap ship and a crap crew or is this the modern Navy?

Some of the best jobs i ever had were the 3 months misemployment that used to happen in my day, i dont remember anyone who didn`t like it, from all branches, all blue card jobs and seven bell leave.

10. sgtpepperband

HTP: No such thing as 'Blue Card' duties any more. Even the Reg Staff keep duties on board... :lol:

11. I had a great 3 months on Eagle as POs messman. Bit pissed off when given it but still enjoyed it.

12. sgtpepperband

Did Ships' Painter three times as an AB (when it was Blue Card) and absolutely loved it!

13. It was a crap ship, crap ships company and as well as suffering from bad sea sickness, id had enough and banged my notice in.

TEAMWORK did not exist at all on this ship!

Put it this way i had to break up many a fist i cuffs in the MCO! At one point i did get rather concerned as half of the comms department werent even speaking to each other - and that was in theatre too!
    Plus it didnt help the fact that the senior rates in the MCO were spineless XXXXs!

14. Look mate, my opinion is go ET (WE) You get a degree at the end, you don't do that much work, and do even less scrubbing out! They don't call us flat back bastards for nothing! WE - For Winners

15. Ninja_Stoker

Sounds like you had a bad time of it mate & are possibly better off out of it.

Not sure whether it was your first ship, but I do remember having what I felt was a blummin' awful first sea draft. Up until then everything was structured, then all of a sudden you had to find it all out yourself as no-one had the time to help.

I always felt I could do no right & felt that everyone was against me. Must confess I hated it at times & wanted to lash out. The problem in theatre is that it has to be done right the first time- if it isn't someone gets seriously hurt or worse- definitely not the ideal training environment. I'm sure the Army are having these problems in Iraq with squaddies going straight from training to front line.

The other snag is that people get tired, having to work flat-out because they do not have the time to train up new members of the department. It's a vicious circle. Not helped by gapped billets of course, despite Topmast manning.

I'm truly sorry you didn't have a good time of it mate, sadly many of us go through the mill. I eventually got the hang of my job, got the confidence of my senior rates & was trusted to do more "hands-on". The pressure was off & I was able to find my niche, then got myself promoted, swearing I'd never let someone working for me suffer as I felt I had.