Joined a gym getting a personal plan, little help please

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by builderbambi, Jan 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right are there good exercises that will really help, I'm keeping off the treadmill, leaving running on proper ground! Putting in circuit sessions aswell, general training tips welcome, many thanks.

2. This link may be of immense help to you.

3. push ups and sit ups are what you'll be 'assessed' on at Raleigh, though concentrating just on those 2 exercises is probably a little daft. Do as much core work as you can, as it's generally good for you anyway, swimming also, if you're not already a competent swimmer get yourself in the pool.

4. Rather then assume, what is your training background (ie have you been a couch potato) and what are you trying to work on (weight loss, running speed, endurance, strength)?

5. Ive got a good phys background just haven't done much in the past year, but hopefully with a date in oct it's time to start again, one thing I know I need to work on is being able to lift my own body weight, (chin ups)

6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Keep off the pies, chips, beer, chocolate and fags. Running etc will become a piece of piss.

7. try this very basic phyz plan, overall strength and CV work out.

monday - 40 min run @ 70-80% effort
    tuesday - plan 1
    wednesday - 40 min step @ 70-80% effort
    thursday - plan 2
    friday - 45 min run @ 65-75% effort
    weekenders - rest

plan 1 reps of 10-20 of 3 sets

Press-ups
    Sit-ups
    Squats
    Tri-dips
    Crunches
    Lunges
    Close-arm press-ups
    ½ Sits
    Burpees
    Overhand pull ups

plan 2 reps of 10-20 of 3 sets

Press-ups
    Dorsal raises
    Star jumps
    Press-ups
    Sit-ups
    Squat jumps
    Tri-dips
    Crunches
    Squat jumps

8. Cheers for the tips I'll make some off this part of my programme, when it comes to climbing ropes iis it mainly technique or is there anything I can do to help because I'm crap at the whole rope climbing lark!!

9. Rather than turning up to a gym and monotonously pounding out some weights or counting down the minutes on a treadmill/crosstrainer etc, join up to some of the sports clubs. I've recently moved back to the parental home whilst waiting for an entry date and I've found that joining the local squash scene was a great way of training as well as meeting proactive people. Before you know it, you've been running around for 45mins and had a great time doing it. I know it sounds a bit gay, but have a go at spinning. It's as hard as you make it as you can adjust the resistance setting, all you have to do is man up and get going, again just like squash, its a great way to train and the time will fly by.

For the weights training side of things, I found this to be quite useful

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Its a kind of no nonsense way of weights training, none of this stupid pyramid bollocks that some roided up poofters swear by. This program develops real useful strength rather than impressively fluffed up but relatively weak muscles. I was a GB U23 athlete and when I stopped doing that, I lacked the structure that proper coaching provided so it was good to find something effective to follow. I ran this 5x5 program by my old coaches and they approved of it. It's a consistent plan and when you reach your current max, its a great way of monitoring progress. It covers all the main muscle groups and I'm sure it will be of use when you have the fitness assessments at Raleigh. Squats are fantastic for overall strength, it builds arm strength, lumbar stabillity, quads, butt muscles etc.. Have a good read of that website, there's a lot of usual weights training dross to sift through but the general principle is sound.

Dieting is pretty common sense really.. Its the general equation that if energy exerted is more than calories of food intake, weight will be lost. Big breakfast then taper off for lunch and dinner. I could ramble on forever about all this kind of stuff. If there are any specific questions you want answering I'd be happy to help in any way I can!

10. Partly technique, partly strength. Without both, you'll struggle. Wait until you have to climb ropes, and you will be taught all you need to know.

11. Cheers for the replies people, going to crack on with it and hopefully be in good shape for basic, now how do you turn on a iron!! Joking there, before I get the flak.

12. Tell it that it looks hot, and you want it to 'flatten your creases'.

13. Way too much foreplay there mate...unless of course it's the recipients birthday. :)

14. Swim, take long walks and mess about at the gym.

15. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Fcuking people? :roll: We don't say 'now hear this' or 'hooora' either. Turn off your Septic Infested television.

16. I get so excited for reading the comments you guys make about dialectal variance, spelling and grammar; especially you Seadog! I'm of to get a cwoffee...

I'm starting to worry, I find myself agreeing more and more with Seadog and I'm not the only one to have made such a comment of late...

17. So the phrase it's all good will rub you up the wrong way I'll chuck in a lol just to really get you going, not on the forum for an English lesson but thanks for your concern I'll be sure to take your comments into zzzzzzzz snore bored!

18. Open to constructive criticism; you'll go far...

Here's some advice on phys - spend less time seeking advice and more time cracking it.

From your posts (see below for example) you seem to understand your current weaknesses and have a reasonable idea of what's required. Less staring into the virtual mirror of the internet looking for answers you already have and seeking reassurance and 'man up'! (little amercanism in there at the end to hsow you I do care about your feelings).

19. Very good point taken.

20. Why don't you ask the Afco for the pre joining fitness booklet. And just repeat that or add more onto it. This is what I did and it prepared me well for Raleigh gives you an idea what's expected of you