Join RMR

Discussion in 'RMR' started by Chicogiz, Jan 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As the title i am thinking of joining RMR for a taste of life and to see if its the job for me, Then when im 18 join full-time. I was thinking this as i went to my AFCO and they said its better you join at a older age than 16 as the passing rate is low. So what training do you have to do to get in the RMR?

Many thanks,
    Chicogiz (Luke)

2. Sorry i know what training they do, i just want to know if i want to go full time do i have to do the training again?

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you complete Commando training in the RMR, you may apply to transfer to the regular RM as a Trained Commando, usually initially on Full Time Reserve Service (FTRS) contract.

BUT, assuming you pass all elements of selection at your AFCO (exactly the same as regular RN/RM, plus RMR Selection- equivalent of PRMC) then you can expect to spend a year or more gaining your green beret.

With the regular RM, you are paid to qualify & that is your sole job, with the RMR you have to keep the fitness tempo sustained over a much longer period & remain focussed throughout. The attrition rate for RMR is in numerical terms higher than those that pass PRMC for the regular RM.

4. Well there's learning to use a rollmat for combat....
    http://politics.guardian.co.uk/homeaffairs/story/0,11026,1652414,00.html

My woodwork teacher at school (back in 1976) was an ex-Marine and also ran the Mapreading and Survival courses for the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme. He showed us how to snare, skin, gut & cook a water vole and a booty delicacy (apparently) of drowning earthworms in a jar of water, then frying them in butter and garlic (which of course are freely available on Dartmoor ;) ). They tasted a bit like escargot: chewy and garlicky.

So you first task is.......

Did you do the D of E, Chico? Can you read a map and do you know how to use a compass correctly?

I'm sure if you offer to finance Blobbs on a six-week yomp in the Aussie outback, he'll oblige with his tales of daring-do.... :biggrin:

Right Blobbs, et al, over to you. :)

PS: Ninja, when are you going to stand for Parliament? You'd make an excellent Chairman of the Defence Committee! :thumright:

5. How many times has this been asked before! Map and compass work. There are many walks groups to join who will gladly show you the rocket science on map reading and compass work.

"The Ramblers" not to be confused with the Amblers lead good walks from six miles to eighteen miles over the valleys and dales and mountain tops .

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/

If you are keen you can qualify to become a walks leader and learn how to tell lies and keep a straight face. " No honest that was the last hill"

The welsh farmers will teach you how to say" Feck off back to England" in a gaelic accent.

Snaring and eating Voles.

The Vole is a protected species.

http://www.derbyshirewildlifetrust.org.uk/index.php?section=watervole:law

Why waste time on a water rat raid the local hen house or the pheasant shoot. Hope you milked all the shite out of those worms before you eat them?

A better meal and more easy to find is the woodlouse Woodlice are crustaceans related to slaters, shrimps, lobsters and crabs, a salty taste but good eating.

http://www.geocities.com/~gregmck/woodlice/recipes.htm

Dandelion

From the old French meaning Lions Tooth the shape of the leaf like a tooth.

Leaf can be used in a salad, root dried as a coffee substitute also used as a vegetable. In moderation of course. Very good for constipation.

Acorns can be roasted and are a good substitute for Almonds also coffee.

Not forgetting the various fungi to be used raw or in a stew.

Not forgetting Rover and Tiddles good eating and a fur hat and gloves!

The list is endless!

Now what was the question.

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I joined the regulars at 16, CTCRM is not a place for the faint hearted.
    You will have to grow up in double quick time, no junior leaders shite for baby bootnecks. Chico dont do it, you wont.

Join at 18, join the cadets or something, if you where plunged into recruit training now you'd fcuk up and it would ruin you for life. Hardley any of the guys I joined up with passed out, I reckon that if most had waited till 18/19/20 years old at least 50% would have made it.