Join as a rate or officer confusion?

Hi, have consumed content here with interest. I wanted to join the Navy when I was younger but University and life tempted me away. Now at the age where joining full-time is not possible but as a reserve very possible.

I had hoped to join as an officer but there seems to be a mix of information that you must do 2 years as a rate first? I've filled out a form online to talk some more but don't want to be taken in/press-ganged by a recruiter!

It seems like there are lots of changes going on in the RN generally but particularly the RNR branch?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
As correctly stated above, those who meet the eligibility criteria can join as a direct entry officer.

Initial training may have common elements but direct entry is a more recent option.

For the record, as a recruiter myself, I think we stopped the press gang malarkey a couple of centuries ago due to retention issues.

in short no you don't need to do 2 years as a rating you can join as a officer
Thanks

For the record, as a recruiter myself, I think we stopped the press gang malarkey a couple of centuries ago due to retention issues.
That's good to know.

This is on the civil service website, it seems slightly inaccurate? I can't put a link into my post because its spam apparently but if you google Civil Service RNR its the top link with the name A Rough Guide to joining the Royal Navy Reserve.

What is the pass-mark for the reasoning/verbal/numeracy/mechanical test and is the online test comparable?

Presumably I can join via this?

royalnavy.mod. uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2017/march/10/170310-royal-naval-reserves-unveil-their-summer-fast-track-officer-scheme

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
This is on the civil service website, it seems slightly inaccurate? I can't put a link into my post because its spam apparently but if you google Civil Service RNR its the top link with the name A Rough Guide to joining the Royal Navy Reserve.
It's dated 27/06/2014 and does not reflect the current direct entry policy, unfortunately.

The online practice test actually comprises questions taken directly from all three versions of the actual test, with changed values. Many will claim the real test is much harder - probably because you're not sat with your dinner on your lap, idly watching Eastenders whilst leisurely supping a can of Tennents Extra on your sofa when doing it for real. For Officer, you should be aimng to answer about 70% of the questions correctly in the first three sections of the four part test.

The detail regarding the fast track scheme hasn't been formally announced for 2018 but I'd be surprised if it wasn't available again over the summer.

Best o'luck.

If you can, get to a unit for a Wed night visit. Your AFCO and their WSC can sort. Get a feel for it.

I spent 6months as a recruit in the JRs mess before side-stepping into being an OC and the wardroom. Great fun, great people and if you plan to go officer it is a good chance to get an (admittedly brief) snapshot of life on the other side of the coin.

Good luck with the application.

If you can, get to a unit for a Wed night visit. Your AFCO and their WSC can sort. Get a feel for it.

I spent 6months as a recruit in the JRs mess before side-stepping into being an OC and the wardroom. Great fun, great people and if you plan to go officer it is a good chance to get an (admittedly brief) snapshot of life on the other side of the coin.

Good luck with the application.
Is there really that much of a difference in the RNR?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doesn't seem to be a great one but I am still a sprog. Could attempt some sweeping generalisations about ways of thinking but honestly there is good competency up and down the hierarchy, there is good (and one or two less-good) people up and down the hierarchy.

I expect it to become more apparent as i go on.

Have heard a couple dits from ex-reg chaps who are now reserve and their opinions but i expect most of non-recruit people on here know the score.

Is there really that much of a difference in the RNR?
I'm not sure where you are pointing that remark......
:rolleyes:

But it is evident that RNR are often some ten years older than our regular counter-part, be that wardroom or otherwise. That (generally) means that there is a greater life experience in the JR mess than might be found in, say, Victory Squadron at Collingwood. Therefore, as Alfred says, that means little difference socially and no difference at all in your first 6/12 months service.

@LeadFeet Don't reject the Lower Deck option as a route to the Wardroom. At the very least you will arrive at AIB with some inside knowledge, as well as a heap of leadership training. I would echo @Anchor Faced in that getting down to your intended unit is always the best starter. Note not all units drill on a Wednesday.

Hmm, if RN do get to keep the LPD's you might have to look at that again!

Happy New year to all my readers.:)

CmdKeen

Lantern Swinger
If you're comfortable wearing one, the general point applies - you can easily make a suit less formal, it's harder to go the other way.

That said for anyone else reading this thread - if you don't have a suit, don't go out and buy one. Wear something you feel comfortable in. We issue uniform after all.

would save all the hassle with the long drawn out joining process, get them in basic training get rid of crud, then stream line to rating or officer. I am sure some lefty human rights bod would drip like a 3 badge parrot but hey there is a country to defend?:rolleyes::D:p

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The irony of all this is we are struggling to recruit in sufficient numbers on a tri-service basis nationally and have virtually stopped recruiting for nearly two months because of a software system that doesn't work, replacing one that did.

You couldn't make it up.

The irony of all this is we are struggling to recruit in sufficient numbers on a tri-service basis nationally and have virtually stopped recruiting for nearly two months because of a software system that doesn't work, replacing one that did.

You couldn't make it up.
anther contract to save money, how many times have the Government gone down new software routs in all areas to pour money into a black hole, in the name of efficiency and money saving? If it is not broke don't fix it, tweak if required but don't reinvent the wheel.

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger

You couldn't make it up.
This actually makes me want to scream and/or cry. I overheard NAVSEC (apols for the name drop) say that there were contractual financial penalties if DRS wasn’t fixed before Xmas. @Ninja_Stoker - is this true d’you know?

This actually makes me want to scream and/or cry. I overheard NAVSEC (apols for the name drop) say that there were contractual financial penalties if DRS wasn’t fixed before Xmas. @Ninja_Stoker - is this true d’you know?
Elsewhere @Ninja_Stoker has suggested that Crapita(for it is they) have tried blaming everyone but themselves for the shortcomings of the fledgling system so any talk of financial penalties is a little premature.

Elsewhere @Ninja_Stoker has suggested that Crapita(for it is they) have tried blaming everyone but themselves for the shortcomings of the fledgling system so any talk of financial penalties is a little premature.
Bit like giving that security company responsibility
For the Olympics, than draft in the troops to bail them out.