Jocks

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by witsend, Feb 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  3. Dunno about the origin of the word jock however

The Scots/English rivalry and name calling has always been that way

usually based on historic events like the number of times in the history of the british isles the English have had to slap the Scots severely for misbehaving .
    The ancient Romans built a nice wall so as you to keep to yourselves and do your own thing------but you nicked all the bricks to built fortified houses.
    There was a time when the Scots invaded England and reached Derby --and they retreated back to Scotland cos they had by then looted too much booty to enable them to fight properly--and they were missing their mums home cooking!!

The previous Scottish parliament --- :thanks: :thanks: The Scots MP's
    sold their rights and buildings to England --for £400 cos they were all skint.

Nice Mr Blair gave it back

One Queen one country ----- most of the name calling is said in fun so stop getting upset when the English Rugby/Football/ etc etc teams give you a hard time
    its only a game :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

:nemo: :nemo:

4. Isn't the Scottish familiar form of John (once the most popular British Christian name) Jock, like the English Jack? I would imagine that in the 19th and early 20th Century, lots of Scots below the Border would probably have been called John in the same way as many Irishmen were called Patrick.

In Edinburgh, Piershill Barracks are situated to the east of Jock's Lodge. Another link with Scotsmen beneath the Colours? Didn't that great Scotsman Harry Lauder sock it to the Music Halls with Stop your tickling Jock?

Any nickname can be seen as derogatory these days but it doesn't mean it is. When my Taff pals call me a Saesneg, I don't get upset any more than I do when Jocks call me a Sassenach. As one who has referred to the Jockanese in the past, let me say clearly and honestly that it doesn't mean that I dislike or scorn Jocks. They're my cousins from over the Border and I would gladly stand by them as family. For the record, I have no Scottish ancestry. Incidentally, when I'm walking through Glagow next week, I will feel safer than I do in Bath these days. The Pot Still; a true national treasure.

5. Contributor MOde

A Google search on "Origins of Jocki". One site says it is a corruption of other names Jacob, John

"Meaning of Jock - What does the name Jock means?
    Pronunciation: jok

Origin: American
    Name Meaning: A familiar form of Jacob, John, and Jonathan. Actor Jock Mahoney
    Origins: View this name in other origins - American, Scottish
    More Info: Variations include Jocko, Joco, and Jocoby."

Another site claimes the origins of the name "Jockstrap" as pictured on this thread is that Jock is slang name for Penis. If this is true then all Jocks are "Dicks". Sounds about right to me.

6. AMERICAN!

Well that's clearly got the joke out of the way.

Actually, there's a thought; Jacob. Is it a permanent reminder of the Jacobite rebellion?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

7. And here I was thinking he was some Jewish Geezer, Jacob. Getting close to the stereotype Jock. A Penis who is tight with the money.

"God! Nutty they keeping feeding you the lines"

8. Are we still allowed to call them PJ's anymore?

9. Wiv' the state of the Scots footer and Rugby teams at the moment

Jock should be JOKE :dwarf: :dwarf: :dwarf: :dwarf:

:nemo: :nemo:

10. You must be using an old map Piershill barracks built in 1793 were demolished in 1934. My mother who lived nearby as a child used to tell of watching the cavalry stationed there riding out in the morning to exercise in Holyrood park

11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

We bought the Scotch in 1707 after their last independent govt made a total hash of their finances. They've cost us a packet over the odds ever since and what have we in return? Blair, Brown, Cock Robin Cook(remember him?), Gorbals Mick, all self-serving filth, it's as if we were used as their political garbage tip . No doubt if the Scotch get independence they will eventually be back with their begging bowl again.

12. Hey if you lot are daft enough to keep giving us the dosh do you blame us?

13. Should be just right for drinking now!

Maxi_77. Sorry, you are quite right. I was trying to make the historical connection but failed to use the correct tense. Ye canna throw ye grammar off a bus.

14. Just bad luck really my mother lived just round the corner, my father was brought up not that far away, and my father and I both went to primary school just across the road, otherwise no one would have seen your grammar fall of the bus.

15. Quite an interesting thread, can we have one labelled Coon or Nigger next? I'd like to see how far it travels.

18. Well mate, if you don't like Jock how do you feel about FRISP?

Just wondering

19. FELLOW OF THE ROYAL INSTITUTE OF SCOTTISH PEOPLE.

Happy with that!!!!