Jock Stirrup

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Stirling, Jun 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has he or any of the recent incumbents in that position stood up and demanded the very best for our troops, no they wait until they retire on a mega pension before gobbing off. :twisted:

2. Hes been given the shove then.

This quote interests me:

There have been accusations that a poorly-equipped British army has been fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan with too few troops.

So Sol's previous article about cutting troops is contadictory. How did these boys get elected? They are doing everything the electorate doesnt want.

3. He may be about to dump the RAF, as recommended by peeps on RR/Arrse. :wink:

4. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Trouble is, would anyone notice? :roll:

5. And Stirrups replacement is apparently a very good chum of Call Me Dave. Ho hum.

Since when did a govt give a damn what their electorate thought?

6. That wouldnt be a bad thing if the FAA and the AAC got an upgrade, but I heard that the JSF's ordered for the FAA were being cancelled, or at least significantly reduced, so you would have effectivley no jet capability at sea.

7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I would. I would have no-one left to mock.

8. Isn't it the RN's 'turn' this time? Lord Boyce until 2003, Sir Mike Walker til 2006, then Sir Jock.

Ergo...

9. If, as is suggested on Arrse, the RN is the service most likely to benefit from the SDSR due to it becoming the main instrument of power projection after Herrick is completed then surely the government would want a sailor to head the services in line with their policies. Just a thought though i've only seen two names put forward so far and they've both been wearing green.

10. But the names have been put forward by "meeja experts" and we all know what their combined knowledge is.

As I understand it the decision on who will replace Sir Jock will not be announced until after the SDR so the media can put as many names in frames as they want - at the moment they haven't got a clue and neither do the majority of the rest of us.

Cameron is to announce some details regarding his draw down plan from Afghanistan today I believe so Green may or may not be this year's preferred colour come Christmas

11. As someone has commented elswhere, the new head shed needs to be in place before the SDSR. Sir Jockstrap can agree to any bone proposals, in the comforting knowledge that he won't have to live with them.

Personally, I wouldn't be too hard on the man. Since the creation of the new, other 4 Star, CDL, I doubt if he has been allowed any true control over it. As most of the criticism is directed at what should be CDL's responsibility, I think that is a salient point. The man who seems to have had the most influence there is yer man Bill Jeffrey, who also now has the skids under him.

yorkieyorke. Taking your point about "doing everything the electorate doesnt want"; I don't think the electorate actually bloody cares. Bear in mind that the electrorate is "informed" by such media as http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...n-prepares-for-challenging-times-1999713.html

In all fairness to Mr Sengupta, though, he is from the Indian sub continent where the Army run most things of consequence.