Jobs boost for the navy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by PartTimePongo, Mar 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Jobs boost for the navy

Jeremy Dunning Business Editor

http://www.portsmouthtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=2139815&SectionID=455

Maybe I'm just being thick , but just how are Royal Navy jobs being boosted here?

2. You are obviously not reading it correctly, any decent journo will be able to explain it to you.

3. Or any decent PR firm?

4. PTP,

This is not really a RN jobs boost, but the effect of the Training Delivery Business Case and the transferring of instructional and training support duties to Flagship Training Ltd (FTL).

Basically, FTL will carry out those functions once carried out by the RN and Civil Service instructors; the Civil Servants will be transferred to FTL whilst the RN staff will go back to sea/waterfront or wherever.

5. Just as well Jack no longer needs these harmony time billets any more. I am sure they would all rather be at sea avoiding the wife and kids.

Good news story in the Navy?

6. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Harmony billets went with the arrival of the Topmast Squads. Sea shore ratio is now managed by the ships.

7. Flagship job interview: " You've got your pension , you don't need any more than £15,000 a year".

Yeah, cheers for that.

8. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
    The goverment ought to encourage Flagship to pay to their employees,
    We would all leave the RN and work for Flagship,
    There would be no one left to train,
    The gov would cease the Flagship contract and save money all round,
    F***ing brilliant.

9. I wish when i left the Navy i'd started Flagship.
    The directors must be worth millions now,a license to print money!!

10. Yet another blank cheque , NHS is just the same blank cheques flying all over the place ,

11. True, eductation and training is all to do woith how much money can be screwed out of the government and train to the lowest level permisable

12. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Precisely. And when you look at the level at which they want these instructor billets, is there any wonder that say, a CPO leaving after 22 with full pension (£12k pa commuted) is only offered £24k pa as a wage by these clowns? The training design and planning jobs are no better. I spoke with one of the Resettlement Staff recnetly and he said exactly the right thing ... the pension goes under the table when negotiating for the wage. You have spent 22+ years earning that and it isn't effectively part of your future job renumeration. Flagship should learn that when the Navy employs instructors, they pay them for their expertise, and they should do the same. The new PFI fun-and-games will see more 'recruitment' by the consortium. Watch the pisspoor offers tabled to lure Jack out of the mob.

Levers

13. In total agreement on this one Levers - working for this lot should be a last resort for any reasonably competent CPO leaving the service. They use the pension and the "do not wish to leave Gosport" as a way of paying below the going rate for instructors.

14. It can also be seen as a supply and demand thing. There are people who like these safe little "money for old rope" jobs which have very little stress and the ability to go home every night like a real person. When I was teaching there were these very people and although they dripped about the fact that they were doing the same job as us and getting paid less they still appreciated the make and mends, easy hours and conditions, the perks (free gym etc.) and the fact that in two years or so we would be back at sea and they would still be in their cushy little niche.
    There is much better pay to be had for an ex WE for example, far in excess of what a CPO would earn but the fact is that after being in the mob for so long, some people just want an easy 9-5 life. Horses for courses.