Jobs after leaving?

#1
Although im not in the marines yet i do one day hope to be, however i was wondering what jobs are available to commando who has just left. I know i may be thinking to far ahead but i dont want to join, love it then if i decided to come have some sh*te job.
any advice appreciated.
HCR
 

chieftiff

War Hero
Moderator
#6
The booties that I know who have gone outside are:

A security guard, a bouncer, a Prison Officer, couple of HGV drivers a chauffeur/ bodyguard/ general dogs body for company director and a paramedic. The World's your oyster :mrgreen:
 
#8
I would worry more about just getting in and passing out. Once in have a few years General Duties(GD), then think about Specialised Qualifications (SQs) or Additional Qualifications (Ad Quals), that could help you get work on the outside. IE Driving courses, Signals (Tele Techs, hard to get but supposed to be good) Vehicle Mechanics(do they still have tham?) basically anything that can be put on a CV.
There is not much scope for civilian employment in some SQs, such as Platoon Weapons Instructor or Drill Instructor, but if that is what toasts your crumpet you will probably want to be a career bootneck so you will get the pension at the end of your service.
First and foremost though, I repeat my first statement get in and pass out. Good luck. :grin:
 

wet_blobby

War Hero
Moderator
#9
H_C_R, alot of your posts are about what to do if you can't hack training or what to do when you leave the Corps. Are you sure you want to join or are you seduced by the image?

Like NZ said mate, concentrate on getting in and passing out, then worry about the afterlife.
 
#10
wet_blobby said:
H_C_R, alot of your posts are about what to do if you can't hack training or what to do when you leave the Corps. Are you sure you want to join or are you seduced by the image?

Like NZ said mate, concentrate on getting in and passing out, then worry about the afterlife.
Believe me mate, i defiantly want to join! But what i dont want to do is to walk in with a big blindfold on!
 
I

In_my_day

Guest
#11
NZ_Bootneck said:
I would worry more about just getting in and passing out. Once in have a few years General Duties(GD), then think about Specialised Qualifications (SQs) or Additional Qualifications (Ad Quals), that could help you get work on the outside. IE Driving courses, Signals (Tele Techs, hard to get but supposed to be good) Vehicle Mechanics(do they still have tham?) basically anything that can be put on a CV.
There is not much scope for civilian employment in some SQs, such as Platoon Weapons Instructor or Drill Instructor, but if that is what toasts your crumpet you will probably want to be a career bootneck so you will get the pension at the end of your service.
First and foremost though, I repeat my first statement get in and pass out. Good luck. :grin:
Sorry NZB but this is a little dated. Many SQs now offer civilian qualifications. For example, as a PW there is the opportunity to become an NVQ assesor (forget the correct title now that D32/33 have gone) a valuable asset in civilian life, if that floats your boat. Not only that but, as many former RM will tell you, it's not what you know but how you sell yourself that will get you your next job. As I told you on another thread, HCR, consider the future, get the info from the AFCO and it will be accurate and up to date.

You need to decide which route you want then as NZB says, get in and pass out.

IMD
 

Greendeath

Lantern Swinger
#12
Honour_Courage_Respect said:
wet_blobby said:
H_C_R, alot of your posts are about what to do if you can't hack training or what to do when you leave the Corps. Are you sure you want to join or are you seduced by the image?

Like NZ said mate, concentrate on getting in and passing out, then worry about the afterlife.
Believe me mate, i defiantly want to join! But what i dont want to do is to walk in with a big blindfold on!
HCR: The guys are right. One step at at time. Firstly join the corps, pass out, and spend a few years in there. When you feel you want to go outside, start planning for it and do as many courses as possible that could be beneficial for you in civvy street.

I'm still in touch with a fair number of oppos whom I served with and they have all kinds of occupations. However, none of us were bothered about civvy street until we actually chose to join it. There's a morel of the story there somewhere mate.

All the very best


Green Death
 
#13
In_my_day said:
NZ_Bootneck said:
I would worry more about just getting in and passing out. Once in have a few years General Duties(GD), then think about Specialised Qualifications (SQs) or Additional Qualifications (Ad Quals), that could help you get work on the outside. IE Driving courses, Signals (Tele Techs, hard to get but supposed to be good) Vehicle Mechanics(do they still have tham?) basically anything that can be put on a CV.
There is not much scope for civilian employment in some SQs, such as Platoon Weapons Instructor or Drill Instructor, but if that is what toasts your crumpet you will probably want to be a career bootneck so you will get the pension at the end of your service.
First and foremost though, I repeat my first statement get in and pass out. Good luck. :grin:
Sorry NZB but this is a little dated. Many SQs now offer civilian qualifications. For example, as a PW there is the opportunity to become an NVQ assesor (forget the correct title now that D32/33 have gone) a valuable asset in civilian life, if that floats your boat. Not only that but, as many former RM will tell you, it's not what you know but how you sell yourself that will get you your next job. As I told you on another thread, HCR, consider the future, get the info from the AFCO and it will be accurate and up to date.

You need to decide which route you want then as NZB says, get in and pass out.

IMD
Thanks IMD, but I'm a little dated too. I can see where you're coming from but far too many of these types of posters regard the actual being accepted for and then passing training as a foregone conclusion.
 
I

In_my_day

Guest
#14
NZ_Bootneck said:
Thanks IMD, but I'm a little dated too. I can see where you're coming from but far too many of these types of posters regard the actual being accepted for and then passing training as a foregone conclusion.
Agreed and this young man (?) doesn't even seem able to decide what it is that he wants to do!

IMD
 
#15
Honour_Courage_Respect said:
wet_blobby said:
H_C_R, alot of your posts are about what to do if you can't hack training or what to do when you leave the Corps. Are you sure you want to join or are you seduced by the image?

Like NZ said mate, concentrate on getting in and passing out, then worry about the afterlife.
Believe me mate, i defiantly want to join! But what i dont want to do is to walk in with a big blindfold on!
What you do after life in the mob will depend on you far more than any particular skill or trade you learn, if you really want to do it then do it and do it now, otherwise you will never forgive yourself and probably never get anywhere anyway.
 
#17
Your ability to undress without fear in front of lots of hairy arsed bootnecks will serve you well in the future 'sweety'. :roll:
 
#19
Try Head Porter in block of Luxury flats, get free flat no bills to pay all free, 5 day week. I am a Head Porter in Knightsbridge have 10 staff, 2 bed flat all found only pay for food, £27.000 a year plus tips normally drink. If you want more details call me would help you get a job no problem.

Will only take ex service.

billy
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top