Jobless must learn to speak English

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by slim, Feb 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They should count themselves lucky that the state is paying for them to learn the language. I hope they take full advantage of the opportunity.
  2. I personally think that immigrants should be taught how to read, write and speak English from the moment they successfully enter this country. It's not just the job centres that are throwing money away on Linguists, but hospitals and police stations too.

Although I think that far too many immigrants are coming into Great Britain, I also think that they can provide an adequate contribution into UK society, if only they could just talk English!
  3. Agree totally and whilst we're at it why don't we teach some of our lower echelons of life who are remanded at HM pleasure. However, this might interfere with their human rights!
  4. This is Current Affairs, please people (when posting, if CA), if you feel that your post will get axed from CA, then do not post in the Qtr Deck. Purely due to the fact that I will move the topic to CA, as that is the correct forum
  5. It is for their own good anyway, I won't let my missus come to the UK unless she learns to speak English, wouldn't want her to run into snags and not be able to communicate with doctors etc. Plus it's only polite to speak the lingo of the country you are in, anything else is ignorant and or lazy.
  6. So it came to pass that Mustapha Shite was fined for none payment of tv license at Rochdale Courtroom. Name has been changed not to protect the guilty just cannot spell real one.

So Mustapha Shite failed to make fine payments and was taken back again and this time was told you make payments or we send you prison where you not pay for tv license just watch it for free.

So Grandson nine times removed arrives with fines payments at courthouse payment dept. He was asked where is Grandpa part of condition is he makes payments.

His interpreter cannot make it today so he not come this place.

Grandson nine times removed is asked can you not speaka da English voice for him.

This is true told by the person who actually works there and dealt with the knob.

What I ask is me no speaka da English then why watch tv????
  7. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

This is in my opinion a necessary step. There are thousands of College's all over the country holding ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) courses as well as, or as part of basic and key skills courses. The sad fact is that these courses are very under subscribed despite the fact they are free! the college claims the money back from the LEA who in turn claim it back from central Government. For government depts' to then fork out millions of pounds to pay for linguists (often with very disputable quals) is beyond a joke and a complete waste of money.
  8. Some of the shell suited chav born to british families that infest the job centres need to learn to speak decent english without swearing or grunting every other word
  9. If they cant read,write or speak the language to a basic level they shouldnt even be allowed to apply to enter UK!

p.s. Well i spose the gaelic speakers will kick up a bit! :grin: :grin:
  10. Well said Andy.

We have the same trouble down under, in OZ. There are a lot of immigrants who have been here for donkeys years, and they have no intention of learning to speak "The Queens English" but then the only ones who speak the proper "Queens English" is: "us yins frae abin the border" Aye us laddies wae the bare knees. Ye ken whit a meen stokes. lol. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We really do have a hang off a problem with all the dialects from all the different countries and different nationalities and ethnic groups !! especially the "Brummies, Cockneys and Scousers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Send them all up on a "Fisheries Protection ship" in a "force ten, or, twelve" then tell them to go on the fo'xle to tighten a cable stopper or sumut, and they would soon speak B****y good "English" i can tell you mate. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

regards pingbosun :lol: :roll:
  11. What, you mean German? :razz: :wink:

Seriously though, the individual's accent is not an issue (I'm from the Northeast after all), but it would be nice if I could communicate with someone.

Not long ago, I had to call a company in London and the lady who answered the 'phone could hardly speak English - I think she was Oriental or something like that. A receptionist who could not speak English . . . ?

And no, it wasn't a call centre on the other side of the world, since I know that the call was to their London HQ - one of the other staff had to take my call eventually.
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, and every ex-pat who lives abroad (in or outside the EU) speaks the native tongue of the country he lives in? I doubt it... :neutral:
  13. There is a difference in living off your own resources and therefore not having to work to support oneself in a country abroad and living off state benefits in a country you have not contributed to.
    While I agree that ex pats should make an effort to learn the language of their new adopted country would this benefit them in their little bits of UK on sol?
    If you wish to work & live in a foreign country then learning the language is a must.
  14. May I say that if you are British and wish to phone HMRC, Then you use and O845 number and pay by the minute

If you are non speaky the English
    Then HMRC phone YOU back on your mobile pay for the call and pay for the interpretor, most of these foreign people who do not speak English speak very good English to the interpretor

I am on the other end of the phone and all the mobile phones we call out to are on the same 0781 group of numbers
    Do they get a free mobile phone on arrival

Why should everyone else pay to call HMRC at what ever rate! landline or mobile
    Yet HMRC pay for calls to premium numbers plus the cost of the interpretor?