Jobless must learn to speak English

They should count themselves lucky that the state is paying for them to learn the language. I hope they take full advantage of the opportunity.

Six_and_a_Half

Lantern Swinger
I personally think that immigrants should be taught how to read, write and speak English from the moment they successfully enter this country. It's not just the job centres that are throwing money away on Linguists, but hospitals and police stations too.

Although I think that far too many immigrants are coming into Great Britain, I also think that they can provide an adequate contribution into UK society, if only they could just talk English!

Darkershadeofblu

Lantern Swinger
Agree totally and whilst we're at it why don't we teach some of our lower echelons of life who are remanded at HM pleasure. However, this might interfere with their human rights!

D

Deleted 7

This is Current Affairs, please people (when posting, if CA), if you feel that your post will get axed from CA, then do not post in the Qtr Deck. Purely due to the fact that I will move the topic to CA, as that is the correct forum

Peter said:
I personally think that immigrants should be taught how to read, write and speak English from the moment they successfully enter this country. It's not just the job centres that are throwing money away on Linguists, but hospitals and police stations too.

Although I think that far too many immigrants are coming into Great Britain, I also think that they can provide an adequate contribution into UK society, if only they could just talk English!
It is for their own good anyway, I won't let my missus come to the UK unless she learns to speak English, wouldn't want her to run into snags and not be able to communicate with doctors etc. Plus it's only polite to speak the lingo of the country you are in, anything else is ignorant and or lazy.

So it came to pass that Mustapha Shite was fined for none payment of tv license at Rochdale Courtroom. Name has been changed not to protect the guilty just cannot spell real one.

So Mustapha Shite failed to make fine payments and was taken back again and this time was told you make payments or we send you prison where you not pay for tv license just watch it for free.

So Grandson nine times removed arrives with fines payments at courthouse payment dept. He was asked where is Grandpa part of condition is he makes payments.

His interpreter cannot make it today so he not come this place.

Grandson nine times removed is asked can you not speaka da English voice for him.

WHY SURE IF YOU PAY ME

This is true told by the person who actually works there and dealt with the knob.

What I ask is me no speaka da English then why watch tv????

chieftiff

War Hero
This is in my opinion a necessary step. There are thousands of College's all over the country holding ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) courses as well as, or as part of basic and key skills courses. The sad fact is that these courses are very under subscribed despite the fact they are free! the college claims the money back from the LEA who in turn claim it back from central Government. For government depts' to then fork out millions of pounds to pay for linguists (often with very disputable quals) is beyond a joke and a complete waste of money.

BusterQuin

War Hero
Some of the shell suited chav born to british families that infest the job centres need to learn to speak decent english without swearing or grunting every other word

andym

War Hero
Peter said:
I personally think that immigrants should be taught how to read, write and speak English from the moment they successfully enter this country.
If they cant read,write or speak the language to a basic level they shouldnt even be allowed to apply to enter UK!

p.s. Well i spose the gaelic speakers will kick up a bit! :grin: :grin:

pingbosun

Lantern Swinger
andym said:
Peter said:
I personally think that immigrants should be taught how to read, write and speak English from the moment they successfully enter this country.
If they cant read,write or speak the language to a basic level they shouldnt even be allowed to apply to enter UK!

p.s. Well i spose the gaelic speakers will kick up a bit! :grin: :grin:
Well said Andy.

We have the same trouble down under, in OZ. There are a lot of immigrants who have been here for donkeys years, and they have no intention of learning to speak "The Queens English" but then the only ones who speak the proper "Queens English" is: "us yins frae abin the border" Aye us laddies wae the bare knees. Ye ken whit a meen stokes. lol. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We really do have a hang off a problem with all the dialects from all the different countries and different nationalities and ethnic groups !! especially the "Brummies, Cockneys and Scousers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Send them all up on a "Fisheries Protection ship" in a "force ten, or, twelve" then tell them to go on the fo'xle to tighten a cable stopper or sumut, and they would soon speak B****y good "English" i can tell you mate. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

regards pingbosun :lol: :roll:

pingbosun said:
"The Queens English"
What, you mean German? :razz: :wink:

Seriously though, the individual's accent is not an issue (I'm from the Northeast after all), but it would be nice if I could communicate with someone.

Not long ago, I had to call a company in London and the lady who answered the 'phone could hardly speak English - I think she was Oriental or something like that. A receptionist who could not speak English . . . ?

And no, it wasn't a call centre on the other side of the world, since I know that the call was to their London HQ - one of the other staff had to take my call eventually.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Hmm, and every ex-pat who lives abroad (in or outside the EU) speaks the native tongue of the country he lives in? I doubt it... :neutral:

slim

War Hero
sgtpepperband said:
Hmm, and every ex-pat who lives abroad (in or outside the EU) speaks the native tongue of the country he lives in? I doubt it... :neutral:
There is a difference in living off your own resources and therefore not having to work to support oneself in a country abroad and living off state benefits in a country you have not contributed to.
While I agree that ex pats should make an effort to learn the language of their new adopted country would this benefit them in their little bits of UK on sol?
If you wish to work & live in a foreign country then learning the language is a must.

May I say that if you are British and wish to phone HMRC, Then you use and O845 number and pay by the minute

If you are non speaky the English
Then HMRC phone YOU back on your mobile pay for the call and pay for the interpretor, most of these foreign people who do not speak English speak very good English to the interpretor

I am on the other end of the phone and all the mobile phones we call out to are on the same 0781 group of numbers
Do they get a free mobile phone on arrival

Why should everyone else pay to call HMRC at what ever rate! landline or mobile
Yet HMRC pay for calls to premium numbers plus the cost of the interpretor?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
slim Jobless couple with 12 children are given a £500,000 home Diamond Lil's 7
S Homeless Jobless and Wifeless Current Affairs 65
slim Brothel offers discounts for jobless men Diamond Lil's 4
MoD_RSS Cleverly ends visit to Lebanon: Economic reforms a must MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: Humanity must unite in the fight against disease MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Yemen’s leaders must act now to prevent coronavirus catastrophe MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bosnia and Herzegovina must stay committed to progress MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The process of seeking a political solution in Syria must not cease MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Governments of Sudan and South Sudan must act constructively MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Positive progress in the Great Lakes Region must continue despite Covid-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Violence and suffering in Yemen must stop if peace is to thrive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS We must protect Children in Armed Conflict: "Children have been robbed of their childhood and forced to participate in brutal wars" MoD News 0
MoD_RSS West Midlands Trains must invest £20 million after poor performance and delays MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Leaders must commit to challenging hateful extremism warns Government’s extremism advisor MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cleaning chemicals firm must sell acquired business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Syria's Constitutional Committee's launch and work must be accompanied by concrete actions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Healthcare for everyone must prioritise women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights, says UK at UN General Assembly MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary: UK must step up its role as a good global citizen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister says government must rediscover its ‘revolutionary spirit’ and up the pace on digital transformation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS We must work together to end FGM for good MoD News 0
MoD_RSS We must shine a light on disproportionality MoD News 0
MoD_RSS No-deal is a very real prospect. We must ensure we are ready: article by Michael Gove MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMO: we must work together to make our world safer and healthier MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Competition rules must continue to evolve with emergence of digital platforms MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Competition rules must continue to evolve with emergence of digital platforms MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government tells public sector it must pay suppliers on time MoD News 0
MoD_RSS City must lead the way in securing a greener future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ‘Education must continue internationalist approach’, Gibb at G7 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Charity SORP must change to meet “new public expectations”, review panel says MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM: post-18 education must work better for everyone MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Minister warns construction industry they must be ready for new rules on paying suppliers on time MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Accessibility must be at the heart of new transport tech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: We must create a more caring and inclusive culture for NHS staff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: We must drive tech innovation and improvement across the NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: 'Rogue' private landlords must stop exploiting students MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: We must tackle the serious ethical challenges of DNA analysis MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK Boards of biggest firms must do more to be cyber aware MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: We must bring an end to the diagnostic odyssey of rare diseases MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Health minister: NHS must lead the world in genomic healthcare MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Penny Mordaunt: the Rohingya crisis must not be forgotten MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Matt Hancock: email must replace paper in the NHS MoD News 0
slim Brexit re article 50 it must not be suspended/stopped under any circumstances Please sign the petition Current Affairs 486
MoD_RSS Press release: Lord Ahmad and Carey Mulligan: “International community must work together to ensure that children in conflict zones have a real chance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: North Korea must abandon its nuclear weapons: statement by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
soleil Liverpool Echo: "New Military Ships 'Must Be Built At Yards Like Cammell Laird After Brexit'" RFA 1
MoD_RSS Speech: We must stand up for an effective non-proliferation regime MoD News 0
G How long must a new recruit commit? Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS News story: NATO must improve agility and spend, Defence Secretary urges MoD News 0
mitch in the north I FEEL I MUST CONFESS TO BEING A REGULAR AT DIAMOND LILS BACK IN ABOUT 1985!! Diamond Lil's 15
MrIndeed I was sent a email stating that i must be a 'sole British citizen' to join as a Submariner. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35