Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jiu jitsu, gym, food

zombie

Midshipman
This may sound random but does anybody on here jius jitsu or other martial arts? how does the 4 months on 3 months rotation affect trainimg, qill i have to give up my jiu jitsu due to not having continued training.

And its metioned there are gyms on board are theh free to use as and when I am free?

lastly what is the selection of food like, nutrition is a big thing for me I eat paleo ie no wheats or grains and as organic as possible.

Now before make the obvious comments yes I accept im going to have to make a change if I want a career in the RFA, just thought id see if others have similar sacrifices they make and how they find it.

thanks

zombie

Midshipman
Im not planning on making soecial requests. Just trying to get and Idea of the food options and limits. like do we get set portions and limited variety.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Just trying to get and Idea of the food options and limits. like do we get set portions and limited variety.
Of course. You're on a ship, at sea. I very much doubt if you'll get grass fed beef and organic vegetables.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
As you can see, you don't get very much money to feed the average sailor:

DMR SUPPLEMENTS AND IN-FLIGHT SCALES FOR 01 OCTOBER - 31 DECEMBER 2016

(All rates published in UK £ Sterling, unless specified otherwise)

JSP Reference

HM Ships, Submarines and RFA DMR

£2.83

Volume 2 0308 (e)

First Patrol Boat Squadron DMR

£5.15

UK CILOR Rate

Random

Lantern Swinger
Im not planning on making soecial requests. Just trying to get and Idea of the food options and limits. like do we get set portions and limited variety.

A quick summary of food/drink availability on RFAs, all below is provided on less than £3 per day per person from the the various messes (Crew, POs & Officers)

Breakfast:
Assortment of Cereals, Limited Cooked Breakfast, Bread for toast, jam, marmalade & if lucky peanut butter. Orange juice and milk (usually UHT).

Lunch:
Soup, a hot main, a salad counter (contents very changeable), bread, desert (often cookies or something that can be carried out)

Dinner:
Soup, a starter/alt main, hot main, salad counter, desert

Evening:
Cold Cuts, Salad, Bread

All day
Bread jam, marmalade etc, tea, coffee, squash.

If anyone has a genuine food allergy it will be catered for, if you are vegetarian then the galley will prepare vegetarian dishes for you.

The main issues onboard the ship when it comes to food is the sometimes surprising menu choices for the week (roasts and stew whilst out in 50 degrees of gulf summer) or the sometimes poor standard of ingredients used (see the above budget limitations, not all foreign ports can provide high quality food at low prices).

As for portion control, generally no, but if you are taking the piss you will be informed, similarly if the food is limited (e.g. if its steaks) then someone will tell you.

Whilst on most ships there are fridges where you can store your own stuff (but they are small), you wont have access to any cooking facility more complicated than a hot water boiler and a microwave.

Last edited:

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
(see the above budget limitations, not all foreign ports can provide high quality food at low prices).
Not an issue. In fact it's the opposite. Food bought from foreign ports is re-valued to UK prices. So you could be getting top quality food and paying bargain basement prices. EG. You buy Aberdeen Angus beef and pay for bog-standard Brazilian beef, or buying fillet and getting the trader to invoice you for mince :)

Random

Lantern Swinger
Not an issue. In fact it's the opposite. Food bought from foreign ports is re-valued to UK prices. So you could be getting top quality food and paying bargain basement prices. EG. You buy Aberdeen Angus beef and pay for bog-standard Brazilian beef, or buying fillet and getting the trader to invoice you for mince :)

Shouldnt be an issue you mean! .. however I still have memories of some very interesting stuff out in the gulf .. the sausages especially :D On the other hand the steaks when floating around the USA were spectacular. The point I was making was the money is fixed, the quality of what turns up depends really on where you are in the world.

Sumo

War Hero
There will be a Government approved ship's chandler that the ship has to buy from.
that goes back to the days of the catering branch overhaul, when one complained he did not get his fair share of the pie, reggies had a field day.

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
And as far practicing the jius jitsu aka "line dancing with attitude", you can always take a beat box onto the flight deck, play a bit of achey, breaky, heart at full pelt and I'm sure you'll be quickly joined by some green death!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS DIO completes state-of-the-art gym for Royal Navy MoD News 0
T Gym work Health & Fitness 4
Walter_white PRNC soon never been to the gym. Joining the Royal Navy 37
R How often do you go to the gym? Health & Fitness 1
DoyleMCR Gym/running buddy - Manchester Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
M How is the gym on Fort Austin? RFA 3
M RNAS Prestwick Gym Bases / Shore Est 13
D Gym at Phase 2 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S Push-ups, sit-ups, sprints and burpees... welcome to the Royal Marines' gym Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
2_deck_dash Kitting out a man gym. Health & Fitness 34
Rachelthree Gym plans Health & Fitness 40
soleil Mens Health: "The Crew Of HMS Turbulent Stay Fit In The World’s Smallest Gym" Submariners 4
daffy1 The Gym Health & Fitness 1
B Joined a gym getting a personal plan, little help please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
Rolotp Reached my goal in the gym! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 83
T Can someone tell me if my gym routine is ok? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
O Culdrose - Am I able to use gym facilities Bases / Shore Est 16
Barrack_Room_Lawyer RM PTI Gym question The Corps 5
D Gym Stuff Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
C Gym facilities Health & Fitness 4
W FUNNY: A week at the Gym - One Mans story....... Diamond Lil's 3
The_Caretaker A Week At The Gym.... Diamond Lil's 9
D Reserve Forces National Fitness/Gym discount scheme Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
D Gym Discounts for Serving Members Sports and Adventure Training 0