Jimmy Carr

Matt_89 said:
Seems Jimmy Carr's put his foot in it again. Wondering what your opinions are on it? personally I thought it was quite a good joke and don't feel there was any particular intention to upset those involved, although it probably was intended to be shocking as are many of his jokes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/theatreblog/2009/oct/26/jimmy-carr-joke-apology

Matt
Never watch him so i dont know .But if the joke has upset someone in his audiances .He should said joke from his act simplel's innit :) :D

RadioSilence

Lantern Swinger
It's a tad tasteless, but true. I don't overly like him, but making jokes like that are really what all comedians do! It's not worth all this media outrage anyway, IMHO.

Ageing_Gracefully said:
This has been well discussed on Arrse and the majority feel that while JC is a bit of a cnut the joke is no worse than many in the NAAFI forum.

Jimmy Carr - Arrse verdict
Concur.

I read through that thread yesterday on ARRSE, and agree with the majority view that while JC is not the funniest comedian around, the joke itself is no worse, and in fact a lot milder than, many of those we come out with ourselves. Matelots, just like squaddies, have a rough and ready sense of humour. Quite often the sicker the joke the better. If we are able to dish it out we should be able to accept it when it comes winging its way in our direction.

JG, that's the reaction I thought I would receove on here considering some of the jokes thrown about in lil's.
Les from what I gather I don't think anyone in his audience was offended (They would have been well aware of what to expect) but everyone else who has jumped on the bandwagon.

Matt_89 said:
JG, that's the reaction I thought I would receove on here considering some of the jokes thrown about in lil's.
Les from what I gather I don't think anyone in his audience was offended (They would have been well aware of what to expect) but everyone else who has jumped on the bandwagon.
I can say i do not know i dont watch him (not my style).So fair enough but someone picked up on it and didnt like (no smoke without fire ).But if the joke does offend then drop it .It is simple as that .Then he wont get any flak :D

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Jimmy_Green said:
Concur.

I read through that thread yesterday on ARRSE, and agree with the majority view that while JC is not the funniest comedian around, the joke itself is no worse, and in fact a lot milder than, many of those we come out with ourselves. Matelots, just like squaddies, have a rough and ready sense of humour. Quite often the sicker the joke the better. If we are able to dish it out we should be able to accept it when it comes winging its way in our direction.
Agree absolutely. I think people were just up in arms because the joke came from Mr Not Funny himself. I can't stand Jimmy Fecking Carr and think he is as funny as being fisted by Geoff Capes but we've all made much worse comments about mongs etc. I'm actually surprised that it was on Sky News. I can't remember this much fuss when i sent Steven Hawking football boots for Christmas last year.

theGimpMK2

Lantern Swinger
:lol: bearing in mind that carr is the king of sick jokes its not for anyone to outrage by proxy for any forces guys negative limbs. The fact that carr visits selly oak and headly on the quiet should tell you summit about the chap

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
theGimpMK2 said:
:lol: bearing in mind that carr is the king of sick jokes its not for anyone to outrage by proxy for any forces guys negative limbs. The fact that carr visits selly oak and headly on the quiet should tell you summit about the chap
Fair play to him for that but it doesn't alter the fact that the only cock bigger than him belongs to a Blue Whale.

Perhaps more people should do their homework. Apparently, Carr said, "Say what you like about these servicemen amputees from Iraq and Afghanistan, but we are going to have a f****** good Paralympic team in 2012." In light of the articles below, what's the problem? Should we also castigate those who wrote them for mentioning injured troops and the Paralympics in the same breath?

Mirror News link

Mirror News 29 Sep 09 said:
Paralympic dreams of war heroes

A group of injured servicemen are hoping to represent Britain at the 2012 Paralympics. The six heroes are among 70 disabled athletes who will try to impress talent scouts at trials today. They include RAF Senior Aircraftsman Mike Goody, 24, who lost a leg in Afghanistan. He hopes to land a swimming place. Marine Arthur "Bungy" Williams, 22, paralysed from the waist down, will try to make the grade in wheelchair racing. The group will take part in a day-long series of trials at Brunel University in Uxbridge, West London. They have been coached by the MoD's Battle Back sports scheme which aims to help rehabilitate injured servicemen and women.
Daily Telegraph link

Daily Telegraph 6 May 07 said:
Battle for London 2012 gold

When Sergeant Mick Brennan was caught in a suicide bombing in Iraq, the outlook was bleak. Hurled 25 ft by the force of the explosion, the former keen runner and boxer lost both legs and suffered an injury to his brain. He struggled to control his anger and faced a long rehabilitation. Now, however, Sgt Brennan is fighting to represent his country again - at the 2012 London Paralympic Games. The 27-year-old, is one of 42 amputee soldiers who last month received letters offering them a chance to compete for a place in the Paralympic squad... He is a beneficiary of an initiative led by Major Andy Neaves, the second-in-command at Headley Court, in a joint venture with the British Paralympic Association (BPA). A BPA "taster day" last October uncovered several potential Paralympic athletes. Major Neaves has contacted all the amputees on his database, including those who have returned to their units, and plans to expand the programme to soldiers suffering from spinal injuries...

The presence of military personnel in Britain's 2012 Paralympic team will mean that disability sport has come full circle. The Paralympics originated as an athletics competition for Second World War veterans with spinal cord injures. It was first staged at Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, to coincide with the 1948 London Olympic Games.

More recently, the United States and Canada have led the way in encouraging injured servicemen to take up Paralympic sport. By 2012, it is estimated that 10 per cent of the 500-strong American team will come from the military. Dame Tanni Grey Thompson, Britain's most successful disabled athlete and the patron of the BPA, believes that the British armed forces could play a similarly important role in 2012. If you've been through the military you know about training hard, you know about listening to instruction and you understand what it takes to achieve," she said. "Those are really important core principles that you have to have if you want to be a Paralympian or an Olympian"...
I'm no admirer of Carr but he probably heard this 'joke' from an injured serviceman in the first place (link):

Sky News 26 Oct 09 said:
Carr, who has visited injured troops at Selly Oak and Headley Court, has apologised for any offence caused. "I've got nothing but respect for the young men and women who put their lives on the line for this country," he told Sky News online. "I've visited the military hospital in Selly Oak, Birmingham, and the rehabilitation centre in Headley Court on many occasions to meet seriously injured young men. I will continue to support them in any way I can. My thoughts are with the servicemen and their families, especially on Remembrance Sunday. I'm sorry if anyone was offended but that's the kind of comedy I do. If a silly joke draws attention to the plight of these servicemen then so much the better but that was not my intention. My intention was only to make people laugh. I've got nothing but admiration for the inspirational athletes who take part in the paralympics. I've told this joke around the country to all types of people including ex-servicemen who all laugh."
Do these sound like the words and actions of someone intent on mocking injured service personnel? I wonder how many of Carr's detractors have bothered visiting patients at Selly Oak or Headley Court. This is exactly the sort of dark humour appreciated by seriously injured squaddies and I have heard them use it, and invite it, themselves. I doubt many of them have the same problem with Carr's 'joke' as the growing number of people apparently all too eager to be offended by proxy (e.g. local authorities banning symbols of Christmas in case they offend non-Christians).

Carr's 'humour' is meant to make you cringe.....that's his act....like it or loath it

More is being made of this than the outrage of 'PC' or the subversive words of the rabble rousers presently residing, and past, enjoying freedom to offend us as a nation.....the 'Fifth Column'

nanny state and state press deciding for us wether we should be offended
not me jack
a joke is exactly that A JOKE
also i will be watching the paralympics and shouting for all of em from war medals to gold medals i hope they all achieve what they want in life
Britain is proud.

anglichanin

Lantern Swinger
Worthy of note that all the wailing an gnashing of teeth comes only from the good ole PC brigade with a smattering of v. high ranking military types thrown in to add legitimacy to their feigned outrage :roll: :roll: :roll:

Naval_Gazer said:
Mirror News 29 Sep 09 said:
Paralympic dreams of war heroes

A group of injured servicemen are hoping to represent Britain at the 2012 Paralympics. The six heroes are among 70 disabled athletes who will try to impress talent scouts at trials today. They include RAF Senior Aircraftsman Mike Goody, 24, who lost a leg in Afghanistan. He hopes to land a swimming place. Marine Arthur "Bungy" Williams, 22, paralysed from the waist down, will try to make the grade in wheelchair racing. The group will take part in a day-long series of trials at Brunel University in Uxbridge, West London. They have been coached by the MoD's Battle Back sports scheme which aims to help rehabilitate injured servicemen and women.
I've met young Arthur through his old man Vaughan, who I've known for quite a few years. Last year I posted a link to Vaughan's website linky and linky which highlighted his sponsored walk to raise money for the spinal injuries unit that treated Arthur.

Jimmy Carr, although not to everyone's taste, tells jokes professionally while we are but gifted amatuers. If it had been Frankie Boyle that had cracked the joke it may well have been considered funnier as he appears to be the 'in' commedian. His humour is certainly very near the knuckle.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
finknottle Current Affairs 38
A The Gash Barge 5
E Nearest & Dearest 5