Jimmy Carr

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Matt_89, Oct 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Never watch him so i dont know .But if the joke has upset someone in his audiances .He should said joke from his act simplel's innit :) :D

2. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

This has been well discussed on Arrse and the majority feel that while JC is a bit of a cnut the joke is no worse than many in the NAAFI forum.

Jimmy Carr - Arrse verdict

3. It's a tad tasteless, but true. I don't overly like him, but making jokes like that are really what all comedians do! It's not worth all this media outrage anyway, IMHO.

4. Concur.

I read through that thread yesterday on ARRSE, and agree with the majority view that while JC is not the funniest comedian around, the joke itself is no worse, and in fact a lot milder than, many of those we come out with ourselves. Matelots, just like squaddies, have a rough and ready sense of humour. Quite often the sicker the joke the better. If we are able to dish it out we should be able to accept it when it comes winging its way in our direction.

5. JG, that's the reaction I thought I would receove on here considering some of the jokes thrown about in lil's.
    Les from what I gather I don't think anyone in his audience was offended (They would have been well aware of what to expect) but everyone else who has jumped on the bandwagon.

6. I can say i do not know i dont watch him (not my style).So fair enough but someone picked up on it and didnt like (no smoke without fire ).But if the joke does offend then drop it .It is simple as that .Then he wont get any flak :D

7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Agree absolutely. I think people were just up in arms because the joke came from Mr Not Funny himself. I can't stand Jimmy Fecking Carr and think he is as funny as being fisted by Geoff Capes but we've all made much worse comments about mongs etc. I'm actually surprised that it was on Sky News. I can't remember this much fuss when i sent Steven Hawking football boots for Christmas last year.

8. I made a fuss.

The twat got seven games for Plymouth Argyle.

9. Blackrat

But his dribbling has yet to be equalled.

10. Touché Perce.

11. He's the best dribbler since Joey Deacon.

12. :lol: bearing in mind that carr is the king of sick jokes its not for anyone to outrage by proxy for any forces guys negative limbs. The fact that carr visits selly oak and headly on the quiet should tell you summit about the chap

13. Blackrat

Fair play to him for that but it doesn't alter the fact that the only cock bigger than him belongs to a Blue Whale.

14. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Carr probably heard the quip from an injured squaddie at headley court in the first place.

15. Perhaps more people should do their homework. Apparently, Carr said, "Say what you like about these servicemen amputees from Iraq and Afghanistan, but we are going to have a f****** good Paralympic team in 2012." In light of the articles below, what's the problem? Should we also castigate those who wrote them for mentioning injured troops and the Paralympics in the same breath?

Mirror News link

Daily Telegraph link

I'm no admirer of Carr but he probably heard this 'joke' from an injured serviceman in the first place (link):

Do these sound like the words and actions of someone intent on mocking injured service personnel? I wonder how many of Carr's detractors have bothered visiting patients at Selly Oak or Headley Court. This is exactly the sort of dark humour appreciated by seriously injured squaddies and I have heard them use it, and invite it, themselves. I doubt many of them have the same problem with Carr's 'joke' as the growing number of people apparently all too eager to be offended by proxy (e.g. local authorities banning symbols of Christmas in case they offend non-Christians).

16. Carr's 'humour' is meant to make you cringe.....that's his act....like it or loath it

More is being made of this than the outrage of 'PC' or the subversive words of the rabble rousers presently residing, and past, enjoying freedom to offend us as a nation.....the 'Fifth Column'

17. nanny state and state press deciding for us wether we should be offended
    not me jack
    a joke is exactly that A JOKE
    also i will be watching the paralympics and shouting for all of em from war medals to gold medals i hope they all achieve what they want in life
    Britain is proud.

18. Worthy of note that all the wailing an gnashing of teeth comes only from the good ole PC brigade with a smattering of v. high ranking military types thrown in to add legitimacy to their feigned outrage :roll: :roll: :roll:

19. I've met young Arthur through his old man Vaughan, who I've known for quite a few years. Last year I posted a link to Vaughan's website linky and linky which highlighted his sponsored walk to raise money for the spinal injuries unit that treated Arthur.

Jimmy Carr, although not to everyone's taste, tells jokes professionally while we are but gifted amatuers. If it had been Frankie Boyle that had cracked the joke it may well have been considered funnier as he appears to be the 'in' commedian. His humour is certainly very near the knuckle.