Jet fuel in the FAA

Waspie

War Hero
The amount of information freely given in this forum is impressive. I wish that I could buy all of you chaps a dram (or a pint) of your favorite beverage.
Even Tom Clancy had his sources!!!:D:D Of course if any of this were classified you'd get nothing other than - name, rank and number!!!

Waspie

War Hero
The Roofrats/Badgers carried brass wheelspanners , no spark if dropped.......wheelspanners plural , a right and left handed to cope with the fuel valves recessed into flight deck.
TBH, I know little of the badgers other than a rough idea of what they did. I was rotary all my time so had no FW experiences on board at all. I will bow to your knowledge of the badgers and roofrats although I knew them as chockheads!!!

Chris P

War Hero
The most dangerous fuel carried was used to start some aircraft.
Anyone else remember Avpin?
A monofuel which produced its own oxygen.
Carried outboard so in an emergency it could be jettisoned
Yeah, everything stopped when it was being transferred to the flight deck..

TBH, I know little of the badgers other than a rough idea of what they did. I was rotary all my time so had no FW experiences on board at all. I will bow to your knowledge of the badgers and roofrats although I knew them as chockheads!!!

We had a Badgers on board that assisted both RW and FW, they were not there just for the Harriers ( the Harrier Guys thought they were, I was RW first and therefore a Harrier re-tread).

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
MTC - depending on how 'authentic' your book will be, maybe this will help. All in current use and understood by everyone!

1590486192580.png
As in:
'My new car is the Dog's Bollocks'
'That film was bollocks'
'You took that blonde bird out? Utter bollocks'!
'I got a right bollocking from the Chief this morning'
'So the husband opened the spare room door and there I was, stark bollock naked'!
'Do you know what? Paint it again? Bollocks to it' (or bollocks to him - the order giver!)

MTC29

"I got a right bollocking from the Chief this morning."

That is pure gold. It has been added to my list of must use phrases.

The story begins during the Vietnam War and ends following the Gulf War, and focuses on two American naval aviators. The FAA will get a few pages in the story during the period when the USN and the RN were operating the F-4 Phantom II. I know from research that 892 Naval Air Squadron was aboard USS Independence in March 1975, which fits my timeline quite nicely.

The breadth of knowledge in this forum is impressive. As a guest, I appreciate your hospitality.