Jet fuel in the FAA

MTC29

I am an aspiring writer of aviation fiction and I would like to know what jet fuel is called (slang) in the FAA. In the American military, virtually every motor fuel is called "gas," but I don't picture the pilot of a Buccaneer (the story is set 30 years ago) approaching a tanker and asking to take on petrol. Small details in phraseology can make a huge difference in how a story is received. Thank you in advance for any and all assistance.

Waspie

War Hero
Hi there.
In piston engined aircraft, the civilian term was CivGas. We, (FAA) called in AvGas, (Aviation Gasoline)
Gas turbines engined aircraft. We, (FAA) called it Avtur. Or F34 to give it its NATO code. Aviation turbine fuel or Jet A1 in civilian airfields
Gas turbines aircraft could also use Avcat or NATO code F44. Has a higher flash point so was primarily used on aircraft carriers
All info available on the net so not classified.
Hope this helps.
Most Mil aircraft would arrange fuel in advance especially at civilian air bases. We used to call it PPR. (Prior Permission Required). Routine mil base to mil base would still require advance warning so that refuel crews could be ready to accept visiting aircraft.

MTC29

Thank you gentlemen.
Hi there.
In piston engined aircraft, the civilian term was CivGas. We, (FAA) called in AvGas, (Aviation Gasoline)
Gas turbines engined aircraft. We, (FAA) called it Avtur. Or F34 to give it its NATO code. Aviation turbine fuel or Jet A1 in civilian airfields
Gas turbines aircraft could also use Avcat or NATO code F44. Has a higher flash point so was primarily used on aircraft carriers
All info available on the net so not classified.
Hope this helps.
Most Mil aircraft would arrange fuel in advance especially at civilian air bases. We used to call it PPR. (Prior Permission Required). Routine mil base to mil base would still require advance warning so that refuel crews could be ready to accept visiting aircraft.
Thank you, sir. This is exactly the information I was hoping to gain through this thread. I reside in Florida and happened to be in Jacksonville Beach 18 months ago when British sailors flocked into beachside bars and restaurants after the aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth docked at a United States naval station. They were wonderful chaps and despite the six arrests, I hope the carrier returns on a regular basis

Waspie

War Hero
Thank you gentlemen.

Thank you, sir. This is exactly the information I was hoping to gain through this thread. I reside in Florida and happened to be in Jacksonville Beach 18 months ago when British sailors flocked into beachside bars and restaurants after the aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth docked at a United States naval station. They were wonderful chaps and despite the six arrests, I hope the carrier returns on a regular basis
My pleasure and good luck with the book. The internet is a magnificent tool when researching or getting info from friends and colleagues.
I'm busy proof reading my own at the moment. (Purely for family - not for publication to the world).

Used to be AvCat (F44) on board and AvTur ashore (F34). The grubbers had to do some engine adjustments prior to going on the ship, and we ran AvCat for a few flights prior to embarking.

MTC29

I'm grateful for the fast replies to my question.

When the USS John F Kennedy (CV-67) was decommissioned in 2007, Naval Station Mayport in Jacksonville Florida lost its last aircraft carrier. The HMS Queen Elizabeth and her crew are always welcome in Mayport, and in the State of Florida.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I'm grateful for the fast replies to my question.

When the USS John F Kennedy (CV-67) was decommissioned in 2007, Naval Station Mayport in Jacksonville Florida lost its last aircraft carrier. The HMS Queen Elizabeth and her crew are always welcome in Mayport, and in the State of Florida.
If you 're using British warships in any publications don't put "the" in front of HMS, it's something the British press do all the time and it's wrong.

MTC29

If you 're using British warships in any publications don't put "the" in front of HMS, it's something the British press do all the time and it's wrong.
Thank you for telling me that. I will make the necessary corrections in the text.

I've already gained knowledge beyond my original question. My thanks to all who have taken time to reply.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
However..... if you are using the ship's name, then, yes!

So - NO to the HMS Massive,

But YES to the Massive.

Pretty straightforward really...... ;)

And as you're a Colonial - subs are sandwiches, boats are submarines.
Pronounced sub mariner and NOT sub mareener.
And it's aloominium NOT aloominum - just saying! ;)

Waspie

War Hero
AvCat.

Ships no longer carry AvGas (or AvTur).
What about AvTur 30 years ago? When was AvTur fazed out or stopped from being used.
Only reason I say this as I believe the OP's book is written about the past!
I was only small ships at the end of my time, late 80's when Frigates only carried AvCAt for the Wasp and Lynx.
Did the Invincible and the like only carry AvCat??
Genuine question by the way.

MTC29

Americans have a penchant for the word "the". Nevertheless, "He came aboard the Her Majesties Ship Ark Royal..."
That would be atrocious grammar, even for an American.

I want to compliment this forum on the helpful nature of its membership. I am not an aviator, nor have I ever served in the military. I am a civil engineer by profession (I believe chartered is the term used in the UK). I retired last year and felt the need to write a novel. The only way to learn is to ask, and questions appear welcome here.

Waspie

War Hero
Americans have a penchant for the word "the". Nevertheless, "He came aboard the Her Majesties Ship Ark Royal..."
That would be atrocious grammar, even for an American.

I want to compliment this forum on the helpful nature of its membership. I am not an aviator, nor have I ever served in the military. I am a civil engineer by profession (I believe chartered is the term used in the UK). I retired last year and felt the need to write a novel. The only way to learn is to ask, and questions appear to be welcome here.
Our, UK, press use it all the time!! Awful, makes us cringe!!

slim

War Hero
The most dangerous fuel carried was used to start some aircraft.
Anyone else remember Avpin?
A monofuel which produced its own oxygen.
Carried outboard so in an emergency it could be jettisoned

Waspie

War Hero
The most dangerous fuel carried was used to start some aircraft.
Anyone else remember Avpin?
A monofuel which produced its own oxygen.
Carried outboard so in an emergency it could be jettisoned
I'll never forget it.
From personal experience. My eyes got splashed with the stuff whilst draining the Avpin tank on a Wx Mk1. Blinded for nearly a week. 100% loss of sight for three whole days. Scary.
A contractor, during the rebuild of RNAS Portland was told NOT to use the empty Avpin drums for marking out the construction zone. Did he listen? No! So, he decided, rather than carry the empty can he wasn't to use! He kicked it along to the area he wanted to mark out. BOOOOOOM, the can exploded, (well the fumes inside did). He lost his leg just below the knee!!!
Really dodgy stuff was Avpin.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Guardian: "Man Accidentally Ejects Himself From Fighter Jet During Surprise Flight" The Fleet Air Arm 4
soleil YT: "End of the Stig? - Super Jaguar Vs Harrier Jet - Top Gear" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil EDP: "Top Gear Hosts Second Car-Versus-Fighter-Jet Challenge" The Fleet Air Arm 12
soleil Mail: "Real-Life 'Rocket Man' Wearing A Jet Pack Launches From ... HMS Queen Elizabeth" The Fleet 8
MoD_RSS HMS Queen Elizabeth sails to US for fighter jet trials MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second Lightning fighter jet squadron arrives in UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Future of JET secured with new European contract MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New fast jet training takes off MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK to double F-35 fleet with 17-jet order, Defence Secretary announces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British-armed F-35B Lightning jet takes to the skies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: HMS Queen Elizabeth sets off for F-35B fighter jet trials MoD News 0
BFRS Do you have fast jet or large rotary wing experience? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MoD_RSS News story: New stealth fighter jet 'takes off' MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary in Doha as multi-billion pound jet contract with Qatar is signed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: F-35 jet and new batch of UK pilots cleared for Carrier take-off, Defence... MoD News 2
J Pilot: How are you streamed into fast jet or rotary when going through training? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Good CO Sunday Times - RAF 'to double Fast Jet squadrons' in SDSR, Army to do badly... Current Affairs 27
MoD_RSS News story: F35B jet begins first ski-jump launch and weapons testing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Major investment to boost UK fast jet home in East of England MoD News 1
Ships_Cat Pilot lands faulty fighter jet on a stool at sea The Fleet Air Arm 20
soleil "F-35 Lightning II Jet To Make Maiden British Flight" The Fleet Air Arm 7
soleil Mail: "BehinD The Scenes With The British Pilots Learning To Fly F-35 Fighter Jet" The Fleet Air Arm 5
soleil Mail: "One For Hovering Buyers: Harrier Jump Jet For Sale" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Telegraph: "UK Orders Near For F-35 'Stealth’ Jet" The Fleet Air Arm 46
scouse Jet engine explodes Current Affairs 6
P Easy Jet - London bound - photo query The Gash Barge 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF airlift Britain's first jet fighter to new home MoD News 0
soleil Pompey News: "Simulator Puts Pilots Into The Flying Seat For Fighter Jet Training" The Fleet Air Arm 0
T BBC News - F-35 fighter jet fleet grounded by Pentagon Current Affairs 31
MoD_RSS News story: Double first for French and British fast jet pilots MoD News 0
soleil Telegraph: "Inside The F-35, The World's Most Futuristic Fighter Jet" The Fleet Air Arm 2
Olly013 I want to be a jet pilot! Helicopter pilot vs jet pilot. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
F Jet stream heading towards Scotland Current Affairs 14
BillyNoMates You don't have to look like Jet Li to be a Ninja-a-a-aaaa Diamond Lil's 4
S US Navy F-18 Jet Crash Current Affairs 2
soleil BBC News: "How To Land An F-35 Jet Fighter At Sea The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Pompey News: "Royal Navy’s New Fighter Jet Flown By British Pilot For First Time" The Fleet Air Arm 2
soleil Mail: "RAF And Royal Navy Pilots In The Cockpit On Your British Airways Holiday Jet" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Scotsman: "Minister 'Misspoke Over Fast-jet Pledge For New Carriers'" The Fleet 0
scouse Jet Provost Overhead The Fleet Air Arm 4
soleil T'grph: "Forces Prepare For Axe To Fall On Fighter Jet Fleet In Drastic Cuts Package" Current Affairs 14
T What CAS really thinks of Fast Jet aircrew The Gash Barge 7
soleil Register: "USN Says Electric Jet-Flinger Tech Looking Good" The Fleet Air Arm 5
soleil Pompey News: "Speculation Mounting Over Carrier Fighter Jet" The Fleet Air Arm 4
soleil BBC: "Joint Strike Fighter: Jet That's A 'Spy In The Sky'" The Fleet Air Arm 9
soleil T'graph: "Harrier Jump Jet Is Hung From Tate Britain's Roof" The Fleet Air Arm 10
soleil Pompey News: "Harriers jet in to Ark Royal" The Fleet Air Arm 1
Merlin28 The New Jet Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
soleil Guardian: "MoD to slash Jet Fighter orders" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Telegraph: Jobs at risk as MoD drops jump jet fighter engine The Fleet Air Arm 29