Jerseys Seamen

slim

War Hero
profile_mask2.png

What is a clothes stop?
A. A clothes stop is a small diameter cord about 12 inches long with metal ends to keep the cord from fraying. This short cord was used to tie laundry to a clothes line or other convenient object for drying. Every recruit was issued a length of clothes stops in boot camp instead of clothes pins. They ceased to be issued in 1973.

The yanks were issuing them until 1973. Theirs weren't tarred but did have ferules on the ends to stop fraying. Such sophistication.
I don't think we have many Yanks on here so Boot Camp which is an American expression did not exist for the rest of us. We all either joined as boy entrants and went to HMS Vincent or HMS Ganges for training, or for non officers went to HMS Raleigh (other training establishments were available) HMS Raleigh conducted Part 1 Training for ALL branches and Part 2 Training for some Branches. I joined Raleigh in 1963 and never had a kit list that looked like the crap you have posted

Throughout
the Royal Navy washing is known as 'dhobeying' a corruption of
Hindustani, as in Dhobi-walla or washerman. This dates from the
days of the Naval Brigade in India during the mutiny of 1857.
These boy seamen at Ganges are doing their dhobeying in the old
fashioned way on the laundry floor (or deck) with 'pusser's
hard'
days of the Naval Brigade in India during the mutiny of 1857.
These boy seamen at Ganges are doing their dhobeying in the old
fashioned way on the laundry floor (or deck) with 'pusser's
hard'
I don't think we have many Yanks on here so Boot Camp which is an American expression did not exist for the rest of us. We all either joined as boy entrants and went to HMS Vincent or HMS Ganges for training, or for non officers went to HMS Raleigh (other training establishments were available) HMS Raleigh conducted Part 1 Training for ALL branches and Part 2 Training for some Branches. I joined Raleigh in 1963 and never had a kit list that looked like the crap you have posted
Had you joined 15 years previously you would have come across it. .I'm quite aware of how things were. When you joined Raleigh in 1963 I had left ,enjoying Colonial Service luxury at your expense in Bermuda. The US analogy referred to clothes stops. They were still issuing them to recruits in 1972. Whilst ours were tarred marine flax twine theirs resembled shoe laces. What surprised me is that I was lead to believe that Yankee ships -compared to ours- had washing machines with ice cream and coffee around every corner. Apocryphal clap trap as I was to discover. I did sadly discover that their ships were dry.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
It would help if you posted the picture!

We did our dhobying on the deck in the washroom at Ganges in 1973, the only change was we didn't use pussers hard.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
The US analogy referred to clothes stops. They were still issuing them to recruits in 1972. Whilst ours were tarred marine flax twine theirs resembled shoe laces.

What surprised me is that I was lead to believe that Yankee ships -compared to ours- had washing machines with ice cream and coffee around every corner. Apocryphal clap trap as I was to discover. I did sadly discover that their ships were dry.
No they didn't! No issue of anything resembling shoe laces for this c/s.

Yes they did! I was lucky enough to visit a few USN war canoes in the 70s and was always impressed by the ice cream machines. The coffee was freely available, but was not the best in the world. EVERYONE knew that US ships were dry.

Are you sure you served in the RN?

Perry

Lantern Swinger
Right, I demand my issue of string! I joined up in 70 and never got any!
I never got my bits of string either and I joined in ’68 but I am rather chuffed I got it right just fancy clothes pegs.

Perhaps I shall just join in with the guys telling dits in the photo rather than those in their duck trousers doing the dhobeying.

I don't believe everything in Jackspeak ;)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
The washrooms were the same in 1973.
I never got my bits of string either and I joined in ’68 but I am rather chuffed I got it right just fancy clothes pegs.

Perhaps I shall just join in with the guys telling dits in the photo rather than those in their duck trousers doing the dhobeying.

I don't believe everything in Jackspeak ;)
Rick Jolly (author of said book) was my eldest Daughter-in-Laws Uncle. I asked him once where he got it all from as after over 30 years in the mob there were some I'd never heard of before. He just said "oh, here and there" , I asked if he made any up and he just grinned and changed the subject. Make of that what you will :)

Latest Threads