Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeremy Clarkson

drewfester

Lantern Swinger
Like him or not, is it just me who thinks that all this racist comment stuff is getting out of hand?
The comments were never broadcast but were obviously leaked by someone in the film crew!
Surely the BBC should be more worried about who's leaking to the press FFS!
Calling for him to be sacked for something that was never broadcast seems a bit rich to me. If they do, I can see Top Gear moving swiftly to Sky. Clarkson does own the brand after all.

taffscrivs

War Hero
It is getting stupid in the media industry, there seems to be a witch hunt on every other week, some of it justified some of it not. It wasn't so long ago that Carole Thatcher was sacked for making alleged racist remarks, that useless git Adrian Chiles apparentley dobbed her in. Something that's said off screen is just that, it's not public. I'm not defending Clarkson, personally I think he's a complete twat and has turned a once respected motoring programme into a jolly for himself and his two dopey mates, but everybody comes out with the odd risque remark now and again and most escape a public uproar.

mikh

MIA
he sold his shares in Bedder 6 to the BBC in 2013, so afraid he no longer has any ownership of the brand, so they could sack him and keep the show, this imho would end up costing the BBC a substantial amount, as there would be nothing stopping Clarkson going to another TV channel and starting another Car show, and I dare say May and the Hamster would follow him, and without those 3 there is no Top Gear, and this would lead to a massive fall in international sales (TG and Dr Who are the BBC Worldwide biggest earners, if I remember correctly, TG earned the BBC something like £40 Million Net a year or so ago)

Clarkson is hated by Guardian readers, tree huggers, bleeding heart liberals and the so called political correct, so it is only a matter of time before the BBC do get shot of him. If not for the Government pushing them to cut costs and not allowing them to up the licence fee as much as they wanted they would probably have already sacked him.

I personally enjoy the show, and hope if carries on for many years

taffscrivs

War Hero
I prefer his books to watching him perform like an overgrown schoolboy on the telly. Mind you he's come out with some outrageous comments in print and managed to get away with it so far.

G

guestm

Clarkson is hated by Guardian readers, tree huggers, bleeding heart liberals and the so called political correct,

Not true, I quite like him. Richard Hammond on the other hand.....

finknottle

Banned
In the words of Father Jack, "how does that gobshite get on the television".

[video=youtube;9R89oERKCaU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R89oERKCaU[/video]

Last edited:
There seems to be a whole raft of people who's aim in life is to be offended. Not only do they strive to be personally offended, they have the arrogance to be offended on behalf of others, whether those "others" would be or not. I listened to the allegedly offensive well known children's choosing rhyme and he never actually said the Code word for dam breached.

Are we now at the stage where something traditionally had something "offensive" in it, therefore any reference to it has become "offensive" because people still remember what the so called offensive bit was?

mikh

MIA
Not true, I quite like him. Richard Hammond on the other hand.....

Guardian readers, tree huggers, bleeding heart liberals and the so called political correct in general hate Clarkson

There you go MLP, that better :)

There again, the guardian readers, tree huggers, bleeding heart liberals and PC brigade do not have a very high regards for those who wear uniform, so Clarkson is in very good company.

AS for Hammond, he is like a little terrier, eager to please, all right in small doses but gets tiring after a while. Thank god my terrier is not so little, at 4 months old he is bigger than a Border Collie

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Never been a fan of Top Gear, to be honest, although I do accept that he is clearly a brilliantly talented print journalist (when such a job was considered an honourable trade), especially when writing and presenting his wartime documentaries. But his "Angry Middle England Bloke" was clearly a character, and I could distinguish one side of his personality from the other (much like Al Murray/Alf Garnett). However in more recent times I think he forgets which is which, and he appears to have become the sort of person he once ridiculed.

I have far too much going on in my life to be offended by him in particular, but I can understand how what he says upsets others; just because I/you/we find it acceptable or funny does not necessarily mean that everyone has to conform to the general consensus. The warning from the BBC was a long time coming; I'm just surprised that someone as intelligent as Clarkson didn't see that the tone of what is acceptable had changed. He was intentionally (mischievously) offensive to provoke a reaction.

I don't think he is openly racist - if he was, he wouldn't have mumbled the word. But an experienced broadcaster such as he would've known that there was a probable likelihood that a recording would escape from the edit into the public arena. I am not calling for his sacking as soon critics have done, but just that he exercise a little common sense. He got caught out, deserved a bollocking and certainly got one from his Bosses (whose primary responsibility is to the viewing/funding public). Hopefully that'll be the end of the matter before this is blown out of proportion by the media.

mikh

MIA
SPB, a well fathomed and intelligent view, but the BBC were quite happy to air an interview with Anjem Choudry to get his views on the Lee Rigby murder, they believed it was their duty to report that other points of view existed. If that is the case they can hardly censure Clarkson/Thatcher for a comment that was not meant to be publically aired.

The BBC, the channel of double standards and hypocrisy!

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
...There again, the guardian readers, tree huggers, bleeding heart liberals and PC brigade do not have a very high regards for those who wear uniform, so Clarkson is in very good company...

Well here's a paradox...

The Guardian: "Bill Ash obituary"

Bill Ash was born in Texas, became a Canadian citizen in order to fly Spitfires in the Second World War, was shot down over France and escaped from POW camps so many times he became an inspiration for Steve McQueen's character in "The Great Escape". After the war, he founded a left wing political party and lived to be 96. What a life! :salut:

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Anjem Choudary is a well-known provocative activist with controversial and inflammatory views who will use any medium to promote his point of view. Clarkson, on the other hand, is an employee (member of staff or subcontracted, irrelevant either way) who has to adhere to the BBC's codes of professional standards as part of his contract. Nothing to do with double standards or hypocrisy.

onions

GCM
So SPB,on your premise of the BBC's "professional standards", shouldn't they be rooting out the person who "leaked" this piece of film. Let's face it, it wasn't transmitted et al, it was STOLEN and given to those fine upstanding upholders of British standards, THE PRESS.

mikh

MIA
But they decided to interview him to get his views on the Lee Rigby Murder across, can you imagine them doing the same if it had been a far right group who had murdered a Muslim.

Yes Clarkson is required to adhere to the standards laid out in his contract, equally those who choose to allow a know radical to air their view on a BBC show should show the common sense to realise that choudry's views represent a very small % of the Muslim population rather than allow him air time and make people think he has a larger following than he actually does. Far too often the BBC allows this kind of thing to happen, and in a way it gives the radicals and lunatics of this world an air of acceptability and offers them the chance of increasing their adherents. This is hardly in keeping with the charter of the BBC. Unless of course they are prepared to give the likes of Anti Islam Alliance (No I am not condoning anything of the sort).

IMHO, the only way to curb the radicals is to starve them of publicity

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Onions: And you're assuming the BBC are not investigating the matter as we speak? It may not be publicly disclosed at the moment, but that doesn't mean action isn't or won't be taken. Jumping to conclusions - no matter HOW MANY BIG LETTERS you use - is rather pointless, isn't it?

But surely Mr Clarkson himself exploited the press for his own means by discussing the matter in his column in Friday's edition of The Sun? Perhaps you can voice your own concern on the standards of media integrity to the BBC themselves, using the appropriate links on their site where their own statement on the matter is available:

BBC - Complaints - Statement regarding Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited:
G

guestm

Clarkson makes a living out of treading a very thin line and saying things that make people go "oooh, naughty" that's his appeal. It is glaringly obvious that it's his schtick, not his personality. In person he comes across as a very intelligent, thoughtful man. I'm sure anyone who has met him feels the same.

He doesn't offend me, if he offends anyone then they're a bit silly. It's like saying Voldemort should be taken off telly because he's nasty to school kids. I wish everyone would stop being so precious.

It's not real for **** sake.

Besides, if the BBC sack Clarkson they'll be shooting themselves in the foot, he'll be snapped up immediately because like him or not, Clarkson = ratings. Plus he hates Piers Morgan, which is more than enough for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
But they decided to interview him to get his views on the Lee Rigby Murder across, can you imagine them doing the same if it had been a far right group who had murdered a Muslim.

Yes Clarkson is required to adhere to the standards laid out in his contract, equally those who choose to allow a know radical to air their view on a BBC show should show the common sense to realise that choudry's views represent a very small % of the Muslim population rather than allow him air time and make people think he has a larger following than he actually does. Far too often the BBC allows this kind of thing to happen, and in a way it gives the radicals and lunatics of this world an air of acceptability and offers them the chance of increasing their adherents. This is hardly in keeping with the charter of the BBC. Unless of course they are prepared to give the likes of Anti Islam Alliance (No I am not condoning anything of the sort).

IMHO, the only way to curb the radicals is to starve them of publicity

In order to promote freedom of speech, the BBC allowed Nick Griffin (remember him?) to appear on Question Time. No stitch up required; he managed to ridicule himself in front of the viewing/attending public when questions were put to him. His own party turned their back on him as a result of the damage his performance did to their cause.

Agree or disagree with their views, but a public arena can do just as much bad, as good. The public are more astute than many give them credit for. Keeping radicals in the public eye means we can maintain a vigilant eye on them and monitor their influence; keep them underground and they will grow and mutate, unwatched and uncontrolled until they rear their ugly head and bite us on the arse, figuratively speaking.

Last edited:

finknottle

Banned
MLP I am sorry but someone had to tell you, Voldemort is a fantasy character played by an actor.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Pompey News: "Jeremy Clarkson Filming Arctic Convoys Documentary" The Fleet 7
B THE THOUGHTS OF JEREMY CLARKSON Diamond Lil's 3
A Jeremy Clarkson The Sun 9 Dec 06 Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS Letters from the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster to Jeremy Miles MS and Michael Russell MSP MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter from Jeremy Wright to Sharon White MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Jeremy Wright's Oral Statement on the Telecoms Supply Chain Review MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright speaking at the AI Summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Secretary of State Jeremy Wright speaking at CogX during London Tech Week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Jeremy Hunt appoints roving Human Rights Ambassador to champion human rights across the globe MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Jeremy Hunt calls for global focus on patient safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright's keynote speech at Viva Tech conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright speaking at the launch of the TechNation Report 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright speech at the Inclusive Economy Partnership Champions Board Meeting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright speaking at the Professional Publishers Association Festival MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Hunt's opening remarks at press conference with Mike Pompeo MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Jeremy Hunt: Effects of climate change are fuelling conflict, UK to drive forward the global response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Jeremy Hunt: Time for the world to see African nations as partners for investment and trade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt: UK wants to be partner of choice across Africa MoD News 0
fishhead Jeremy Corbyn at N.I. Funeral Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS Speech: Notre Dame was a tragedy, but in too many parts of the world it's the Christian congregation that perishes: article by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Jeremy Hunt celebrates Passover at Westminster Synagogue MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright speaking at the launch of the Online Harms White Paper MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Jeremy Hunt and Amal Clooney agree joint legal plan to defend media freedom MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Britain has been shaping the world for centuries. That won’t change with Brexit: article by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright's speech at the Enders Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Jeremy Wright and Margot James to meet with US tech giants to discuss a safer internet MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Jeremy Hunt to chair Yemen Quad meeting on next steps in peace process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright's statement on the Cairncross Review MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright's Value of Culture Speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Japanese Prime Minister’s visit is a chance to celebrate our friendship with like-minded nations: article by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright - Paley Center for Media speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt statement on the Matthew Hedges case in UAE MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright's speech at the Parliament and Internet Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Knight Grand Cross conferred on Sir Jeremy Heywood MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright - Society of Editors speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM Theresa May and Sir Mark Sedwill's statement on Jeremy Heywood MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Britain champions free speech, so we’re leading the war on fake news: article by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Jeremy Hunt launches reverse mentoring scheme for BAME staff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Statement on Sir Jeremy Heywood MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: North Korea must abandon its nuclear weapons: statement by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Ron Jeremy fighting for his life The Gash Barge 14
soleil Telegraph: Vice Admiral Sir Jeremy Blackham On The UK's Military Decline Current Affairs 6
Joint_Force_Harrier Jeremy Kyle - Millitary Driving School (Tuesday) Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 5
Montigny_La_Palisse Welcome back Ron Jeremy Diamond Lil's 20
Montigny_La_Palisse NSFW! Especially for Ron Jeremy Diamond Lil's 0
R12_CV Jeremy Paxman interview The Fleet 6
slim GUEST BLOG: JEREMY KYLE Diamond Lil's 0
MoD_RSS Iain Clarkson to join National Nuclear Laboratory Board MoD News 0
MG Maniac Clarkson and the Patagonian Trip Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1
taffscrivs Clarkson Current Affairs 10