JC's in donkeys flipflop?

Discussion in 'Travel & The Great Outdoors' started by M4tty5, Jun 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me whats in the JC's drink in the donkeys flipflop in gibraltar?

2. Any internet search for 'John Collins' will show you the ingredients.
    Unless of course they used some secret ingredient.
  3. Gin. Lemon juice. OJ. Angastura bitters.
  4. Here you go.

Tom Collins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, I'm sure that the Gib recipe has some peculiarities native only to Gib. The use of Angostura Bitters for instance, and if my memory serves me right, no cherry!
  5. Anyone remember the JC's in the Brit Club, Singers. The barmen had them lined up in jugs on the bar. On a blank week I reckon there was enough gin spilt on the bar to get you pissed if you soaked it up with a towell. Then the old guy outside would flog you an egg banjo brfore catching the flyer back to the village.
  6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I didn't think it had OJ in, I thought it was basically a gin and bitter lemon with Angostura bitters added? I have Charlie (Hole in the Wall) as a Facebook friend. If anyone would know, he would, I'll send him a pm.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Gawd, memories, eh. Ask him if he's still alive?

That always used to wind him up a treat.
  8. tiddlyoggy

He's alive and still opens the bar occasionally; always on the rare occasions that a pusser's war canoe comes alongside.
  9. That sounds more like it, it was the same colour as bitter lemon so that would make sense. Isn't a 'Tom' Collins the orange juice version?

So next question: Why? Where did the tradition come from? Anyone know how a random boozer in Gib came to be one of the world's premier establishments for getting an obscure cocktail?
  10. That recipe sounds about right, maybe with some lemonade added?
    I drank many, many, many JCs in other establishments but I only ever drank CSB in the Donkey's Flip-flop.

I wonder if if it's still available there... :eek:ccasion5:
  11. Best JC's were those in the roof top bar in the Norfolk Hotel in Nairobi, went down like silk.
  12. Boys book of bar recipes shows TC & JC the same thing however JC - gin. lemon juice, bitters and soda (or lemonade if you're a gay banana) ... cherry and a slice of orange. Was several bars down in Irish Town that did a good one too!

Mind other Gib specialities ... jugs of sangria in the Piazza Bar??? Used to keep a crate of San Mig in the bottom of the fridge in the MQ ... was about £3 from the Naffi
  13. tiddlyoggy

Ballistic-if you're referring to CSB, rather than JC's, I don't think it's made at all any more. It's certainly not been availablke to pusser for some time now.
  14. From my time there most bars used to make their own mix which was poured onto the gin and the soda then added. Base mixes were made from but not limited to lemon squash, lime juice and angostura bitters.
  15. Yeah, CSB.

I remember Courage phasing it out (late 80s/early 90s?) and then re-introducing it but they must have lost the recipe 'cos the new stuff was never as good as the old version.
    If it's gone for good that's probably no bad thing.
  16. tiddlyoggy

We stilll had CSB in the Chief's mess on Brave when we decommished in 99. I've not had a ship with it since.
  17. Was on a jolly to Rotterdam and the bar over the road from our hotel had CSB on tap, I vaguely remember the rest of the jolly! JC's were always my drink of choice in Gib though, I reckon it's something they put in the water.
  18. Can remember coming across a bar in New Hampshire that sold Courage "Amber" so stopped for a pint ... t'was CSB rebadged for the Yanks!
  19. AAF

AAF Badgeman

Best JC's I ever had was junior rates bar in HMS St Angelo, steep climb to the bar so well thirsty.
  20. Would that be the Helix bar in St Angelo by any chance AAF.