James Bond - RNR DIS Branch

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Jim30, Nov 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. That's recruiting sorted Then. Somebody has to run with this one. Too good a chance to pass up. (Doesn't mention though that the cousre at Cambridge was cancelled twice before he got on it though and the reason he left to go to Mi6 was that they ballsed up his pay.)

2. yay! always knew he was one of us!!!!!! :D :D :D
    this does need to be played upon big time........
    if it's played right bonanza time for the rnr.....bet it won't be tho :evil:

3. Bond has always been a reservist. His obituary in The Times in You Only Live Twice, refers to him as Commander James Bond CMG RNVR.
    Ian Fleming was an RNVR officer, despite having started off life as an army officer. He was given a special RNVR commission when he was appointed to work in NID.

4. SBS and SBS(R) might use Bond for recruitment as well...though come to think oof it, those units probably get enough Bond-wannabes applying already.
    Anybody know if "Special Forces Unit 030" actually exists, or is it as real as 49 Para(ARRSE joke).

5. Oh our lot are trying to capitalise on the Bond theme alright.

They are planning to recruit at the premier at the local cinema.

Spanks of desperation to me!

I'll give most things a go if it'll get people through the door, but this is ridiculous.

6. Curfew at BRNC? Was back at midnight for juniors and by breakfast for seniors. But then again Nick Hunt was a great Captain. Got a bit stricter under Lee Harvey Oswold then went all pathetic again after that for a bit. Supose the new Bond was there then.

(Having said that there was a Mid Bond there with me and he is a Commander now. Come to think of it he had fair hair too, Ooh Er! (Hello Nige!)

7. Nick Hunt certainly was a creat CO. He was my CO during my Mids year in HMS Troubridge.

8. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Typical double standards between the occifers and the workers - he managed to keep his RD and didn't get jobbed for the VRSM :lol:

9. That is because he had served more than seven years when the VRSM was introduced. Yes I know you had know choice and would rather have an RNR LSGC medal but that is all water under the bridge now. A lot of retired senior officers tried their best for you but the serving brass went along with the change.

10. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Much more acceptable than water over the bridge any day!

11. I remember when I was joining the RN the recruiting people had a PC wallpaper with a picture of Bond and beside it written "Worshipped by women, feared by enemies, trained by the Royal Navy". Does anyone have this?

12. Turned out we couldn't get enough people to cover the event so opportunity was lost, the CO has decreed that to qualify for bounty in 2008 all members of the unit must take part in at least one recruiting event outside of the unit.

Her view is that everybody in the unit is responsible for ensuring we get as many new recruits through the door as possible - if we don't the unit will effectively die.

13. "Turned out we couldn't get enough people to cover the event so opportunity was lost, the CO has decreed that to qualify for bounty in 2008 all members of the unit must take part in at least one recruiting event outside of the unit.

Her view is that everybody in the unit is responsible for ensuring we get as many new recruits through the door as possible - if we don't the unit will effectively die."

Thats highly dubious in my opinion - what about List 5 members? What about people who have to travel a long way and can't be expected to drop everything in order to satisfy recruiting needs?

Is it any wonder we have a retention crisis when we get rubbish like that stuffed down our throats?

14. Looking at that pic of Cdr Bond

Didn't see no dolphins

15. Be nice if some real officers had that much gumption, most of the chinless wonders command about as much respect as gary glitter.
    Might just try to find a good officer and clone the bastard....

16. "Be nice if some real officers had that much gumption, most of the chinless wonders command about as much respect as gary glitter.
    Might just try to find a good officer and clone the bastard...."

Yawn, tell me do they still teach 'class war and how sustain it' and 'maintaining irrational grudges at all times' at RALEIGH? I presume this happens just after you get issued CHIP SHOULDER - FOR THE USE OF?

17. Er, Yeah

18. As Raleigh continues to issues chips, Dartmouth stores seems to have run out of balls.....