Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Jackspeak Discussed On Radio 4's iPM Programme This Morning

I'm pretty certain that she says "A pork pie" as well.

I think that they say that they have a copy of "The Pusser's Rum Guide to Jackspeak" with them in the studio and I think that what she does is flick through the book and pick out a few words. That book is an early copy of Rick Jolly's "Jackspeak"; I have a copy of the most recent version on my bookshelf so looked up the word "growler".

Rick Jolly says:

"Growler (RM)

1 A large chunk of ice which is just awash and difficult to see.
2 A pork pie; NAAFI landmine is a variant.
3 In the Merchant Navy a growler is a towel.
4 At Dartmouth, growler is also the name given to a long and heavy length of rope that the young officers must carry, as a syndicate, from stance to stance in their leadership exercises. The name comes from the cursing and muttering that this item inspires!"

A 'Growler' is slightly smaller than a 'Bergy Bit'. These are the officially recognised terms for bits of ice that are too small to be referred to as a small iceberg, and I don't think they are Jackspeak per se, but are terms that seafarers are more likely to recognise than landlubbers.

I Have just listened to it and a couple of points.

Barrack stantion = old hand as I remember it was someone who had not been to sea for a long time.

I know that I was a Clankie but would the SO and father famine have discussed the menus?

Their pronunciation of Pusser is somewhat questionable.