Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Jacks' pubs

dodger said:
Streaky said:
The Monarch is/was in Gillingham. The favourite pub of the Scylla Greenies.
Ah, I remember it well.........maybe not quite so well after all the scrumps I supped in that place.
I wonder if Black Daff is still alive?

the monarch i emember it well football table and all
We got thrown out because of that piece of equipment (LCT08) but that is another story.

Gave many a submariner a lift down to the ferry. We weren't all bad, as Crusher says. My oppo was a killick sparker on boats. I too have been out 32 years, 23.10.74, so I must know you? or were you my "Q".
My favourite place for the wagon was next to the post office, opposite the Lennox. The lads faces were a picture when they saw you parked up. Most lads who were a bit worse for wear were given a lift with no probs. Only the mouthy drunks got the full treatment.

I am surprised no Pompey ratings have mentioned Cox's (straight out of Unicorn) The Ideal (over the road from the Surry Arms or down on the hard the Invincible (favourite of the WE's from its namesake)

Old mid 80's run ashore route alpha

Rubys, Chippies, Mighty Fine, City Arms, muck Duck, Yorkie Grey, Naval school of dancing.

any WE's remember the Bugle and the Coach house in Fareham

Happy Dayzzzzzzz

All the pompey pubs bring back memories especially the MF and the City Arms (Shaftesbury playing every monday). Suprised no-ones mentioned The Bistro Club (Beasties)
The Monarch in Gillingham- a fine drinking establishment along with the Command House
Friday nights in the Palace in Rosyth, all day session saturday down Rose St and then a recovery sunday afternoon drink-up in the Roxburgh at North Queensferry falling onto the bus back to Cochrane, the joys of being a Londoner based in Rosyth

fishmiester said:
I am surprised no Pompey ratings have mentioned Cox's (straight out of Unicorn) The Ideal (over the road from the Surry Arms or down on the hard the Invincible (favourite of the WE's from its namesake)

Old mid 80's run ashore route alpha

Rubys, Chippies, Mighty Fine, City Arms, muck Duck, Yorkie Grey, Naval school of dancing.

any WE's remember the Bugle and the Coach house in Fareham

Happy Dayzzzzzzz

Route Alpha included Royal Standard (Fred & Lotty) and PT for Chefs, I probably knew you if you were in Rubys a lot, that was my second home.

Bugle in Fareham, Chef at Collingrad in 73/74 drinking London Fog with Kiwis , (Woods, Pernod & coke)

BusterQuin said:
all day session saturday down Rose St and then a recovery sunday afternoon drink-up in the Roxburgh at North Queensferry falling onto the bus back to Cochrane, the joys of being a Londoner based in Rosyth

surely sunday afternoons belonged in the Dumfermline Workingmans Club coz nowhere else was open (in the days before all day opening)

The Rose of England was a very popular watering hole. I wonder how many of you Old timers remember Geordie Joyce, who was part of the fixtures and fittings there, mid 60s.
Then there was the Shipwrights Arms next door to Aggie Westons two of Pompeys finest in my book.

Still in the Pompey/North End/Southsea area. In the 70's and 80's us Wedge Technicians often went upstairs to Marthas up by McDonalds.

If you were up for a big night The Oxford Bars and the Beer Keiller were stonking. Spanners (Joanna's)was for Friday night if you weren't 'brown-bagging' it home.

If you lived over at Gosport there were many good places, my bruv was on boats so drank regularly in the North Star. Over at Rowner, most on the married patch drank in The Spread Eagle or Green Dragon. Wonder what they're like now after the land sell off.

Anyone still live/drink over there?

Spread Eagle is now the Grange, my ex-missus ran it for a few months 5yrs ago, not many matelots, but some good people in their, all the scrotes were kicked out by the previous manager and drank in th Green Dragon
We always knew when it was giro day 'cos midweek takings went up :lol:

thrunger said:
Still in the Pompey/North End/Southsea area. In the 70's and 80's us Wedge Technicians often went upstairs to Marthas up by McDonalds.
Anyone still live/drink over there?

Marthas is now a gay ht spot :cry:

fishmiester said:

I found this out a couple of years back after a long absence from Pompey - took me a while to click what was wrong with the place - it was only after my mate pointing out some guy who had been on a documentory about reggies ( I think) who had been kicked out for being a bit..... pink that we worked out what was wrong LOL

creeper said:
fishmiester said:

I found this out a couple of years back after a long absence from Pompey - took me a while to click what was wrong with the place - it was only after my mate pointing out some guy who had been on a documentory about reggies ( I think) who had been kicked out for being a bit..... pink that we worked out what was wrong LOL

Hope you finished your beer first :wink:

Latest Threads