Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Jacks' pubs

Streaky said:
The Monarch is/was in Gillingham. The favourite pub of the Scylla Greenies.
Ah, I remember it well.........maybe not quite so well after all the scrumps I supped in that place.
I wonder if Black Daff is still alive?

the monarch i emember it well football table and all

dt018a9667 said:
Any one out there remember the Monarch in Chats? They used to say it was like all of Union Street rolled into one. Just think the stories that could be told about that place!!

The favoured drinkig hole of the fwd and aft messes of the Truncheon when in refit 65/66 plus the stagger over the Kyber Pass there and back to Pembroke.

Nutty

When at Culdrose..........yep a wafu !! there is and still is good old Heltson in Cornwall where time stands still.

High street and Main street, tiny town and something like 8 pubs, if you were ever at Culdrose, who can forget "The Bell" so old it still had/has the cobblestone lane down the center of the two bars where the horse buggys used to pull up.

Then if memory serves me correctly last pub on the left hand side was the blue anchor, to this day only one of two pubs in the UK that still brews its ale on the premesis.

Then once full of a dinner time sesh, off to the benches round the boating lake for a kip till 5, then at it again.

Planning a trip back to the UK 2007 for a "remember" visit, wonder if the ale is still pulled from barrel behind the bar and luke warm.

Memories

The Bell, Beehive, Fitzsimmons & blue anchor for spingo.

As chockheads we went to the Hellzef for sunday dts, nice walk or if we were feeling brave couple of tinnies then walk along the beach to porthleven.

Happy Days but shit location, hated every second I was down there once training had finished.

Helston we called it Boomtown because if it hadnt been for culdrose it would be dead.

Seaking824 said:
When at Culdrose..........yep a wafu !! there is and still is good old Heltson in Cornwall where time stands still.

High street and Main street, tiny town and something like 8 pubs, if you were ever at Culdrose, who can forget "The Bell" so old it still had/has the cobblestone lane down the center of the two bars where the horse buggys used to pull up.

Then if memory serves me correctly last pub on the left hand side was the blue anchor, to this day only one of two pubs in the UK that still brews its ale on the premesis.

Then once full of a dinner time sesh, off to the benches round the boating lake for a kip till 5, then at it again.

Planning a trip back to the UK 2007 for a "remember" visit, wonder if the ale is still pulled from barrel behind the bar and luke warm.

Memories

I think you’ll find that if you go up to Worcestershire/Warwickshire you will find more than one or to pubs with their own beer

Streaky said:
The Monarch is/was in Gillingham. The favourite pub of the Scylla Greenies.
Ah, I remember it well.........maybe not quite so well after all the scrumps I supped in that place.
I wonder if Black Daff is still alive?

The Monarch is still standing where it used to be.
It was also a favourite of the Sweeper lads when I was in Pembroke.

whitemouse said:
Geoff_Wessex said:
Outside Pompey Dkyd gates - used to be "King and Queen", then "Ship Anson" - now combined into one Ship Anson. Balmoral, Wiltshire Lamb, Yorkshire Grey, White Swan (Mucky Duck), a few more between there and the Guildhall. Anybody remember the Sussex Arms opposite the Guildhall? Then, "above" the station - Criterion, Albany, couple of others. Commercial Road Pompey, pre-1970. Did notice they've finally knocked down that Tricorn Centre though!

How could I have forgotten the Immoral and the Albany?, now you mention I can now 'see' the layouts of these watering holes.

What was the one that you went downstairs to opposite the harbour station? I think there was an Officers naval tailors (Gieves?) - above it ?

it was called the vic bars, main st entrance i think, and u went round beach side for disco....please dont qoute me as i was a sprog then 1975

As for the Sussex - my old mum stayed there the night before we docked in 1966 (Albion) - I had to advise her of the ladies that frequented there when she said she was 'looked at funny' when she went into the bar !

Can't say I'll miss the Tricorn though

dondon said:
glad to hear it , keep up the good work if your still in , so that's two of you that were decent chap's , you and FMAA tom wilkinson .
i must addmit i came across a brills reg aswel maa ralph swan ( hms zulu ) and l/reg tom watts ( zulu ) they were dimonds. anyone remember MAVIS cpo w reg nelson 83 to 86 most ppl were shite scared of her, but me beeing a flunkie doing a cpo mess dinner found her to be a nice randy sod when pissed lol bless her

Sea King

As dt********* says many, many pubs in UK have micro breweries on premises, both in London and Yorkshire to my knowledge.

Nutty

weejock28 said:
dondon said:
glad to hear it , keep up the good work if your still in , so that's two of you that were decent chap's , you and FMAA tom wilkinson .
i must addmit i came across a brills reg aswel maa ralph swan ( hms zulu ) and l/reg tom watts ( zulu ) they were dimonds. anyone remember MAVIS cpo w reg nelson 83 to 86 most ppl were shite scared of her, but me beeing a flunkie doing a cpo mess dinner found her to be a nice randy sod when pissed lol bless her

blue anchor, outside nelson, is that still there ? used to be used by mainly stewards navy /civvy from the wardroom

I just knew there had to be more than just two.

Just as an aside my late father (ex RN as well) and his mate had a great passion for real ales and trains, what they used to do was meet up three or four times a month (dad from Shakespeare country mate from Yorkshire) going by train and were trying to work their way through the CAMRA (not sue what the acronym is) book of pubs close to the railway stations.
Glad to report that they got a fair few cracked going by his CAMRA book.

Latest Threads