Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Jacks' pubs

Fantastic feedback gents and what about the bands in "Southsea"
Jack Parnel ,Ted Heath, Johnie Dankworth, and who can forget David Whitfield, and Dickie Valentine,
Magnificent

hobbit said:
I saw the BierKeller mentioned a few posts ago that used to be adownstairs joint in Southsea maybe that was it though a different name

Yep , downstairs , very possible , Beer cellar , for sure
:thumright:

The very one - and I'm sure our own Shep Wooley sang in there a few times.... I could be wrong though, having attempted to empty the beerglass boot, the mind does get a bit befuddled to say the least !!

:)

I see no mention of that esteemed centre (par excellence, and creme de la creme !!) of such taste and decor, and known locally as 'The NAAFI' near the Wrennery.
Who could fail to recall, with some fondness, the various ales of reasonable cost per portion, and the inevitable good company that one could encounter ;) ???.

opsroomsweeper said:
Ah the NAAFI Club, AKA The Ranch House. What about the Timber Tavern, Fes Bar(John Garr on the organ) and the Parade, throbbing in the summer of '67. Good days.

Wasn't John Garr from the Fes Bar, a Brown Hatter? and adored Baby Sailors? I think his signature tune on the organ was "Thank Heaven for Smalley Boys".

Happy Days!!

Terry
Yes old John was a hatter, but never bothered us older salts. Best thing about all the pubs in Southsea was all the girls from the mill towns on holiday. One of their favourite sayings(Cue Lancashire/Yorkshire accent).
"Down south for good time, feel like sex tonight."
The summer of love

whitemouse said:
hobbit said:
I saw the BierKeller mentioned a few posts ago that used to be adownstairs joint in Southsea maybe that was it though a different name

The very one - and I'm sure our own Shep Wooley sang in there a few times.... I could be wrong though, having attempted to empty the beerglass boot, the mind does get a bit befuddled to say the least !!

Anyone remember a 'nightclub' near the roundabout at the bottom of Waverley Av in Southsea? Wasn't on the seafront and the bar was downstairs and probably smaller than my sitting room but the 'turn' at the weekend was a brunette 'midget' miming to Gary Glitter 'wanna be in my gang'??

Or was it all some twisted nightmare??

"Portacabin Arms" in Chatham (Ok it was really called The Chatham Arms), Army & Navy, Blue Lagoon, and the Royal Marine when at Pembroke. George & Dragon (never met George but plenty of Dragons) in Gosport, The Star, Fighting Cocks, RA and others while at Dolphin. Gib it was The Prince of Wales, Horseshoe and all place in between. Faslane Imps, Royal and the Station. Pompey had the Three Crowns, Ship Anson, Mucky Duck, Yorkie Gray, Captains Table to name but a few. But the Creme de la Creme has to be The Bistro Club!!

read through all this bthinkin no one has mentioned the chatham arms and on the very last one... bingo i remember jim the scottish faggot behind the bar great music lousy beer good all round matelots pub few scrubbers as well i think the blue lagoon was actually the blue grotto not sure completely tho

Joeanners - Only went twice in all the time I was in the Andrew - weird place - Just a late night water hole - almost like that place out of Star Wars - did not like it - although some went there time after time I always felt uncomfortable there.

psycho-fluffy said:
whitemouse said:
hobbit said:

The Captains Table. Kaltenburge imported larger Always packed - could never understand why though

Anyone remember a 'nightclub' near the roundabout at the bottom of Waverley Av in Southsea? Wasn't on the seafront and the bar was downstairs and probably smaller than my sitting room but the 'turn' at the weekend was a brunette 'midget' miming to Gary Glitter 'wanna be in my gang'??

ajoule said:
psycho-fluffy said:
whitemouse said:
hobbit said:

The Captains Table. Kaltenburge imported larger Always packed - could never understand why though

I believe the name of the pub at the time , 1950s , was the Festival Bar . Twas on a corner maybe but that was a long time back .

Some memories posted here.

In Pompey,

Might Fine, it was rough.
I think Martha's (did they have an upstairs bar that did Indie music?)
A pub past the roundabout, near the cinema that had a disco Thursday nights, its name was some thing to do with Dickens?
Coach Horses, Fareham, did a Zulu warrior on my B,day
Off course the night was rounded of in Spanners.

Got pulled by the old bill one night for walking back with a picnic table that was outside a pub, it seemed like a good idea at the time, would of gone nicely in the mess.

Small Ships bar on the odd occasion.

Guzz

Two Twigs
London Bar
Boobs & Castoffs.

I recall a cider bar, 1/2s only and a decent juke box that sounds like the Star.

Latest Threads