Jack's Defiance!

Discussion in 'History' started by seafarer1939, Jun 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. During WW1 the RN ships Aboukir, Cressy and the Rogue were sunk by U-Boats over they
    toppled flinging sailors in the water with great loss of life.
    One U-Boat surfaced in the gloom and nosed around looking at the seaman.
    Out of the mist came a furious shout from a Seaman "Find me a plank of wood and I'll smash the bow of that Bastard !"
    They don't make them like that any more well, maybe they do but not on the recent incidents I've read where one wimp cried because his music player or whatever was taken away from him.
    If you study RN history you'll find RN sailors were a special breed of men.
    Proud to belong to that breed of sailor,although there may have been a large brown stain around the water where I was swimming!
    Lots of incidents in Naval history and I like finding them,keeps the Service alive even if we have no ships!
    Desk bound *******!
  2. Just as a pedantic point of order, it was the Aboukir, Cressy and Hogue not Rogue, sunk by U9.

pedant mode off.
  3. Glad you made that point I've got it in front of me in a war correspondents book re. the Battle of Aisne where he had a lot of good things to say about the Naval Brigade fighting there.
    Seems it was a book typo.as he has it as Rogue.cheers
  4. To be fair to the Royal Navy he didn't cry very much and an Iranian did flick his ear really, really hard and call him Mr. Bean before taking his iPod away.

5. I hate really hard ear flicks....and as for I Pod confiscation....surely thats against the Geneva convention?

6. I told a young stoker off for sleeping on watch - not only did he cry, but he wanted to resign because the nasty chief told him off - 1979 - so they were pretty soft then too. Mind you I told a young two ringer off once and he complained to the captain. The captain asked me not to be too hard on the men - we were short staffed as it was. Margaret Thatcher increased the pay about that time so we were only about 60% behind civvys