Jack Tar

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Seaweed, Oct 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I thought I would bring to notice 'Jack Tar' by Roy and Leslie Adkins, Abacus ppbk 2009. Trained as archaeologists, the Adkins have branched out into naval history and have done an amazing job in getting under the skin of Nelson's navy as seen from the lower deck.

I could go on and on about this book but perhaps sufficient to recommend it very strongly to anyone who has served in the RN and wants to know what it was like two hundred years ago.

2. Did you see Time Teams excavation of Haslar Seaweed?

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

4. Concur about "Jack Tar" which I've had since 2009, but mine is by Roy and Lesley Adkins.:grin:
    I've just finished "Trafalgar" (The Mammoth book of how it happened) by Jon E.Lewis, Robinson paperback,which contains dozens of anecdotes from Admirals to Seamen of both fleets. It's a "bathroom book", pick it up, read a few pages, same again next time. There's also tons of info on fleet dispositions, signals, fleet tonnages and a complete list of ships of the RN 1794.
    All in all a fascinating read. Also recently read (Pen and Sword Military Classics) "The Battle of Trafalgar" by Geoffrey Bennett, a very similar book but coming at it from a different angle and also full of anecdotes and interesting facts and figures. Both were on offer from Maritime Books a couple of months ago and might still possibly be in their list.

2BM

PS For those interested, Yesterday channel 2100 Monday, "Trafalgar's Unsung Heroes", followed at 2200 by a new series (x6) called "Medieval Dead", examining medieval skeletons.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013