Jack/Matelot

Shipspotter

Badgeman
I’ve been wondering this a long while and thought, I’d bravely ask this on here, and hope it’s in the right section of the forum!

Anyway, is the Jack culture still around within the RN? As in, the old image of jack, a beer in each hand, bird in each arm, fag hanging out his mouth? Or has that all been done away with?

This is literally out of curiosity and nothing else

Many thanks

slim

War Hero
I think that image has long since gone.
You will of course still get the pissheads and thos who spend more effort dodging work than actually doing the job.
Newer ships with better accomodation and internet facilities have helped

WreckerL

War Hero
Mandatory annual fitness tests and having to be at least passed for LH within 12 years has more or less killed off the old beer swilling 3 badge AB sat in the corner of the mess these days, plus smoking has rapidly declined.

The black humour and jolly japes are still there but the youth of today with the habit of filming everything and posting it on social media have had an adverse effect though.

Shipspotter

Badgeman
Mandatory annual fitness tests and having to be at least passed for LH within 12 years has more or less killed off the old beer swilling 3 badge AB sat in the corner of the mess these days, plus smoking has rapidly declined.

The black humour and jolly japes are still there but the youth of today with the habit of filming everything and posting it on social media have had an adverse effect though.
Yeah but I suppose for the health side at least that can only be a good thing!

I’m glad the humour side of it is still there, I imagine there’s a few good laughs to be had!

Latest Threads