Jack dusty's please

Have just been tasked with obtaining or writing a letter to the SO for a LH to hold a PLR.
are there any old a bold S&S ratings out there that can help.
is there a bog standard format or do you just make it up as you go along??
any help would be very much appreciated.

From my experience you don't need a letter or anything for a Leading Hand to hold a PLR. Killick's on small ships have held them for years, and I'm sure the engineering killicks will have had a PLR at some point.

I assume you are probably going to become killick of the mess as that was the reason I had to get permission for a PLR. If I remember rightly the fact you have a PLR as a killick is normally granted by the Captain in a temp memorandum.

Standing by to be corrected

I'm not an SA (I mean LOGS(SC)) but isn't this normally a Captain's Temporary Memorandum - "Approval for LH to hold PLR", normally lists the LHOMS, ERUS LMEM and LSTD.

Try having a search around the P drive on Navystar, there may be an old one in there

Get the Jack Dusty to check his manual on the section about PLRs, quote the article reference the normal holder.How's about:
"Permission is requested that BR MM Article 1234 be waived and permission granted for L/H BLOGGS to become PLR custodian for **** Department/Mess."
Best I can think of 27 years after !!

I was a JD in my day and there is an article in the BR96 (JSP336) that states that the COs permission is required for LHs to hold a PLR. The CO needs to know the value of the loan, how much control the LH will have over the stores and a couple of other things. My memory fails me as i have been out of the circle for a year or two.

Do you mean PLR as per JSP886 Vol 11 Part 3 Ch 4

0415 PERMANENT LOAN ACCOUNT

1. Accountable items which are required for regular use or need to be kept outside the storerooms may, on the authority of the Logistic Officer, be issued on Permanent Loan to Officers, Senior Ratings, MOD Civil Servants and subject to covering agreement within the relevant contract, Contractors’ employees of equivalent status. Where a MOD, or Contractors civilian employee is of a grade which equates to Leading Hand or below e.g. E2, SSK or SK. then the regulations detailed below for Junior rates must be followed In special circumstances, Permanent Loan Records may also be held by Leading Hands and Corporals RM subject to the authority of the Commanding Officer, (or the Logistic Officer, if in the rank of Commander) who is to be advised by the Departmental officer as to:
a. The suitability of the Rating or civilian concerned.

b. The value and range of the items on the PLR.

c. The amount of control the Leading Hand or civilian would be able to exercise over the items in their charge.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
blanket_stacker said:
Have just been tasked with obtaining or writing a letter to the SO for a LH to hold a PLR.
Although I don't have a template with me here, my understanding is that the authority is approved by method of a COTEM or SOTEM. Assuming you're working on board a ship/in a naval base somewhere, there should be a previous, similar TEM in the system somewhere. You may have access to these TEMs within your own unit's intranet; if not see your Ship's Office staff, who will have the relevant File. Then do what the rest of us do - cut 'n' paste! :thumbright:

sgtpepperband said:
Although I don't have a template with me here, my understanding is that the authority is approved by method of a COTEM or SOTEM. Assuming you're working on board a ship/in a naval base somewhere, there should be a previous, similar TEM in the system somewhere. You may have access to these TEMs within your own unit's intranet; if not see your Ship's Office staff, who will have the relevant File. Then do what the rest of us do - cut 'n' paste! :thumbright:
Like I said!
TheCommunicator said:
I'm not an SA (I mean LOGS(SC)) but isn't this normally a Captain's Temporary Memorandum - "Approval for LH to hold PLR", normally lists the LHOMS, ERUS LMEM and LSTD.

Try having a search around the P drive on Navystar, there may be an old one in there

blanket_stacker said:
If you are a "Dusty" then there will be a copy of said SOTEM in your PLR file and the stores pack. If you are stuck then as the Killick Dusty.

Contributor Mode

Sorry about this chaps but it was not until I got to Passed Over Loggie's posting I found out what a PLR was. Being both a L/S and Killick of a mess what ever stores would you hold to require a PLR????

PS Half the other initials also passed over my head. It would be nice if you use a set of initials for the first time in a thread to put in brackets afterwards what it means.

Thank you for your kind attention to my ramble

Nutty

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0
R Blue Jokes 0
AfterSSE Diamond Lil's 5