Jack dusty's please

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by blanket_stacker, Oct 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have just been tasked with obtaining or writing a letter to the SO for a LH to hold a PLR.
    are there any old a bold S&S ratings out there that can help.
    is there a bog standard format or do you just make it up as you go along??
    any help would be very much appreciated.
  2. Am not an SA however, JSP 101 (Defence Writing Guide) maybe albe to steer you in the right direction.
  3. From my experience you don't need a letter or anything for a Leading Hand to hold a PLR. Killick's on small ships have held them for years, and I'm sure the engineering killicks will have had a PLR at some point.
  4. I assume you are probably going to become killick of the mess as that was the reason I had to get permission for a PLR. If I remember rightly the fact you have a PLR as a killick is normally granted by the Captain in a temp memorandum.

Standing by to be corrected
  5. I'm not an SA (I mean LOGS(SC)) but isn't this normally a Captain's Temporary Memorandum - "Approval for LH to hold PLR", normally lists the LHOMS, ERUS LMEM and LSTD.

Try having a search around the P drive on Navystar, there may be an old one in there
  6. Get the Jack Dusty to check his manual on the section about PLRs, quote the article reference the normal holder.How's about:
    "Permission is requested that BR MM Article 1234 be waived and permission granted for L/H BLOGGS to become PLR custodian for **** Department/Mess."
    Best I can think of 27 years after !!
  7. I was a JD in my day and there is an article in the BR96 (JSP336) that states that the COs permission is required for LHs to hold a PLR. The CO needs to know the value of the loan, how much control the LH will have over the stores and a couple of other things. My memory fails me as i have been out of the circle for a year or two.
  8. Do you mean PLR as per JSP886 Vol 11 Part 3 Ch 4

9. JSP 886 Vol 11? Whatever happened to BR 96 ?
  10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Although I don't have a template with me here, my understanding is that the authority is approved by method of a COTEM or SOTEM. Assuming you're working on board a ship/in a naval base somewhere, there should be a previous, similar TEM in the system somewhere. You may have access to these TEMs within your own unit's intranet; if not see your Ship's Office staff, who will have the relevant File. Then do what the rest of us do - cut 'n' paste! :thumbright:
  11. Like I said!
  12. sgtpepperband

There's an echo in here... must be the differing time zones! :relax:
  13. lsadirty, '96 got Jointed to '336 that, in turn, got morphed to '886.
  14. If you are a "Dusty" then there will be a copy of said SOTEM in your PLR file and the stores pack. If you are stuck then as the Killick Dusty.
  15. Killick MA's have been holding PLR's for years!
  16. Contributor Mode

Sorry about this chaps but it was not until I got to Passed Over Loggie's posting I found out what a PLR was. Being both a L/S and Killick of a mess what ever stores would you hold to require a PLR????

PS Half the other initials also passed over my head. It would be nice if you use a set of initials for the first time in a thread to put in brackets afterwards what it means.

Thank you for your kind attention to my ramble

17. The fridge for starters!
  18. IIRC, the messdeck iron, and vacuums, etc. Think the fridge was classed as "Ships fittings".
  19. sgtpepperband

IIRC?! WTF?! 8O
  20. If I recall correctly.