Jack Blairs

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Deeps, Feb 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Its been a few years since i left the Navy , but when i was a young sailor the first thing i did when i was drafted to pompey was out of Nelson maingate cross the road and open a ''Jack Blair'' and a ''Louis Bernard''
    account . My sea dad went nuts but i didnt care because i could by all my run ashore clobber on the never never . I very quickly realised what a complete rip off they both were.
    I was just wondering are they still tradeing and if so are they still selling ''yesterdays clothes at tomorrows prices'' ?
  2. there's still a jack blairs in that spot and i have one on my camp was warned off day one week one to stay well clear
  3. They're also happy to rip off some pongos as well. Was seconded to Blandford Camp (home of White Helmets, ahem, fame) and they're firmly entrenched.
  4. Anyone recall any funny pipes when the wagon came around?

"Jack Blair's trendy menswear"

"Lewis Bernaaaaaaaaard"
  5. ''Do you here , jack blair mens wear , for the man who wants to be noticed is now in attendance on the jetty , yesterdays fashions at tomorrows prices''
  6. Jack Blair trendy Senior Rates wear is now alongside!!

Do You Hear There? Incredibly expensive untrendy jack blair is alongside!
  7. Do you hear there - Naval vuture 'Jack Blair' is now perched on the jetty!! HMS Battleaxe 1994 alongside in Plymouth
  8. d'ya here there - jack blairs desperate sailors wear now emptying wallets on the jetty
  9. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I found it highly amusing when I joined up in the mid 90's and the RN banging on to you how important it was to be financially responsible and at the same time have these VULTURES on a lot of establishments. I opened an account (oh, minimum spend when you open an account is £70....) and closed it very soon after.
    Oi 2SL shippers-if you're reading this, kick these fcukers off every establishment.....
  10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

There goes any sponsorship for RR from Jack Blair.

You'll know the one about Neil Armstrong landing on the moon, Jack Blair wagon pulls up and the driver shouts " Oi mate, can you make a pipe....?"

I'm a Slops and Bauns man. Fenwicks is expensive but quality and great attention to detail. They even polish your gongs when they mount your latest to your ever growing spamlike collection.

Thieves and Hawkes is for Officers of independent means (more money than sense).
  11. Drove past Jack Blair's in Albert Rd yesterday, razed to the ground !! :lol:
  12. Many tot times ago I bought a pair of dress shoes from those bandits, I was still paying for them 3 years later. I became fiscally astute much later in my career.
  13. The limit on your account now is £300. i was duped very early cos its free and was only gettin just over 5 ton a month. since then, on three times the pay, still got a maxed out account. end of the month/ christmas presents/ those low beer money months its just soooo tempting. after all, you only pay £17 back a month... £7 of that is tax!!! :cry:

oh, you got £50?
    its for new jeans.
    why not go to JB's then you can come get trollied with everyone else!
    oh, ok then...
  14. "Jack Blairs naval jailers are now waiting to ambush on the jetty" was one of the many pipes I heard.

I can remember when they used to turn up at Mercury in the early 80's when I was on LRO(G) course and some of us would wander down and make sure the rep was kept busy and then change the price labels over. Great fun ripping him off for a change by purchasing an expensive shirt at a less expensive price.

Not sure why so many lads and lasses got themselves roped into their card scheme. SAPS.
  15. I think I ran up a bill for £800 with JB's when I was in 8O

It was always easy to go there and buy perfume or little gifts for the father or brother or just plain to lazy to hop into town. I know what your all thinking!

Mind you I did buy a decent DVD player from there :oops:
  16. Never did have an account myself, I always preferred the option of waiting until the middle of the month when one of the lads was skint but wants to go out on the pi$$. Off he'd go to JBs, purchase a nice expensive item on his account and immediately sell it down the mess for less than half price - Bargain!!!
  17. Remember the days of going away for a couple months getting back along side in Pompey -- Guess what the first pipe would be ' Jack Blairs Naval Jailers' even before the gangway was open !!!
  18. I remember getting along side in Fort Lauderdale in either 72 or 73 , and there were the same chaps who would be on the jetty in Guzz , could'nt believe it , they were taking measurements for suits for when we got back to Guzz ,Fxxxxxxg parisites , look at photo's now of the shite we used to wear , big round collars etc, pillick's or what , but look at some of the crap they wear today . :roll: :lol:
  19. Yeah I ended up with £400+ with Louie Bastards at 42 cdo. ******* scum bags, mind you it was my fault for being so gullable.

You should be warned about them on day 1 of training.

Can't believe that they are trying to get rid of an honest decent business like Dutchies at CTC yet they let these sharks into military bases.
  20. I did wonder if they were still trading.
    Became a 'member' of Bernard's at the ripe old age of 16.
    First things bought? - a Beatles jacket and a pair of winkle pickers 8) (on tick of course) and they seem to be the fashion now!! :)