I've submitted my application. But...

WannaBeMatlow

Midshipman
So I've done it, Application is in.

Just awaiting the call from the AFCO to move forward. If successful I will be away from my partner (like many of you) and 2 children (3 and 1) for 10 weeks.
Who else here is finding it difficult to comprehend the change in seeing your children for that time?

WannaBeMatlow

Midshipman
It doesn't get easier but you do get used to it.
Appreciate the reply, think the thing pushing me to fight through it is knowing that as a family we will be in a much better position than we are now but it's just that thought that gets me every time of will they even recognise me

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Appreciate the reply, think the thing pushing me to fight through it is knowing that as a family we will be in a much better position than we are now but it's just that thought that gets me every time of will they even recognise me
Trust me they'll recognise you. It's harder on the wife, usually my two boys used to just ask me what prezzies had I brought them when I came through the door after a patrol!

Alfacharlie

War Hero
So I've done it, Application is in.

Just awaiting the call from the AFCO to move forward. If successful I will be away from my partner (like many of you) and 2 children (3 and 1) for 10 weeks.
Who else here is finding it difficult to comprehend the change in seeing your children for that time?
What about a 9 month deployment?

fishhead

War Hero
@WannaBeMatlow Make sure your partner is fully onside with your enforced absence. It helps if they have a good back up such as siblings or parents who can step in and offer advice or support which for practical reasons you're unable to provide. You will be allowed phone calls during training and of course leave periods but none of them are a substitute for your presence in the family home.
Good luck for the future.

Waspie

War Hero
@WannaBeMatlow Make sure your partner is fully onside with your enforced absence. It helps if they have a good back up such as siblings or parents who can step in and offer advice or support which for practical reasons you're unable to provide. You will be allowed phone calls during training and of course leave periods but none of them are a substitute for your presence in the family home.
100% agree. You will need your partner behind you. She will be the one left bringing up the young uns, keeping the house together and making sure you have somewhere to come home to.
Always say your goodbyes on good terms, keep in touch but don't tell them the whole truth. IE, you're having a good time. Likewise when you staggering back from the boozer and decide to call home whilst three sheets to the wind whilst stuffing a kebab down your throat.
Seriously, let her know exactly what's in store. Most of us oldies have lived through it and partners still here to tell the tale.
As for presence in the family home. If you have a strong relationship it will survive.
If your having doubts, give it serious thought. If you or your partner kick up and you don't deploy, remember the poor sod that gets a pier head jump to replace you!!

WannaBeMatlow

Midshipman
100% agree. You will need your partner behind you. She will be the one left bringing up the young uns, keeping the house together and making sure you have somewhere to come home to.
Always say your goodbyes on good terms, keep in touch but don't tell them the whole truth. IE, you're having a good time. Likewise when you staggering back from the boozer and decide to call home whilst three sheets to the wind whilst stuffing a kebab down your throat.
Seriously, let her know exactly what's in store. Most of us oldies have lived through it and partners still here to tell the tale.
As for presence in the family home. If you have a strong relationship it will survive.
If your having doubts, give it serious thought. If you or your partner kick up and you don't deploy, remember the poor sod that gets a pier head jump to replace you!!
Thank you and yeah It's something we've spoken about and we have trust in each other so we're not overly worried about that area and are currently engaged as of August 2020. it's all a lot to take in no doubt but I'm sure we can manage and it can't be worse than where we are at on civvi street. I applied Tuesday night and have already got my date for the Psychometric test and a rough idea on when id starts at Raleigh if everything goes smoothly.

WannaBeMatlow

Midshipman
Thank you and yeah she has her mum here (midlands) which is good but then if bosted down south either Portsmouth or Plymouth then my family will be on hand as they are that way so hopefully she can still get by in the time I'm gone

Latest Threads