Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've been thinking about joining some more.

_Tim_

Banned
I can't really think why I need to go back to college. I can do my A levels from home, and hopefully complete them to a standard that will qualify me to join as an officer.

I'm desperate to join, though. I want to be in now, why? I've wanted to join for a long time. It just makes sense to do it now.

Would I be able to realistically study for extra qualifications, such as A levels - if mine don't end up being up to scratch- and applying for a commission within 2 years?

I don't think people understand how much I want this.

J.J.

Midshipman
You're wanting it too soon! Be patient, concentrate on getting your A levels and you'll be in a far stronger position when you apply. Once you're in you're not going to get much time for A level study, especially in the early years.

_Tim_

Banned
I want it now, I really do. On average, how long does the application process take anyway? I'll be doing my A level exams in January next year anyway.

IB08

Lantern Swinger
For an officer, it takes at least six months to get to AIB, and if you pass, you can be selected for BRNC within a year period. For Ratings, it varies on which branch you are going for.

_Tim_

Banned
I want to go in as a rating, I think. Then probably apply for a commission later on.

I want to go into an engineering discipline. Ideally the submarine fleet as a marine engineering technician.

I'm just desperate to get in.

captainobvious

Lantern Swinger
_Tim_ said:
I want to go in as a rating, I think. Then probably apply for a commission later on.

I want to go into an engineering discipline. Ideally the submarine fleet as a marine engineering technician.

I'm just desperate to get in.

If you CAN go in as an officer, but need to wait, WAIT, you'll still be an officer quicker than if you'd joined as a rating.

Getting a commission 'later on' is hard, and by no means guaranteed.

_Tim_

Banned
It's going to be another 2-6 years at the earliest. I really don't think I can wait that long.

_Tim_

Banned

5 GCSEs to go for a commission from the rates? Is that right?

dunkers

War Hero
Tim, you should really be asking these questions at a recruiting office, as only they can give you official (correct) answers.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
_Tim_ said:

Yes, if under 26, however if you are eligible to apply for officer from the outset, then it's recommended you follow that route.

_Tim_

Banned
dunkers said:
Tim, you should really be asking these questions at a recruiting office, as only they can give you official (correct) answers.

I was hoping someone like Ninja would pop their head in ;)

Ninja_Stoker said:
_Tim_ said:

Yes, if under 26, however if you are eligible to apply for officer from the outset, then it's recommended you follow that route.

And here he is :whew:

What if you're older than 26?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
As a Senior Upper Yardsman, over 26, you need 4 GCSEs including maths & English becauae you will have already have had some leadership expeience.

slim

War Hero
Ninja_Stoker said:
As a Senior Upper Yardsman, over 26, you need 4 GCSEs including maths & English becauae you will have already have had some leadership expeience.

I believe that from 2010 Senior Upper Yardsman is being politically corrected to Senior Upper Metreperson :w00t:
Also the age limit is being raised to 65 to combat ageism. :w00t:

_Tim_

Banned
ah cool, so either way you'll just need GCSEs? I imagine A levels would help anyway, though.

I'm going down to the AFCO a week on Monday to start the process. Hopefully.

slim said:
Ninja_Stoker said:

I believe that from 2010 Senior Upper Yardsman is being politically corrected to Senior Upper Metreperson :w00t:
Also the age limit is being raised to 65 to combat ageism. :w00t:

I'll admit it. I chuckled.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Been to my careers office and thinking about... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
MoD_RSS ODP Engage 2020 – What an amazing week it’s been! MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 28 south-east employers have been recognised in the 2020 Silver Employer Recognition Scheme Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 1 in 8 people in England have now been tested for coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS COVID-19 app has been downloaded over 10 million times MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 1 in 10 people in England have now been tested for coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report looking at how hateful extremists have been exploiting the current pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF Fighter Jets, Surveillance and Refuelling aircraft have been in action across Europe this week in support of NATO allies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Issues with our services have been resolved MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over 21 million pieces of protective equipment have been shipped to the UK from China MoD News 0
J Prnc Mod Caldonia 11th May Has been cancelled Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
janner Have you been Pwned? Bloody Computers 10
MoD_RSS We must protect Children in Armed Conflict: "Children have been robbed of their childhood and forced to participate in brutal wars" MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ‘We've been Santa lot of Elf Assessments’ says HMRC MoD News 0
M Joining as AC but not sure AFCO have been honest about the role Joining the Royal Navy 50
slim Who is to blame for the way Brexit has been Handled? Current Affairs 22
MoD_RSS RPA confirms overdue agri-environment claims have been fully paid MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alok Sharma has been appointed Secretary of State for International Development MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Kemsley Paper Mill (K4) CHP Plant has been granted development consent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Britain has been shaping the world for centuries. That won’t change with Brexit: article by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Companies House has been recognised as a Disability Confident Employer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: WO1 Glenn Haughton OBE has been appointed as the first Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chiefs of Staff Committee (SEAC) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Grave of courageous World War 2 pilot has been rededicated 77 years after his death MoD News 0
J Joining navy if you've been prescribed orthotic insoles by NHS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS News story: Two World War 1 Majors have finally been identified a century later MoD News 0
J My Careers advisor hasn’t been in contact? Joining the Royal Navy 6
MoD_RSS Fatality notice: Sergeant Matt Tonroe has been killed in action in the Middle East MoD News 2
soleil Herald: "Plymouth Royal Navy Medic's Incredible Bravery Has Been Honoured In New Portrait" Bases / Shore Est 3
MoD_RSS News story: Two World War 1 soldiers have finally been identified a century later MoD News 0
J UK resident, been on a USA scholarship, Need a 'residency waiver' HELP? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Y Ships TieI have been History 11
D I have been offered the CIS Role Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Walter_white PRNC soon never been to the gym. Joining the Royal Navy 37
Hooly watch out ship mates my Amazon account has just been hacked Bloody Computers 11
Flatcapper83 It's been 14 month since my interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Sumo Just another day at the office or should have been? Miscellaneous 4
P Been offered ETWE Boats... Need advice! Submariners 22
SONAR-BENDER REALLY been stabbed in the back Diamond Lil's 3
S Changing Trades when youve been allocated a date for Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J Been Accepted For SE officer RFA 51
Guns Sorry, I've been abusing Naval War Hero by.... Diamond Lil's 64
MG Maniac Has anyone told the Woo's its been decommissioned??? Diamond Lil's 6
BillyNoMates There 'aint 'arf been some crabby bas**rds Diamond Lil's 0
matt93 Aet never been to sea? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
Ron Jeremy I've been watching you... Diamond Lil's 16
N The day I thought I had been raped Diamond Lil's 5
R Been told i can attest at Flying fox what to wear? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
janner Has Norway Chris been busy? Diamond Lil's 24
soleil Mail: "The Maternity Military: How Nearly 100 Female Soldiers Have Been Sent Home" Current Affairs 14
NZ_Bootneck Shock horror!! I've been sacked!!! Diamond Lil's 28