I've been thinking about joining some more.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by _Tim_, Jan 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can't really think why I need to go back to college. I can do my A levels from home, and hopefully complete them to a standard that will qualify me to join as an officer.

I'm desperate to join, though. I want to be in now, why? I've wanted to join for a long time. It just makes sense to do it now.

Would I be able to realistically study for extra qualifications, such as A levels - if mine don't end up being up to scratch- and applying for a commission within 2 years?

I don't think people understand how much I want this.
  2. You're wanting it too soon! Be patient, concentrate on getting your A levels and you'll be in a far stronger position when you apply. Once you're in you're not going to get much time for A level study, especially in the early years.
  3. I want it now, I really do. On average, how long does the application process take anyway? I'll be doing my A level exams in January next year anyway.
  4. If everything goes to plan. I think it takes between 3-4 months. Ninja gave a rough guide somewhere.
  5. Ah, I'll have a look for it.
  6. For an officer, it takes at least six months to get to AIB, and if you pass, you can be selected for BRNC within a year period. For Ratings, it varies on which branch you are going for.
  7. I want to go in as a rating, I think. Then probably apply for a commission later on.

I want to go into an engineering discipline. Ideally the submarine fleet as a marine engineering technician.

I'm just desperate to get in.
  8. If you CAN go in as an officer, but need to wait, WAIT, you'll still be an officer quicker than if you'd joined as a rating.

Getting a commission 'later on' is hard, and by no means guaranteed.
  9. It's going to be another 2-6 years at the earliest. I really don't think I can wait that long.
  10. Patience is a virtue.
    You thinking of joining some more of what?

11. I should have phrased it better "I've done some more thinking about joining"
  12. [​IMG]

5 GCSEs to go for a commission from the rates? Is that right?
  13. Tim, you should really be asking these questions at a recruiting office, as only they can give you official (correct) answers.
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yes, if under 26, however if you are eligible to apply for officer from the outset, then it's recommended you follow that route.
  15. I was hoping someone like Ninja would pop their head in ;)

And here he is :whew:

What if you're older than 26?
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As a Senior Upper Yardsman, over 26, you need 4 GCSEs including maths & English becauae you will have already have had some leadership expeience.
  17. I believe that from 2010 Senior Upper Yardsman is being politically corrected to Senior Upper Metreperson :w00t:
    Also the age limit is being raised to 65 to combat ageism. :w00t:
  18. ah cool, so either way you'll just need GCSEs? I imagine A levels would help anyway, though.

I'm going down to the AFCO a week on Monday to start the process. Hopefully.

I'll admit it. I chuckled.