ITV News: "Boxes Of Navy Ammunition Found On Cornish Beaches"

Some gunner somewhere will be sweating a bit when they check his/her records :)
That's why as an Officer of the Quarter I preferred having missiles and air weapons - much easier to count :).

(However, we did lose a Mk 46 once - long story and slightly embarrassing! :oops:)

Hmmm...

I wouldn't have thought a full box would have been buoyant enough to float long enough to be "washed up on the beaches".

An opened box still containing ammunition would also not be watertight.

Something odd here... :confused:

Edited to add a quote from Soliel's link in post #5
"The sealed boxes containing the ammunition float, so they could have travelled miles on water."

Fair enough, every day's a school day.

Just a thought though, we're not the only navy that uses Phalanx...

Last edited:
That's why as an Officer of the Quarter I preferred having missiles and air weapons - much easier to count :).

(However, we did lose a Mk 46 once - long story and slightly embarrassing! :oops:)
I must have rolled off the deck during OOW manoeuvres!!!!!!!

Honest!!!!

I recall a day doing nothing but dump ammunition overboard...Beaufort Dyke. He/She could say it was lost there,and drifted south over the years.:rolleyes:

Spotter Mode Active//
01 Country Code in the NSN - It's American Stock
//Spotter Mode In-Active
Doesn't necessarily mean it's not from a UK unit though, I've had lots of kit that had stores items with 01 in the NSN.
Not being of the General Service persuasion though, and so having very little exposure to 20mm ammunition I don't know if we make our own or get it from the yanks.

It shouldn't be too difficult to trace the culprit given that the batch No. is clearly visible.

Manufacturers records, storage, delivery information, end user etc. will (probably) all be logged somewhere.
There'll be a paper trail or electronic data trail or something.

It shouldn't be too difficult to trace the culprit given that the batch No. is clearly visible.

Manufacturers records, storage, delivery information, end user etc. will (probably) all be logged somewhere.
There'll be a paper trail or electronic data trail or something.
It wont be traced back to a certain desk at a large multi-national in Hull, I know that for sure!! :D

Latest Threads