It's the 99 percent of lawyers who give the rest a bad name.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by hobbit, Dec 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: It's the 99 percent of lawyers who give the rest a bad n

Mr JUSTICE Einfeld was formerly of the FEDERAL court, so it is worse than being a Lawyer

2. I think your header is a tad inflammatory, it is like saying that all Colonials are convicts or you all shag 10 year old aborigine girls and don't get a decent sentence.

I can assure you that if you were my client, I and my team would work extremely hard on your behalf and in your best interest, liaising with you by letter, phone and email. I studied for 7 years for my qualification and if you want a shite professional that does not know what they are doing then you can pay less and get a crap service.

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Ooh look! Hobbit's posted another link from an Australian newspaper and does not quantify the story... :roll:

4. Re: It's the 99 percent of lawyers who give the rest a bad n

Rosina, please remember that my Christmas card was for personal consumption only, not everyone should get a look at my chaps.
    NZB

5. Yes, I ' borrowed ' the words from Larry the Cable Guy, a comedian, so the words were said in jest. It's only 95% really The case in question is no joke however with lies and perjury all over a speeding fine involving peanuts for one who has heaps no doubt.

SPB , FFS stick to your job, hounding pissed, helpless matelots. Mistakes on the web are made by many, yes I've noticed a few FUs in your contributions. Mature contributors understand this and ignore such errors so try to do the same. Seasons greetings to you nevertheless,

6. Re: It's the 99 percent of lawyers who give the rest a bad n

Interesting, as the QC appearing for Einfeld was the prosecutor in the Lindy Chamberlain case in the dingo/baby matter. Lindy was eventually released from prison following an appeal when the evidence that convicted her was found to be suspect or RS.

His barrister, Ian Barker QC, urged Deputy Chief Magistrate Helen Syme to discharge the case, saying there was not enough evidence Einfeld was behind the wheel on any of the four separate occasions

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=121373

7. sgtpepperband

Hobbit: You bit... :twisted:

8. Contributor Mode

Rosie

Having been involved in the legal game and I mean GAME, both Criminal and Civil for 30 years and having a wife who was a legal secretary for 40 years I can assure you that the cost of the legal Representative bears no relation to is efficiency and that the majority of Legal Professionals I have dealt with do not give a particularly good service taking in most cases the easy or soft option for themselves rather than that which is in their their client's best interest.

With Courts also being an incestuous organizations, Judges and their ilk, have all been Lawyers, they are loath to enforce any rules or regulations that exists particularly in the matter of pre-trial hearings. It ius only ib Chambers you are likley to hear an open criticism of a Legal Representivies actions.

Like the Palace of Westminster, mostly occupied by legally trained people the Legal Profession is one of the last bastions of privilege and arrogance who are totally unable to accept the fact that many of their numbers fail to give value for money.

Nutty

9. sgtpepperband

Nutty: Your comment is valid, based on your previous experience, but the criticism - re: value for money Vs. efficiency - is not exclusive to Legal Advisers; you could say that about most tradesmen (and to a lesser extent, service personnel too).

However, like Policemen, nobody will admit to be best mates with a Lawyer - until they need one to represent them in Court! 8O

10. Yep, sad innit :tp:

11. I am sorry you have bad experiences Nutty, but please remember that I am a conveyancer, I have 6 girls in my team and we would not survive if we did not get people into or out of the houses they wish to buy or sell.

12. Re: It's the 99 percent of lawyers who give the rest a bad n

Having worked in the Prison Service for 15 years before retiring, All I have to say is that Barristers are the most unprincipled, and highest paid liars I have ever come across. Even when they know a scummer is guilty, they will tear witnesses against their client apart. A pox on their houses.
    RoofRat

13. Re: It's the 99 percent of lawyers who give the rest a bad n

First I would point out that I am not a lawyer, however what would the world be like without them? The prisons would be full of people whose convictions were dodgy to say the least. And the prison staff really would have a hard time. Fact is at worst lawyers are a neccessary evil, and we have created the conditions for this situation.

14. sgtpepperband

RoofRat: But if you were in court accused of a crime which you agree you might have had some involvement with (because - God forbid - sometimes criminals go to court too!), would you rather stand there and be convicted without and legal representation, or would you prefer to have someone to do anything to try to lessen the sentence awarded by the Judge?

I am not an apologist for the legal profession, but in my job I see them as a necessary inconvenience, rather than the enemy. In fact, I have learned many skills from solicitors I have dealt with in a professional capacity and my attitude is that the better I do my job, the harder it is for them to do theirs.

15. My only experiences with the English legal system have been conveyancing and out of two conveyancers one was described by my Scots lawyer as incompetant and the other was at best average. Of course in those days the objective was to pay as little as possible for conveyancing so perhaps it was really my fault.

16. But SGP, isn't that in a sense what it's all about?

And of course barristers/Lawyers are there to strongly question witnesses -but it does work both ways; they are also there to weed out the liars who might otherwise incriminate someone, or who are wriggling to get off the hook. The tenor of most of the thread was that thay are just there to get scallywags off the hook.

My experiences of the legal system so far have been unexciting - conveyancing, and wills and power of attorney before I went to play in the sandpit. And all of it done efficiently and to my best advantage.

17. Re: It's the 99 percent of lawyers who give the rest a bad n

Rosie

In most case of house sale in the companies my wife worked for the only thing a Solicitor did was sign the paper work all the other work was done by a secretary in half the time Legal Firms claim it takes them to do now. try telling any Legal firm or Solicitor that from exchange of contrats to completion can be done in two weeks if the will to do so is there.

SPB

We were talking about the legal industry not others trades but I do agree with you.

Further I operated at court in the days before the CPS when we dealt personally with all matters at Magistrates Court and prepared all the papers for Crown Court. In opposition to Solicitors and Barristers, in many cases clients were advised to plead Not Guilty and in spectacular case of mine the man, of previous good character, who should of got probation for handling £800 worth of musical instruments if had pleaded Guilty at his first appearance received 4 years for a £40,000 fraud and attempting to pervert the course of justice as the remit of the investigation was expanded to prosecute the not guilty plea to handling stolen goods. That was good advice he received, I think not.

Nutty

18. sgtpepperband

PinkMafiosi/Nutty: Concur with your POVs; my main point being that lawyers are a necessary (but not not always welcome) profession. I would rather have an average lawyer represent me than not have one at all.

19. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Shakespeare, Henry the something part something:

'Let's kill all the lawyers'.