It's a quagmire if you go that far and try to take over Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Oil_Slick, Aug 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: It's a quagmire if you go that far and try to take over

And I thought it was hindsight that was supposed to be 20/20 not foresight......

2. Re: It's a quagmire if you go that far and try to take over

Iraq is one of only a handful of countries in the world not under the control of the wealthy banking elite.
    To my mind the whole reason for the war was to change that, despite the obvious lessons of history, and I fear it will go on until that change is brought about.
    Most of the other countries are on the most wanted list of the U.S; seems very smelly to me.

3. Re: It's a quagmire if you go that far and try to take over

Saddam tried to set up an oil bourse so that he could trade Iraqi oil in Euros. That was never going to fly because it challenged the existing trading structure that ensures that every drop of oil produced in the world is traded in US$.

Guess which other country is presently trying to set up it's own oil bourse??

RM

4. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Re: It's a quagmire if you go that far and try to take over

“…sir, if we’d have ‘pressed on’, as you say…and taken Baghdad, we’d still be stuck there like a dinosaur in a mudpool…â€

Norman Schwartzkopf – 1994

Levers

5. Re: It's a quagmire if you go that far and try to take over

6. I think he was alluding to Venezuela.

7. Me I don't go for all these fancy theories, rather that the Shrub got fed up with SH waving two fingers at him because Daddy was frightened to go all the way.

8. Re: It's a quagmire if you go that far and try to take over

The Dollar is a fiat currency, it's only value is that OPEC requires alll oil transactions to be paid for and sold in $$$$$.

This allows the US Treasury to print any amount of $$$ and artifically boost the USA's wealth becuase everyone has to buy $$$$. As long as Oil is bought in $$$$ this gravy train will never hit the buffers, as soon as the Euro becomes an oil currency USA LLc is bust.

It's all here…

http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2006/cr021506.htm

9. Re: It's a quagmire if you go that far and try to take over

But isn't that all to much for the Shrub to unerstand unlike two fingers.

10. Re: It's a quagmire if you go that far and try to take over

Look beyond shrub, it's 'the folks on the Hill' what calls the shots.

11. Re: It's a quagmire if you go that far and try to take over

USA Inc. is a busted flush. The present sub-prime loan crisis - caused by a mountain of US consumer debt is just a foretaste of things to come. The US Federal Debt stands at around 9.5 Trillion Dollars and 'hide the debt' is a Washington shell-game that is about to come off the rails.

The Clinton administration left a 3 Trillion Dollar surplus - so in round figures Bubbleboy has spent 3+9.5 = 12.5 Trillion Dollars in the past 7 years. It is only dollar oil trading and the ability to print an endless supply of dollar bills to support those transactions that is staving off a masive recession. King George's administration is dead in the water and 'the folks on the hill' led by Reid and Pellosi have already forced the resignations of Rumsfled / Rove / Abu Gonzales. Next will be Cheney when he is nailed for war profiteering.

RM

12. Re: It's a quagmire if you go that far and try to take over

http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/11-27b-04.asp

This tends not to get noticed as, probably, it's not quite so easy to start a shooting match with Venezuela. The US has been making economic life difficult for them, though, and Chavez is duly demonised. It could be that Johnny Persian is on the back of the camel's hump again on this intention. Venezuela was pushing the argument back in 2003.
    http://www.globalpolicy.org/nations/sovereign/dollar/2003/0624euro.htm

Sorry for any Thread drift but the bigger picture is important. Of course control of the oil market is an important factor in Iran's place in the "axis of evil" but its shade of Islam probably outweighs it.