It's a good thing that submarines are smaller than whales

pg55555

Lantern Swinger

It's a good thing that submarines are smaller than whales and never come up as near as 50 feet from the surface ;

It would seem that images from ordinary commercial satellites can spot Southern Right Wales up to 50 ft below the sea's surface - the next generation satellite (due for a summer launch) should perform much better.

(All three links are basically the same story)

Scientists count whales from space

Scientists are whale watching from space - latimes.com

High-Res Satellites Help Track Whale Populations | LiveScience

There is so much I could say, but for once won't. Maybe Google has some ideas, but of course you can't believe everything you read on the interweb. Or can you?

Be afraid, be VERY afraid!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I would've thought a geo-stationary military satellite would be able to take still pictures in various optical wavelengths and overlay the imagery to record and detect any changes as a "target" crosses its field of view.

How the fcuk does anyone get the idea, "It's a good thing that submarines are smaller than whales and never come up as near as 50 feet from the surface ;"?
Blue whale, 98 feet, Astute, 318 feet.
Oh, oh! the OP is a troll isn't he? He's fcuking well reeled me in.

I would've thought a geo-stationary military satellite would be able to take still pictures in various optical wavelengths and overlay the imagery to record and detect any changes as a "target" crosses its field of view.
Great at the equator, but but other orbits they can only go directly over the pole every 90 mins ish and anywhere else twice in 24 hrs

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0