It's a good thing that submarines are smaller than whales

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by pg55555, Feb 13, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. .

It's a good thing that submarines are smaller than whales and never come up as near as 50 feet from the surface ;

It would seem that images from ordinary commercial satellites can spot Southern Right Wales up to 50 ft below the sea's surface - the next generation satellite (due for a summer launch) should perform much better.

(All three links are basically the same story)

Scientists count whales from space

Scientists are whale watching from space - latimes.com

High-Res Satellites Help Track Whale Populations | LiveScience

2. If you meant Wales the first is correct, as for the other, give or take a foot or two

3. The Sat has to be overhead and a calm sea, Satellites on a Polar orbit are predictable.

4. There is so much I could say, but for once won't. Maybe Google has some ideas, but of course you can't believe everything you read on the interweb. Or can you?

Be afraid, be VERY afraid!

5. X and XE craft were smaller than whales, apart from that....

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I would've thought a geo-stationary military satellite would be able to take still pictures in various optical wavelengths and overlay the imagery to record and detect any changes as a "target" crosses its field of view.

7. How the fcuk does anyone get the idea, "It's a good thing that submarines are smaller than whales and never come up as near as 50 feet from the surface ;"?
    Blue whale, 98 feet, Astute, 318 feet.
    Oh, oh! the OP is a troll isn't he? He's fcuking well reeled me in.

8. Great at the equator, but but other orbits they can only go directly over the pole every 90 mins ish and anywhere else twice in 24 hrs

9. .

Brandy E

Oh dear ......... straight over someone's head.

10. Not who you think and not in the way you think, though.
    Linear thinking? Many!:applaud:

11. .

Sad when someone can't acknowledge their error.

12. I wholeheartedly agree.