Italian Ships captured by Royal Navy in Eritrea

Discussion in 'History' started by napy, Nov 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good morning,
    I'm a young Italian officer, I'd like to know the fate of the italian warships captured by english in Eritrea on april 1941. I'm talking about some water carrier ships (Sile, Bacchiglione and Sebeto), tugs (Baia,Oneglia,Pirano and Possente),gunship Porto Corsini.In Italy we know only that they were captured or salved and put in service but without any other informatio (English name and, dates of entering in service and disposal or final fate).

Thanks in advance

Marco from Genova

2. Gunship Porto Corsini was lost Linky

3. Mod Edit:

Post deleted to prevent pointless thread deviation. Capice?
    :wink:

4. The gunship Porto Corsini was captured 8th April 1941 as the British captured Massawa. She was renamed General Platt and continued to serve in the local area, being sold in June 1946.

Tug BAIA. Name unchanged. Lost in tow between Mogadishu and Mombasa Nov 3 1942.

Tug Pirano was initially scuttled in Massawa to blockade the port facilities, but was later salvaged.

It seems the three water carriers were just left afloat in Massawa and not taken up by the RN.

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Mod Edit:

Post deleted to prevent pointless thread deviation. Capice?
    :wink:

6. Thanks alot to everybody, I know that is a very difficolt matter but in Italy we don't know anything about that due to lack of information after the capture and the size of vessels....

Thanks

P.s.: sorry for the English, correctly was British

7. Benvenuto Napy et come stai?

il mio padre è italiano, nasceva in dei Cava Terrini, vicino a Napoli ma vive in Inghilterra ora.

Il mio italiano è non è buono!

8. Do I understand correctly that you would also like to know the vessels' displacements?

9. Very belatedly, may I add a little to this enquiry? Some of the Italian warships were deliberately run aground to avoid capture. I have details of what followed, but my interest centres around the exchange of the Itailian crews with their British counterparts, in POW camps in Italy. This involved some 800 men, mostly seamen and Royal Marines who were involved in the raid on Tobruk. The exchange took place in Turkey, as the neutral power. There is an excellent article, written by Michael Wilson, "The Exception to the Rule" which covers the whole subject. I have a copy, and also, additional information.