Italian aircraft carrier Cavour

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, Oct 31, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. image.jpg Just had a couple of pictures sent to me, The ship can support eight VTOL (vertical take-off and landing) aircraft such as AV-8B Harrier or F-35 joint strike fighter VTOL variant, or 12 helicopters, such as the EH101, NH 90 or SH-3D, or a mix of platforms.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  2. Those Harrier thingy's are out of date.;-P
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Nice to see that the counties in the most financial shit are still operating a carrier with a fixed wing element, maybe they don't have Air Staff with a inferiority complex!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
    • Like Like x 2
  4. I drove down the motorway from Pisa to Siena the other week, it was like the surface of the moon. Reality is they've got an aircraft carrier (how often can they get it to sea?), but they haven't resurfaced *any* of their roads since 2009. It really does come across as a country teetering on the brink at the moment. Personally, I'm quite glad to be in the UK, even without Shars.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I've seen flight decks like that! :)

6. Compared to what? I know your comment was tongue-in-cheek but the AV8B II+ is decent bit of kit and will give a few of the new toys a black eye. It's also superb at doing its job for the USMC; providing close air support for the grunts on the beach.
  7. If they use all the Gucci bits left over from the GR9 jumble sale. :(

• Like Like x 1
  8. I don't think it sails that often or has travelled as far as former RN carriers.
  9. Pontius, you could not believe how far into my cheek my tongue is.

The harrier issue is something that really sticks in my throat and makes me hate the RAF with a passion.
    • Like Like x 3