it is true

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by babystew, May 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. USN Officer Defends RN Sub Training
    Category: Defence
    Date: 31/10/2006
    After our revelations about the Royal Navy's elite Perisher course for the training of submarine commanders, we have been contacted by a US Navy officer who recently took part in the course. He talked exclusively to, and defended the quality of training.
    Article continues...
    The Perisher course takes place concurrently with a Royal Dutch Navy course, with covers similar skills but involves drinking coffee instead of tea. During this joint exercise, the Royal Navy submarines are given the code name "Tea" and the Royal Dutch Navy submarines are "Coffee". (Their respective surface fleets are code named "Milk" and "Two Sugars".)
    Each year, two United States Navy officers take part in the Perisher exercise. One of them told of his experience of the course:
    "The little cultural differences are what really get you. I was nearly thrown off the course just after I boarded the submarine. Somebody asked if I would like a cup of tea, and without thinking I said, 'A coffee would be great, thanks.'
    "The officer in charge roared, 'COFFEE? Do I look like a bloody savage? This isn't the bloody Royal Dutch Navy! I shall have you bloody keel-hauled!'
    "He was reaching for the free bottle of Scotch, but I managed to convince him just in time that I was joking to break the ice. Of course, it would have been easier for me to just go on the Dutch course and drink coffee like we do in the US Navy, but I didn't come here for an easy ride.
    "The hardest part of the course was plotting courses to Gibraltar all the time. The captain of a US Navy submarine doesn't plot courses to Gibraltar, he has people to navigate for him. He just has to sit back, drink coffee and accuse the Executive Officer of being a communist.
    "The other main difference is that US Navy sub captains usually know how nuclear reactors work in great detail. If you ask a Royal Navy officer how the reactor works, he'll say something like 'Oh, I don't bloody know, the whatsitsname spins round to propel the thingymajigger, I should expect.'
    "All in all, the British people should be proud of the Royal Navy's Perisher course. I found it very challenging but also rewarding, and ending up with one of the most respected sub commander qualifications in the world certainly made up for not getting a free consolation bottle of Scotch like they give to guys that fail the course
  2. No.

The whatsitsname does not spin round to propel the thingymajigger.
  3. Busy duty then Joe?
  4. All i can say about the perisher course is cleaning the 4.5 turret roof while the ships is going balls out straight at subs and trying to turn on a penny at mach 5 speeds is not an experience i want to repeat. :) Even harnessed on it was worrying.
  5. Then join boats and you will never have to clean the upper deck or any extenal attachments again as they are washed daily.

6. Shame the internal occupants don't feel inclined to indulge in regular washing though
  7. As Quentin Crisp once said you can only get so dirty and then it stops so why fight against it and reach to totally dirty tolerance point and hold it there.

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I saw some modern ones the other day and they looked very clean and shiny
  9. Why do they bring up washing? only dirty people need to wash.